The biggest fallacy in all of fandom... | Syracusefan.com

The biggest fallacy in all of fandom...

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
After perusing numerous ACC boards over the course of the year, I have noticed a lot of fans use the following as an argument as to why one team is better than another:

Well, we beat team X.
And Team X beat (or hung close with) team Y.
So we should be able to beat to Y.

This logic just completely ignores styles of play and matchups.

/rant.

After perusing numerous ACC boards over the course of the year, I have noticed a lot of fans use the following as an argument as to why one team is better than another:

Well, we beat team X.
And Team X beat (or hung close with) team Y.
So we should be able to beat to Y.

This logic just completely ignores styles of play and matchups.

/rant.
Transitive property 83% of the time... it works everytime

The transitive property. It has been debunked 100 times. It's like the Kevin Bacon game. You can use this theory to say any team in the world can beat any other team.

It works every so often. For instance, I'm better looking than Marsh. Marsh is better looking than Bees. So, I'm better looking than Bees. Ba-bam!

This usually ends with Harvard will beat Harvard by 100 points.

The biggest fallacy in sports, at least as it relates to Cuse hoops, is that the position I sit in and what I wear don't affect how well Cuse plays. Of course it does!

It works every so often. For instance, I'm better looking than Marsh. Marsh is better looking than Bees. So, I'm better looking than Bees. Ba-bam!

You are certainly a sight for sore eyes. I find myself staring at the back of your head during football games and have to snap myself out of it.

Single games can be very misleading. So can lines that extend through several single games. But it can be meaningful if you have a number of direct or near-direct comparisons. But even that won't tell you what will happen if there is an actual game between the two subject teams. I'm sure if you ran comparative scores between the Seahawks and Broncos the result wouldn't suggest a 43-8 game. It might suggest that the Seahawks were the better team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom