the "boeheim can't recruit" crowd right now | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

the "boeheim can't recruit" crowd right now

Works for me. If Chance is good with it, and will be here for 2, then that’s awesome. I still think throwing Zion into that mix could be a recipe for disaster, but maybe not since they all seem to like each other. You never know though when the season starts, and someone is stuck watching more than he wants, or thinks he should be. The way you lay it out makes me feel like Joe may be the odd man out, and I really wouldn’t be okay with that. I think he’s vital to us making the run we all want that season. The perfect compliment to all that young talent. And with Roddy over Zion, you get another year most likely, and then have that dynamic duo with Chance the next season. I don’t know. I’m not gonna stress it. No point this early. Just don’t wanna be like the countless UK teams that were loaded with young talent, but flamed out in the tourney.

JG3 starts and will get 20+ minutes. That’s guaranteed. Imagine JB getting Kentucky level talent. 2022 going to be program changing.

JG3 starts and will get 20+ minutes. That’s guaranteed. Imagine JB getting Kentucky level talent. 2022 going to be program changing.

Gotcha. Yeah that’s true. JB knows how to manage talent as good as anyone, and if he’s good with it, then I am too. 2022 is gonna be special, no doubt. Just really want to cut down the nets for JB. He deserves another before his time is up, and he’s certainly gunning for it. It’s gonna be a fun ride these next few years. And beyond, now that it looks like we have the man for the job when JB hangs it up, though he looks as energized as ever, so who knows when that will be.

Everybody wants this program to be where it was. recruiting wasn’t cutting . thank god for red
Yes, but there is a huge difference between the "recruiting hasn't been cutting it" crowd and the "Boeheim can no longer recruit" or "Boeheim needs to hang it up" crowd.

The former realizes that recruiting has always been cyclical for Syracuse since JB arrived. Hot at beginning, little swoon when Louie and Bouie left until Pearl arrived. Heyday from Pearl through Probation. Swoon post-probation. Better with Hart and Thomas. Swoon post them through Melo. Little swoon performance-wise post 2005 ( not in recruiting rankings, however) until second heyday of 2009-2014.

The latter has no patience and thinks we should be Kentucky or Duke all the time and, every time it doesn't happen says JB cannot coach/recruit anymore and needs to go. Inevitably, this group has always been proven wrong.

Which one are you?

Last edited:
Works for me. If Chance is good with it, and will be here for 2, then that’s awesome. I still think throwing Zion into that mix could be a recipe for disaster, but maybe not since they all seem to like each other. You never know though when the season starts, and someone is stuck watching more than he wants, or thinks he should be. The way you lay it out makes me feel like Joe may be the odd man out, and I really wouldn’t be okay with that. I think he’s vital to us making the run we all want that season. The perfect compliment to all that young talent. And with Roddy over Zion, you get another year most likely, and then have that dynamic duo with Chance the next season. I don’t know. I’m not gonna stress it. No point this early. Just don’t wanna be like the countless UK teams that were loaded with young talent, but flamed out in the tourney. Nothing against Cruz, as he’s obviously elite.

It could be a lot like 2012 -- where Boeheim had 9 plus guys he trusted, and he played 'em all, to devastating effect.

while everyone is rightfully praising red, let's not forget that among the assistants it was gerry who gets the most credit for landing dior. and it is questionable whether this particular set of commits & probables happens without that big first domino

while everyone is rightfully praising red, let's not forget that among the assistants it was gerry who gets the most credit for landing dior. and it is questionable whether this particular set of commits & probables happens without that big first domino

Well, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while... ;)

Hey, when moqui praises Gerry, folks should listen. One knows it’s well deserved.

Duly noted, moqui.

I may be new to posting on the board, but I've followed Syracuse sports for decades. JB is a HOF coach for a reason, and he most assuredly knows how to recruit. While there may be some truth (and valid reasons) for the recruiting woes we've had, I've never understood the mindset of those that post negatively about us landing a particular recruit or recruiting in general.

Sure recruiting had been down for a while, and now we're trending back up again. Did it do any good to post about the recruiting misses incessantly? Did you think posting that the program was falling apart would help us recruit better? Do you not understand that potential recruits read these message boards? What if you were a five star recruit being recruited by Syracuse, and you visited this board and read that fans think we're in the shitter? How do you think that would look?

I'm all for freedom of speech, but posts that suggested we were on the verge of collapse needed to go and NEVER EVER HELP to make things better. I, for one, am glad that some of those types of posts get deleted. Seriously, people complain, but yet they fail to realize that the negative posts about the state of the program make matters worse. It's like hexing the team you claim to love???

Let's put it out there that the 'Cuse is BACK! Because we ARE!!! If you want to post about how shitty we've been the last few years form your own board! Because the 'Cuse is absolutely BACK!!!

haven't read a single post in thread, just going off title...
I feel like I have a bit of a reputation on here as a "JB can do no wrong" person (I could point to instances where I'm clearly not, but that's for another day...)
Anyway - if anything both FA and BW prove *the staff* (specifically Red) can recruit with the best of 'em - not necessarily JB personally. to try and credit these two recent commitments solely to JB is dumb

Last edited:
Yes, but there is a huge difference between the "recruiting hasn't been cutting it" crowd and the "Boeheim can no longer recruit" or "Boeheim needs to hang it up" crowd.

The former realizes that recruiting has always been cyclical for Syracuse since JB arrived. Hot at beginning, little swoon when Louie and Bouie left until Pearl arrived. Heyday from Pearl through Probation. Swoon post-probation. Better with Hart and Thomas. Swoon post them through Melo. Little swoon performance-wise post 2005 ( not in recruiting rankings, however) until second heyday of 2009-2014.

The latter has no patience and thinks we should be Kentucky or Duke all the time and, every time it doesn't happen says JB cannot coach/recruit anymore and needs to go. Inevitably, this group has always been proven wrong.

Which one are you?
The two NCAA investigations created the cycles. They were done based on no substantial violations for the sole purpose of keeping Syracuse from getting to be a super blueblood. But, the GOAT wouldn't stop and he is now putting together another team to make a run at the championship. Unbelievable strength and perserverance by Coach Boeheim.

Last edited:
How about I’d like another title as a fan? I could care less who’s coaching in that scenario.
Obviously I’d love one as a fan no matter what as well, but it would be way sweeter to me if the coach was still Boeheim. It would be the greatest final chapter, and I’m rooting like crazy for him to get it.

I feel like I have a bit of a reputation on here as a "JB can do no wrong" person (I could point to instances where I'm clearly not, but that's for another day...)
Anyway - if anything both FA and BW prove *the staff* (specifically Red) can recruit with the best of 'em - not JB himself. to try and credit these two recent commitments solely to JB is dumb
If that’s the approach, than JB cannot be solely blamed when recruiting is poor or there’s a miss in player analysis, correct? I’ve seen that happen a bunch here too... it’s just never that binary

If that’s the approach, than JB cannot be solely blamed when recruiting is poor or there’s a miss in player analysis, correct? I’ve seen that happen a bunch here too... it’s just never that binary
Yes, of course.

The two really egregious recruiting violations that should bring down severe sanctions on a program are: 1. Paying players or their family and handlers substantial sums of money to play for that program, and 2. Systematic grade fixing, which thereby allows players to be academically eligible to play when they aren't. Syracuse was not guilty of either of these things in either NCAA investigation. Can you imagine the elite players and even more success that Coach Boeheim would have had if he wasn't kneecapped twice? These are facts, not my view through Orange colored glasses. How many more wins and how many more championships, you have to ask yourself.

Last edited:
Anyway - if anything both FA and BW prove *the staff* (specifically Red) can recruit with the best of 'em - not necessarily JB personally. to try and credit these two recent commitments solely to JB is dumb

red is getting tons of credit. gerry, too, to a lesser degree, for his work on dior.

but in their own words, all of the recent commits have mentioned jb as a huge factor. by all accounts he has been heavily involved in all the recruitments and instrumental in the final decisions.

red is getting tons of credit. gerry, too, to a lesser degree, for his work on dior.

but in their own words, all of the recent commits have mentioned jb as a huge factor. by all accounts he has been heavily involved in all the recruitments and instrumental in the final decisions.
well in any case, the crux of this thread ought to be *staff* and not solely JB

Red and Gerry are doing really well. Red deserves a shot as head coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom