The big recruiting weekend is over. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The big recruiting weekend is over.

Isn't it their job to find something interesting? I'm all for it not being a recap of the weekend. But I'd be shocked if their wasn't an angle worth our attention. Maybe the budget wasn't there. I don't know. I do know they were all out on a "best of central NY bar tour" via twitter.
LOL, Maybe not in the budget, and UM has 65 million in their reserve.. ( I know you were kidding) I think.

But people complain when they write negative articles that are "interesting". We had 6 official visits this weekend. All by currently committed prospects. All who are signing with the Orange on signing day.

I just wrapped up the weekend.

There's always a story worth telling. You're letting them off too easily. It's their job to find an interesting angle.

Story + Audience = clicks.
_____ + Audience = no clicks.

how do people know there is a story to know that they should be clicking it?

Isn't it their job to find something interesting? I'm all for it not being a recap of the weekend. But I'd be shocked if their wasn't an angle worth our attention. Maybe the budget wasn't there. I don't know. I do know they were all out on a "best of central NY bar tour" via twitter.
I believe that the bar tour is called fulfilling the assignment issued by your employer.

I follow another school's recruiting pretty closely also and it seems like their coverage is pretty similar to what the Post Standard does - articles when kids commit or decommit and more extensive coverage of the top recruits like Devito. I guess I can't complain too much about the coverage but just my opinion

But people complain when they write negative articles that are "interesting". We had 6 official visits this weekend. All by currently committed prospects. All who are signing with the Orange on signing day.

I just wrapped up the weekend.
Unfortunately you didn't, there is more. I'll leave my cryptic message for your own interpretation

I'm as hungry for a good surprise on signing day as I used to be on Christmas morning.
But maybe there's nothing but the presents we've already peeked at.
Can't blame the P-S for that.

Honestly, I don't have the time given my stage of life right now (raising kids) to follow the drip drip of information throughout the cycle. I actually would rather a big information dump on Wed and then settle in with a few beers and digest it all during a chat that goes from 10pm until whenever.

What's the value in that?. Again, it's not the Post Standard's job to do SU's PR.

It may not be "their job" to do PR for the university's sports teams, it is the topic that most readers are most interested in. If they want to stay in business, they might consider catering to the interests of their remaining customers.

This is why they are failing. Find an angle that is news. I'm sure some of these kids have never been to the area. Did they see any weird stuff at the airport (given the news this weekend). etc.

Repeat after me: It doesn't have to be bad to be interesting to fans.
If you actually read my thread, I never said it has to be bad. It just has to be important. And a behind the scenes look at what happened isn't important.

It may not be "their job" to do PR for the university's sports teams, it is the topic that most readers are most interested in. If they want to stay in business, they might consider catering to the interests of their remaining customers.
See, that's exactly the problem. People think the media should give them what they want. The media's job is to report what's happening, not what you want to hear. And no one is going to waste time saying "nothing really happened."

I would question just how many of the avg readers of the PS really do care about recruiting enough to read the stories they may wright. 10% might be generous. if the people on this board have a limited interest than I dont expect the avg PS reader does..

for those that read the papers that i know, its local news, Obits, if you know some kids maybe the local sports, some look at the weather/comics/crossword, some days is the local ads and weather. Sports gets the bottom of the paper for a reason whether its self inflicted, because of reporting trends, is up to debate.

If there is something the football reporters are sitting on at the request of the coaches as to not screw up a potentially pleasant surprise then I'm perfectly ok with that.. We don't need to know something that badly that it could screw up some behind the scenes moves. Even if it's a 10% chance of happening.

I don't know anything just talking hypothetically.

If you actually read my thread, I never said it has to be bad. It just has to be important. And a behind the scenes look at what happened isn't important.

Yeah, disagree. Interesting - not important or bad is the bar. There's are a lot of good reporting in the realm of "interesting, but maybe not important"...

If there is something the football reporters are sitting on at the request of the coaches as to not screw up a potentially pleasant surprise then I'm perfectly ok with that.. We don't need to know something that badly that it could screw up some behind the scenes moves. Even if it's a 10% chance of happening.

I don't know anything just talking hypothetically.

That theoretically could be a factor - but the PS Staff has such little access to the program that I doubt it.

Secondarily, I've seen Mike M hold back on reporting a kid's verbal because the kid wasn't ready to announce and see the PS report it. So I highly, highly, highly doubt the PS Staff would sit on anything at the coaches' request.

That theoretically could be a factor - but the PS Staff has such little access to the program that I doubt it.

Secondarily, I've seen Mike M hold back on reporting a kid's verbal because the kid wasn't ready to announce and see the PS report it. So I highly, highly, highly doubt the PS Staff would sit on anything at the coaches' request.
I can honestly tell that isn't true and the guys on the PS have sat on info at the coaches' request.

I can honestly tell that isn't true and the guys on the PS have sat on info at the coaches' request.

If that's the case then I find it surprising but I stand corrected.

Reporting that the DB from ND was part of the crew this past weekend would have been nice. Notable change to the list of recruits, possible grad transfer at a huge position of need.

The only time this ever happened, the PS reported it after another source had reported. That's not the PS's fault. Once the info's there, it's there.

The other board has some weird vendetta against Bailey for doing his job because they think he steals info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom