The "Carolina Way" | Syracusefan.com

The "Carolina Way"

We are being used to set the floor for UNC. The timing of the issuance of the report against SU was very calculated.

That puts a lot of pressure on the NCAA, unless of course they think no show classes are ok. That would be the only plausible explanation that UNC gets the same or less punishment than the Cuse. Otherwise it should be at least twice as worse but seriously how would the NCAA even quantify a punishment.

Seriously, I think the McCants story is what sinks the ship. He opened the box and exposed that the coaches KNEW about what was going on.

Yeah - not much came of it.

Didn't they have a former UNC athlete handle the first investigation? I mean, the NCAA took it very seriously.

Either way, because regular students took the class they'll just say it was all a big mistake, dadgumit!

The fact that he references the infamous "Rosa Parks Essay"...the one that never existed...shows that his article lacks any credibility. You would think credible journalists would fact check before writing such nonsense, particularly after SI got slammed for reporting lies about OSU. A new low for the publication.

itsbotime said:
The fact that he references the infamous "Rosa Parks Essay"...the one that never existed...shows that his article lacks any credibility. You would think credible journalists would fact check before writing such nonsense, particularly after SI got slammed for reporting lies about OSU. A new low for the publication.

What about the other 99%?

Seriously, I think the McCants story is what sinks the ship. He opened the box and exposed that the coaches KNEW about what was going on.

McCants has been caught in too many lies to be credible. Even Carolina's biggest rivals (the players, not the fans) have said that they don't believe a word McCants says. This is the guy that goes to the mailbox every day looking for a check for $300 million from the NCAA that he says is coming.

As far as the "paper classes" go, the NCAA had no problem when Duke got caught with them. They had no problem when Michigan got caught with them. They had no problem when Auburn got caught with them. I would say that history says that they will have no problem now that UNC has been caught with them, but with the NCAA, you can't expect anything that seems rational.

No need to worry.

UNC will get a virtually comprehensive death penalty for three or four years: shut down of intercollegiate athletics. Book it. Not to mention revocation of every game involving an ineligible athlete in any sport, which will mean hundreds of games, including a national championship, and fines. At the end of the shut-down there will be recruiting constraints and 5 to 10 years probation. This is the biggest fraud in ncaa history.

There are suspicions of fraud at some institutions and there is concern that prior UNC investigation did not obtain evidence. Sometimes rumors are just rumors, sometimes crime is successfully hidden, sometimes wrong doing is criminal rather than ncaa jurisdiction, but sometimes evidence of ncaa violation is uncovered. This case is the latter. The cat is out of the bag. The ncaa wheels are in motion.

There are many skeptics out there. However, the NCAA is not scared of UNC. They are scared of letting massive transgression go unpunished as a matter of their own integrity and fear of ruination of the college brand.

Last edited:
As far as the "paper classes" go, the NCAA had no problem when Duke got caught with them. They had no problem when Michigan got caught with them. They had no problem when Auburn got caught with them. I would say that history says that they will have no problem now that UNC has been caught with them, but with the NCAA, you can't expect anything that seems rational.

Why are you putting paper classes in quotes? Are you saying these were legit? LOL.

They will get a multi-sport death penalty for three years. Book it. Not to mention revocation of hundreds of games and fines. This is the biggest frAUD IN SMU class fraud.

Not a chance.

itsbotime said:

I'd be afraid. Very afraid.

Why are you putting paper classes in quotes? Are you saying these were legit? LOL.

No, "paper class" is the media term. They were technically independent study courses.

I'd be afraid. Very afraid.

Any time you deal with the NCAA you should be afraid. But you can bet if the NCAA punishes UNC for the same classes that they let Duke, Michigan, and Auburn get away with...hell will be raised.

So botime what is your prediction for UNC penalties if any?

There is no sense making any predictions with the NCAA. They are the least rational organization around, IMO. They can literally do whatever they want for whatever reason-or for no reason whatsoever.

No, "paper class" is the media term. They were technically independent study courses.

Yesh, it was the students' "independent" right not to attend, not to do any work, to basically get any grades they needed. Actually, "dependent" is the better term, since the sham was dependent on the cooperation of the UNC faculty, athletic staff, coaches and AD office.

Yesh, it was the students' "independent" right not to attend, not to do any work, to basically get any grades they needed. Actually, "dependent" is the better term, since the sham was dependent on the coloration of the UNC faculty, athletic staff, coaches and AD office.

The bolded portion is false and is indicative of why UNC might not face any punishment. What people believe about the case is often the opposite about what actually happened. The Wainstein Report made it very clear that no player was ever awarded a grade for not doing any work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom