the bubble screen | Syracusefan.com

the bubble screen

IHeartSUFball

All Conference
can we please throw bailey a couple bubble screen, or maybe a couple pitches out to the right or left and see what he can do. these plays hopefully translate to chunk yardage and not only will give us sustainful drives and rest our defense and keep barkley off the field.

can we please throw bailey a couple bubble screen, or maybe a couple pitches out to the right or left and see what he can do. these plays hopefully translate to chunk yardage and not only will give us sustainful drives and rest our defense and keep barkley off the field.
I've said the same thing and completely agree.

It might work, considering USC will put tons of pressure on Nassib. I think Bailey does well in open space, & their defense would have to focus on the perimeter which opens up the middle a bit.

If they are going to stack the box, Nassib MUST burn them with some medium range & deep balls...

Staff appears to be trying to work Gulley, Graham and Kobena in this quick screen or swing pass or counter role. Like when Bailey had this role the past 2 years, with Carter as the feature back.

I really believe that Doug and company haven't shown a great deal of there playbook saving a lot of it for USC. I mean nothing play calling wise has really made me say wow these past two games. Hopefully I will be jumping up and down this weekend in my living room when we beat USC on Saturday.

I really believe Doug & co have held back a fair portion of the play book for this game and some of the BE games, where teams know us well. Think we see more of it on Saturday and even more come Oct 1 and beyond.

Coach-speak aside, I think Marrone really meant what he said in response to the question by SWC when he said he wasn't holding back plays for the sake of holding back and hiding them from upcoming teams. They are using what they think they need to win each game based on matchups. I thought the general offensive plan was wide open vs URI from reverses, deep balls to going for it on 4th down three times in the first half. I also agree and do think the bubble screen is going to get more play because of the matchup and pressure they expect from USC this week.

I understand that DM has probably kept our plays on the vanilla side leading up to this game in the start of the BE. But he sure as hell didn't tell the OL not to block 100% which is our problem. We can have all the new wrinkles in the offense we want but if we get blown up on the LOS every play it won't make much difference...

I understand that DM has probably kept our plays on the vanilla side leading up to this game in the start of the BE. But he sure as hell didn't tell the OL not to block 100% which is our problem. We can have all the new wrinkles in the offense we want but if we get blown up on the LOS every play it won't make much difference...
I would love to see what the OL would look like if we replaced Macky MacPherson with Robert Trudo. Macky to me has just been flat out awful. Hopefully if they keep him in the starting center spot he steps it up.

I would love to see what the OL would look like if we replaced Macky MacPherson with Robert Trudo. Macky to me has just been flat out awful. Hopefully if they keep him in the starting center spot he steps it up.

Center might be the hardest position to plug a true freshman in at. He has to anchor the whole line and call out assignments and whatnot. That's a lot of pressure to put someone who's been on the team for a few months.

I remember a few years ago WVU had a true freshman center, he didn't seem to slow them down any.

If I see a bubble screen on Saturday I may just lose it. One of the most useless plays in College Football right now.

I want to see us throw out of the bubble screen.

Center might be the hardest position to plug a true freshman in at. He has to anchor the whole line and call out assignments and whatnot. That's a lot of pressure to put someone who's been on the team for a few months.
Good points however a few missed calls from time to time might be worth it if it negates the center from being pushed 5 yards back every other play. Rhode Islands defensive linemen where giving him fits what do you think USC will do to him? I feel Mackey is a hard worker, somewhat solid with technique however he is just to small at the end of the day. These days in college football kids are almost twice the size compared to 15 years ago when you could get away with small OL.

Against USC you CANNOT go horizontal with them...they will kill us with team speed. We have to move the ball vertically (which is always their biggest weakness).

I hate the bubble screen. Has it really ever been effective for us? I mean, I think the most I've seen it net us is 10-12 yards. While that's great, I don't think it nets us significant gains very often or at least not often enough to go to it so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom