The best way to evaluate a class | Syracusefan.com

The best way to evaluate a class

billsin01

All American
Well, the second-best way since none of us are actually patient enough to wait a couple years.

I spend an inordinate amount of time on these boards bashing the star system (yes, I would like 5 star kids, I just find it useless for deciphering the differences between kids outside the top 200 or so). I also tend to think a program's development plan and S&C have much more to do with on-field success than recruiting since I believe most coaches have a pretty good idea of what a football player looks like.

But, despite all my objections, I still think it's fun to evaluate a class and -- admittedly as a non-recruitnik (I have three kids) -- this is how I find best to do it.

1. Numbers
Numbers aren't exciting but I tend to think, generally, that you're more likely to find a good DT if you bring in 3 every year than you are if you bring in one -- even if he has a magical 4th star. But we needed help on the DL and got it in the form of five players. Our offensive line is thin and only marginally effective -- we needed help and we got 4 bodies. Two key areas. Also, we need playmakers. Tough to really judge that but I think it's fair to be excited about the Morgans and Whighams and Thompsons. Morris seems like a good athlete and fills a need at RB. Broyld getting a shot at QB certainly ups the talent quotient there, though we'll see if he sticks. Needed another LB so Whitehurst hurts. But overall, I think they were able to address needs, particularly on the lines.

2. Commit date/offers
I tend to think players probably tend to fudge offers a bit and I sincerely doubt Scout or Rivals are reporting them accurately. That said, it's good to have BCS offers. I also think you can feel pretty comfortable with a recruit if he commits very early in the process since it means the staff truly wanted him. For example, the Barrett kid from CBA. Not sure how good he'll be and i know he didn't have other offers listed, but I like that he committed in March of last year. To line him up 11 months out, the staff must have liked something about him. Same for Palmer, Cornelius, Coleman and Knapp -- Not the most impressive offer list; not much insinuation that they were courted late by other schools. But they were locked up early so I tend to trust the staff on those.

Guys who committed later in the process tended to be guys with plenty of options: Morgan, MPB, Hilliard, Manley, Morris. The only guy that appeared to maybe be somewhat "B-listish" is Zian Jones from the standpoint that he didn't have a huge offer list and may have been something of a safety net with Brantley waffling (just pure conjecture on my part) but even he appears to be a legit option and should help from a depth perspective at a minimum.

Key states: NY/NJ/FL and to a lesser extent OH
We don't have to (and won't) get every NYS prospect and we don't need to sign 5 FL kids every year. But it's hard to ignore that it's good to recruit well at home and there seems to be a lot of talent (and always has been) in FL and NJ. How did we do? Meh. Decent in NYS if you consider the Broyld/Morgan/McFarlane trio. Weak in NJ, OK in FL (Whigham and Washington) but a bit thin. If we can continue to mine GA and PA for some key guys, that helps but we need to be better in NJ and FL and Marrone said as much.

Late defections vs. flips
A seedy part of the process but it's just going to be like this (unless the NCAA actually just allows kids to sign earlier in the process). Losing Brantley hurts, but when you bring in five other quality DL, it's not the end of the world. Whitehurst hurts. Flipping Hilliard is outstanding and JPO would have been icing on the cake. All in all, we survived and probably basically broke even. I'll take that.

Overall evaluation
Again, I'll reiterate that I'm not sure there's any real way to evaluate with a lot of accuracy. But this class appears to be filled with two types of players: Kids identified and signed early and kids that signed later but had plenty of options. Those are both "good" types of recruits. If there aren't major academic issues, I think it's safe to say this class appears to be a step forward (though some of that will lie with the fate of the few skill guys like cornelius/Lewis/Morris/Broyld sice we desperately need difference making types). I don't think it's dramatic (as many have suggested) but I'd have to say there hasn't been a point in the last 8 years or so that we ever would have flipped a Pitt recruit. Headed in the right direction, love the focus on the trenches and trust this staff's eye for talent. Now we just need facilities upgrades (i buy into this since I know what I would have been interested in at 18) and a better performance in NJ (very possible give what's happening there) and we should be in good shape.

The WSJ had a very good article in yesterday's edition about the recruiting evaluation system - particularly the 5-star system. It provided hard data about the success rates of 2-3 stars, 4 stars and 5 stars. What was surprising to me was that a full 54% of 5-star recruits did not get drafted to the NFL. These are the guys that are supposed to be "can't miss" NFL prospects. It was 81% of 4-stars and 91% of 3-stars that didn't get drafted. Keep in mind that there are a lot more 3-star athletes. What these stats show is that you have a much higher chance of landing a star if you get more 5-star athletes. I was surprised that the difference between 3 and 4 stars wasn't such a big drop-off.

Here's a link to the article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204740904577195401715028964.html

The WSJ had a very good article in yesterday's edition about the recruiting evaluation system - particularly the 5-star system. It provided hard data about the success rates of 2-3 stars, 4 stars and 5 stars. What was surprising to me was that a full 54% of 5-star recruits did not get drafted to the NFL. These are the guys that are supposed to be "can't miss" NFL prospects. It was 81% of 4-stars and 91% of 3-stars that didn't get drafted. Keep in mind that there are a lot more 3-star athletes. What these stats show is that you have a much higher chance of landing a star if you get more 5-star athletes. I was surprised that the difference between 3 and 4 stars wasn't such a big drop-off.

Setting aside for the moment that there are something like 115 schools and they all sign somewhere around 20 kids each year, meaning that these services are essentially trying to rank 2,300 kids annually (yes I had to use a calculator) as well as at least a few hundred more who don't end up in the FBS -- a near impossible task -- I think there are two major flaws in the scouting service system:

1. A wildly inconsistent set of evaluators, evaluation standards and regional biases
Who works for rivals or scout? Why are they experts? Do they follow a standard evaluation system? Is it possible to look at a kid from Florida or Maine without a jaundiced eye (i.e. fla = good; ME = bad)? What you have are a group of pretty minimally paid guys trying to cover vast areas and evaluating all these kids according to their own (often pretty biased) standards (i.e. an RU writer isn't going to look at an RU recruit and write a scathing report very often).

2. Often the evaluation is about who's ready to play
If you were a rivals talent evaluator and you saw two players: Morlon Greenwood in high school and Mike McNair in high school, how do you rate them? McNair was a 6-3, 240 lb linebacker from matre dei (I think) in Calif. Played at a high level. All state. great size great measurables. Greenwood was a scrawny kid playing on LI with a good motor and athleticism but extremely raw as an FB player. How do you rank them? McNair is a top 100 guy, Greenwood is a prospect but a kid a long way from being a stud. 2 stars ... maybe 3 if you're really optimistic. So what happens? McNair goes to ND, never plays a down in 4 years. Greenwood gains, what, 25 lbs adn develops into an all-BE linebacker and goes on to have a huge nfl career. THis stuff happens all the time b/c the focus is on mcnair's measurables and pedigree, but not really his projectibility, desire and work ethic.

I think another thing to realize is that these 5star guys are going to school 5star guys before them and after them so if anything happens because of a little injury were the next guy goes in and is successful it is basically that 5star has no chance again. If the 5stars went to lesser schools this most likely would not happen and they would be able to regain their position or moved to another one to find a spot to put him on the field.

I think another thing to realize is that these 5star guys are going to school 5star guys before them and after them so if anything happens because of a little injury were the next guy goes in and is successful it is basically that 5star has no chance again. If the 5stars went to lesser schools this most likely would not happen and they would be able to regain their position or moved to another one to find a spot to put him on the field.

Maybe to a small extent, but NFL talent will get you on the playing field in college at some point in a career. And while certain programs get more than their fair share of them, no one is filling their classes with only 5-stars. There just aren't that many to go around.

That's why it's so important for the staff to be good evaluators. The recruiting services pander to their customers and their customers have the biggest following thus paying their salaries. Look at what happened to Bowden who himself said he paid too much attention to the scout/rivals ratings and not enough attention to the evaluation process. Let's face it, when Boeheim offers a scholarship to a kid that was rated 150-250 it opens some eyes so we do get the benefit of this when it comes to hoops. Plus, you don't know when the light goes on for some of these kids. The game slows down, finally listen or understand what their coach has been teaching or for whatever other reason. There's a lot that goes into it football, a hell of a lot more than basketball imo and comparing areas and positions is to say the least a crapshoot. Hell, the NFL misses a ton on prospects and they brake this thing down to the n'th degree.

Maybe to a small extent, but NFL talent will get you on the playing field in college at some point in a career. And while certain programs get more than their fair share of them, no one is filling their classes with only 5-stars. There just aren't that many to go around.

Yeah, really talented kids rarely ride the pine. I suppose it happens occasionally, but big-timers tend to get on the field.

Some other ways to evaluate a class:

1. How does our list compare with our rivals (WVa, Pitt, BC or UConn, Rutgers)?

2. Did we win several head to head battles vs our rivals for kids in regions we both recruit?

3. End of the day, are we excited about our recruits (with some 4 stars in the mix) or are we making up stories about our coaches being able to evaluate undiscovered gems, who lack measurables (speed, size, great stats) and weren't being chased by our rivals?
We have some positive answers to these questions -- just not as many as we need. In a year when others were in transition (with Big East, changes at Rutgers & Pitt, PP at UConn), we made some progress -- enough?

This class is better than our recent classes, but we are still closing the gap against Rutgers, BC & Pitt. We missed out on the better LBs, WRs and RBs. We needed jucos to fill some gaps. Step in the right direction.

Being contrarian and a marketing person, I judge recruiting classes purely by cool names of commits.

Needless to say, the post Luscious Pussey era has been horrible.

So basically a 4 star is twice as likely as a 3 star to make it to the NFL and a 5 star is a little more than two and a half times as likely as a 4 star. Sounds about right to me.

Setting aside for the moment that there are something like 115 schools and they all sign somewhere around 20 kids each year, meaning that these services are essentially trying to rank 2,300 kids annually (yes I had to use a calculator) as well as at least a few hundred more who don't end up in the FBS -- a near impossible task -- I think there are two major flaws in the scouting service system:

1. A wildly inconsistent set of evaluators, evaluation standards and regional biases
Who works for rivals or scout? Why are they experts? Do they follow a standard evaluation system? Is it possible to look at a kid from Florida or Maine without a jaundiced eye (i.e. fla = good; ME = bad)? What you have are a group of pretty minimally paid guys trying to cover vast areas and evaluating all these kids according to their own (often pretty biased) standards (i.e. an RU writer isn't going to look at an RU recruit and write a scathing report very often).

2. Often the evaluation is about who's ready to play
If you were a rivals talent evaluator and you saw two players: Morlon Greenwood in high school and Mike McNair in high school, how do you rate them? McNair was a 6-3, 240 lb linebacker from matre dei (I think) in Calif. Played at a high level. All state. great size great measurables. Greenwood was a scrawny kid playing on LI with a good motor and athleticism but extremely raw as an FB player. How do you rank them? McNair is a top 100 guy, Greenwood is a prospect but a kid a long way from being a stud. 2 stars ... maybe 3 if you're really optimistic. So what happens? McNair goes to ND, never plays a down in 4 years. Greenwood gains, what, 25 lbs adn develops into an all-BE linebacker and goes on to have a huge nfl career. THis stuff happens all the time b/c the focus is on mcnair's measurables and pedigree, but not really his projectibility, desire and work ethic.

Agree. I think that desire and work ethic is what transformed keith bulluck if im not mistaken from a QB I played against in HS to a walk on DB at SU who transitioned into the nfl.

Taking a que from Boeheim maybe Marrone and staff are identifying kids they think will A be able to play and B fit in the system they are implementing/ed. I think the two flips hurt because the staff wanted those kids but I like to look at who was targeted and who ended up going to Syracuse, who were they really pushing for and the plus minus on that. Again, I trust Marrone and his staff a hell of a lot more than any recruiting service.

Florida should start to pick up, should be additional opportunity there going forward. Between Rutgers losing Schiano and their league status. And we'll be able to sell non Big 3 FLA kids that we're in a league with Miami and Florida State. Which should be a much more compelling story than we're in a league with USF.

Being contrarian and a marketing person, I judge recruiting classes purely by cool names of commits.

Needless to say, the post Luscious Pussey era has been horrible.

Agreed. That is why Thump Belton was a favorite or mine and why I had hoped that we had landed Bam Bradley in this class.

Florida should start to pick up, should be additional opportunity there going forward. Between Rutgers losing Schiano and their league status. And we'll be able to sell non Big 3 FLA kids that we're in a league with Miami and Florida State. Which should be a much more compelling story than we're in a league with USF.

Yeah, good points. I also feel like we've targeted and been in on some pretty good kids in FLA already, but simply that we could use help expanding our foothold there. The conference alignment should be a big boost.

So basically a 4 star is twice as likely as a 3 star to make it to the NFL and a 5 star is a little more than two and a half times as likely as a 4 star. Sounds about right to me.

Yeah, I think the article generally basically supports the notion that the services do a fairly decent job of identifying the top 250.

That said, that's still probably giving far more credit to those services than they actually deserve. I mean, it's not that difficult to put a kid with 20 BCS offers in your top 250 somewhere. So again I'd question a bit whether it's truly "projecting" versus some form of deduction (i.e. everyone loves this kid ... so do we!!).

But I think the other issue missed with that kind of analysis -- and probably hard to really quantify -- is how many kids have great college careers despite not fitting in the nfl system (pat white) or not quite having the requisite tools or measurables (kevin abrams, though I suppose he had back issues).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom