The Best of Van Morrison | Syracusefan.com

The Best of Van Morrison

Had this playing in the background as I did the "Sunday Articles"

Stevenson was kind enough to send me some great bootlegs a few years ago. I have practically worn them out. VM is on my bucklist of people I'd like to see perform in person before kick meets the bucket.;)

Looks like I'll have to travel to Great Britain as he only performs there this year:mad:
Likewise. Stevenson sent me the same and Van is probably the only one of my favorites that I have not seen. Almost went down to Randalls Island a couple years ago.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Great story. It was back in something like 1984. Van was appearing at the Tower Theatre in Upper Darby, PA. Didn't know until the day of the show that I could attend. Went to the ticket store (pre-computers, pre-internet, etc.).

They told me that, while the show was sold out, sometimes 'comp' tickets get turned back in, and they took my name and number. Called me back around 4 pm, told me that 'great seats' had been turned in. Went up and got a voucher that I was supposed to present at the Tower box office. Tickets were in Row AA. I figured, 27th row. But, noooooo! Row AA is the FRONT ROW at the Tower! One of the great concerts of all-time. Mose Allison was the opener. Van had like an 8-piece band with him (plus background singers) featuring Mark Isham and great sax/flute guy Pee Wee Ellis, among a group of stellar musicians. The headline of the review in the Inquirer said it best, "Transcendent Concert At the Tower". Unreal. If you want to get a sense of what he was playing around then, check out his "Live At Belfast" album:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_Grand_Opera_House_Belfast

Still makes me smile today. Here's a reason why:

And check this out. One my all-time fave Van songs from that period, the slow-building but triumphant 'Vanlose Stairway'. From a 2010 BBC concert with fellow blue-eyed soul man Georgie Fame (remember the Blue Flames and 'Yeah Yeah'?).

This gives me chills:

Great story. It was back in something like 1984. Van was appearing at the Tower Theatre in Philly. Didn't know until the day of the show that I could attend. Went to the ticket store (pre-computers, pre-internet, etc.).

They told me that, while the show was sold out, sometimes 'comp' tickets get turned back in, and they took my name and number. Called me back around 4 pm, told me that 'great seats' had been turned in. Went up and got a voucher that I was supposed to present at the Tower box office. Tickets were in Row AA. I figured, 27th row. But, noooooo! Row AA is the FRONT ROW at the Tower! One of the great concerts of all-time. Mose Allison was the opener. Van had like an 8-piece band with him (plus background singers) featuring Mark Isham and great sax/flute guy Pee Wee Ellis, among a group of stellar musicians. The headline of the review in the Inquirer said it best, "Transcendent Concert At the Tower". Unreal. If you want to get a sense of what he was playing around then, check out his "Life At Belfast" album:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_Grand_Opera_House_Belfast

Still makes me smile today. Here's a reason why:

Did the same thing for a Stevie Nicks concert. Called the first day they went on sale and all they had left was limited view. Someone tipped me off about calling the day of the show. Got tickets in the center aisle ten rows from the stage. She was amazing that night and I could actually see her.

The venue holds prime seats for the artists and themselves for friends, family or politicians. They most always have more than they need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom