The bail out 3 changed the game | Syracusefan.com

The bail out 3 changed the game

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I haven't read all the posts so I apologize if a thread is already running. That foul call changed the tenor of the game.

That said UCONN outfought and out executed (can you out execute a team that apparently doesn't have a plan to execute?) us. Also they did it without two starters so can all of us stop with their program is dead. We are a MTSU non-upset away of being looked at in the same way.

I didn't thing we would win last night and after the loss I looked at our schedule and I think 16 or 15 wins is where we will be. We are what we are - we aren't young (3 graduate students, an experienced senior, a Soph who has played big time in a FF, and a Soph getting his first major burn but got run during his frosh year in big spots). I am sure we will get better, but other teams get better too, and it's hard to make Lydon a post player (he gets switched off to guards by opposing coaches for a reason), Frank a finisher, White anything but a bomber, etc.

JB will be interesting to watch - we can't survive running a Nat Holman offense hoping that we hit enough 3's to win.

It was huge. I made a few comments during the game thread and chat room to remember that play. He only made 2 of them, but plays like that get people going. It was also a bad call. Double clutching and raising your knee to draw contact isn't a foul.

It was a foul. The ref could have swallowed the whistle but it was a foul.
We scored 50 points the bailout had nothing to do with that. Our coaching staff makes no adjustments to scheme for offense. We are a 1 trick pony that effort can stop.

It was a foul. The ref could have swallowed the whistle but it was a foul.
We scored 50 points the bailout had nothing to do with that. Our coaching staff makes no adjustments to scheme for offense. We are a 1 trick pony that effort can stop.
I agree it was a foul. I stand by that it changed the momentum and tenor of the game.

Bilas questioned the call. The UConn kid stuck out his leg.

Yeah, that's my issue. In theory that makes every play where the defense touches the offensive player a foul. I prolly call it too though if I'm an official. Lol

It was huge. I made a few comments during the game thread and chat room to remember that play. He only made 2 of them, but plays like that get people going. It was also a bad call. Double clutching and raising your knee to draw contact isn't a foul.

It wasn't a foul. It was actually a really good defensive play. If the kid had shot straight up, Frank would have blocked it.

Hated that call. Jumping awkwardly into a guy in a situation a shot had a 3% of going in should not be rewarded. And I'd say the same thing if it was SU benefiting.

I always hate that call, against us or the opponent, when the "shooter" jumps into the defender.

But this didn't even rise to that level. The UConn guy jumped near Howard, who wasn't even in his plane. That was a ridiculous call.

The game turned when Ollie switched to m2m after the TO. It felt like a 10 minute scoring drought after that. And the irony is, back in the day when JB would occasionally switch to m2m when things were looking bleak, the players would often come out energized and it would spark better movement and confidence on both ends of the floor.

I assume only the NBA has the rule against a shooter kicking out his leg to draw contact? In the NBA, that 100% would not have been a defensive foul, even if golden boy LeBron was shooting it. I'm guessing the college game is behind the 8-ball again and hasn't implemented a rule for that nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume only the NBA has the rule against a shooting kicking out his leg to draw contact? In the NBA, that 100% would not have been a defensive foul, even if golden boy LeBron was shooting it. I'm guessing the college game is behind the 8-ball again and hasn't implemented a rule for that nonsense.

Good question. Don't know myself but look forward to the answer.

ftr, I thought that one foul call against Coleman was considerably worse. The one when he established position well before the shooter gathered for the layup, stayed completely vertical, didn't slide his hips into the offensive player at all, and there was hardly any contact, yet it was somehow a foul.

I think we have fouled more 3 point shooters through 8 games this year than we did all of last season.
Nah, it seemed to happen a lot last season, too.

If you want to complain about UConn's last shot (marginal foul by Battle) be more angry that it was just another instance of SU having no weak side rebounding...like we almost never have any weak side rebounding. We have no concept of rebounding positioning. Inexcusable for a team at our level. And it's not just this team this year.

If you want to complain about UConn's last shot (marginal foul by Battle) be more angry that it was just another instance of SU having no weak side rebounding...like we almost never have any weak side rebounding. We have no concept of rebounding positioning. Inexcusable for a team at our level. And it's not just this team this year.

It was a really bad, almost airball, miss. Those are easier for the offense to rebound than the defense.

It was a really bad, almost airball, miss. Those are easier for the offense to rebound than the defense.
Yes, the defenders are anticipating some sort of carom that doesn't happen and often end up looking and moving in the wrong direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom