The Coach's Show | Syracusefan.com

The Coach's Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
The coach’s show is on TK99, (FM 99.5) in the Syracuse area and can also be heard through Orange All-Access on the SU Athletic website. This year it’s 7PM Thursdays- or two days before each game, when they are not on Saturday. They have a link to their “Radio Mailbox” for submitting E-Mail questions on the SU Athletic website. You also can call in questions at 1-888-746-2873 or locally at 315-424-8599. You can also tweet them at hash tag CDMS. The show is broadcast from the Red Robin in Fayetteville.

It can take a while but pod casts of the show are eventually posted here:
http://www.suathletics.com/podcasts.aspx

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, you have been signing a lot of junior college players in your most recent class of recruits. I recall back I the 80’s Coach Mac being asked why he doesn’t get some junior college players to quickly upgrade the program. He said it wouldn’t be fair to the four year players. Obviously, you believe in it. Could you go over the pros and cons of using junior college players? Are we singing a lot of them because of the move to the ACC? Also, why is it that western schools have traditionally used JC players a lot more than eastern schools?”

COACH MARRONE
(I may have re-arranged the order of some of the comments based on the subject.)

Coach Marrone said he was “real excited” about the bowl game and that he and the staff “haven’t stopped since the last game” between recruiting and practice. The team will be traveling to NYC for the bowl game on Christmas Day.

Matt Park asked what it was like to be playing an old rival like West Virginia in a bowl game. “It’s unusual. You’re usually playing a team you really don’t know much about. There’s not a lot of love between these teams. It will be a hard-hitting game. We beat them twice. Coach Holgorsen set the tempo talking about that in the news conference.”

Matt noted that West Virginia had “hardly lost after last season’s game, (they won 4 of 5 while we lost 5 in a row) and then they rang up 70 points on Clemson in the bowl game. He said they’d won 10 games in row, (actually nine) before things turned around for them in mid-season this year. He read off some of their point totals: 69, 42, 31, 70, 48, 38, 34, 49, 31, 59, (he left out a couple of 14’s). Coach: “Looking at all the bowl games and the cast of characters, this might be the best quarterback match-up with Geno Smith and Ryan Nassib. There’s not much changed from last year, although we’ve changed on offense. We have tapes of all 12 of their games and that have tapes of all of ours.”

A caller later suggested that the last team to get the ball will win the game. Coach replied “That’s a possibility for sure. I won’t concede that our defense won play well. We’ll be ready. It will be a big challenge. It possibly could be a low scoring game.”
Matt: “How?”
Coach: “I just wanted to throw that out there.”
Matt: “And frogs could come out of the sod.”
Coach: “You never know. It could be wet down there.”
Coach added that the team has many players form the NYC area and that he himself will have 180 people he knows there, rooting for Syracuse.

George in Mattydale wanted to know if we will have any receivers next year, as we loose both Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales. Coach mentioned Jarrod West, Chris Clark, Becket Wales, Jeremiah Kobena, who “had a great start”. He also said we’d have Kyle Foster, who “had a heck of a spring” and Quinton Funderbruke, who has “done a great job on our scout team”. Matt said that Funderbruke had “SEC size and ability”. Coach said that we’ll have several receivers with “unbelievable size” and that they weren’t even recruiting receivers in this year’s class because of the quality of the receivers we will have next year. “Next year we’ll probably go after 2 kids.”

I called in my question about junior college recruits. Coach seemed rather put off by the idea that anyone would question the use of junior college players. “I don’t understand why people think junior college players don’t have a right to play at a four year institution. We’ve been tracking some of these players since high school. Everybody we’ve gotten from a two year school has graduated and represented the school well. We treat two year players just the same as year players. The pros of a two year player is that he’s had to prove himself twice. There’s no sense of expectation, no sense of entitlement. He’s got 3 years to play two years and can be here for spring practice.” (I would add that a JUCO player is probably closer to achieving his potential than a high school player and can be better evaluated.) “it’s my job to make this a better football team and maintain our values by getting players with ability who are outstanding students and have good character.”

Matt added that you see more JC players out west because there are more junior colleges out there, especially in California, Kansas And Mississippi. Coach said he didn’t want to get in trouble with Coach Anselmo and noted that Nassau CC and “quite a few more” junior colleges are in the East, along with a lot of prep schools.

At Red Robin, Ryan, who had asked for an autograph, asked if the coach “borrowed plays from the NFL”. Coach: “Our whole passing game is basically what we did in New Orleans. We’ve gotten our running plays from a number of teams. It’s a little bit of our own, (concept).” (The thing that excites me most about the next few years is that we’ve finally got an offensive scheme that works and will work even better with an increased talent level.)

Ed in Cazenovia is the father of an All-CNY player, (I think he said his son was a lineman so it’s probably Cameron Braathen: the other All-CNY players were linebacker Nick Bobbett and running back Jacob Wilson), and wondered how to get him noticed by the bigger schools. Coach: “The internet is a great resource. U-Tube is great. Most high schools are on ‘Huddle’. You can send letters and E-mails. Go to the camps. A lot of people go for just one day to work out. We do that around the state, looking at 7 on 7 drills, etc. We’ve finally gotten to where we want to be around recruiting. Put some tape out and people will find you. In New Orleans we had all-pro tackles from Bloomsburg and Towson State, (Jahri Evans, Jerman Bushrod).”

Matt wondered how much of the recruiting was “new business” and how much was “follow-up”. “It’s more new priorities. Get a player, lose a player. A player can be so difficult to read. The all-star games want the kids to have tight lips so they get more hits on their websites. Parents ask ‘Can you get him into the NFL’. How about making him a good college player first? They have entourages. Relatives, friends, neighbors, guys from youth leagues. They are looking for kids to make it and get out. I tell them the best way is to get a great education. The hardest jump is high school to college. I tell them the truth. It’s a great place to come to if you want to get an education, have good teammates and win games. We just lost a kid where they told him ’My two junior corners are leaving and you can start immediately’. They aren’t leaving.”

An E-mail asked if it was easier to recruit now that we were winning. “It’s more upbeat, more intriguing. Our coaching staff works harder than a lot of staffs where they have palaces. It’s unbelievable what they have. Upgrades have helped us. We’re not trying to keep up with the Jones, to be the Jones. I have to question their priorities.” Matt mentioned that the SU facilities are “not all the way there but there’s a massive upgrade in player comfort and the over-all feel.” Coach: “I don’t know if it’s the right time to talk about it. When it opens people can take a look and see it. You can press a thing and see clips of the past. We had stuff all over the place and there’d be something from the 80’s and then something from the 60’s. Nothing was in order. The Heisman Trophy used to be in glass case but now you can pose for pictures next to it. There are demos and Dome Simulator. The locker room is expansive, big league quality. We found a cleaned-up locker room reduces illness- it’s down 63% for this year.” (I wonder what a ‘Dome Simulator’ is?)

Someone asked about depth in the offensive line next year. Coach is looking to bring in 2-3 offensive linemen this year. He said that 5 players on the team have “put in for draft status” and “conversations about recruiting are year around. Things can change.”
Steve in Auburn asked about the quarterback situation next year: Is Charley Loeb the favorite? Coach: “Charley is the #2 quarterback on our team. We’ll be looking at John Kinder, Terrell Hunt and Ashton Broyld and have a mid year player coming in- I can’t mention his name yet. Right now I’m just thinking: Let’s beat West Virginia.”

Another fan wanted to know if any of the candidates had the athletic ability to switch to other positions. “They are all good enough so some of them can change positions.” (?) “Ashton is an outstanding athlete. Quarterback, running back, slot guy. We want to find out. Jerome Smith is one of those who put in for a junior year waiver. Adonis Moore really helped us in those late games. George Morris has been outstanding. We have Tyson Gully. I don’t know if you can ever have enough running backs.”

Matt brought up the rumors that NFL teams and colleges were considering Doug for job. “I haven’t been approached. If I had been, I’d report it to my boss because they have to ask permission. It feels good to be appreciated. It helps and hurts recruiting. In college football people get fired after one year. You don’t know what will happen. It’s not the money. Sometimes the bad mail makes me wonder if I wouldn’t be more happy coaching down the road at CBA. I tell people ‘If you don’t like me I’m leaving. If I don’t like it I’m leaving.” (Please stop sending the Coach “bad mail”.)

Matt mentioned that Jim Boeheim had told him that he’s in coaching because he loves it. If he weren’t the coach at Syracuse he’d be coaching Lyons High school and still be happy. Coach Marrone is in it for the happiness, too. “I have a back-up plan. I like being the head coach and inspiring people to win, etc. But I love being an offensive line coach. If it ever comes to that, I’ve told a high school coach in Tennessee, where my wife comes from, who is very successful that I’d like to be his offensive line coach,. Not offensive coordinator. Just the line coach.”

I didn’t quite get the question Matt ended the broadcast with but the Coach said “We’re not there yet. We’ll see who is there when we get there. We are expecting everyone to be there.”

COACH MARRONE
I didn’t quite get the question Matt ended the broadcast with but the Coach said “We’re not there yet. We’ll see who is there when we get there. We are expecting everyone to be there.”

He was asking about players' eligibility. Coach Marrone expects everyone to be eligible, but it's not official yet.

Ashton Broyld getting a look at QB--interesting.

Ashton Broyld getting a look at QB--interesting.
Actually, the game where he scored the TD, he reminded me of McNabb. Not just in size and running ability, but the way he carried himself. If he can throw the ball downfied with accuracy and master a very complicated offense, I believe he's the starter at QB.

Actually, the game where he scored the TD, he reminded me of McNabb. Not just in size and running ability, but the way he carried himself. If he can throw the ball downfied with accuracy and master a very complicated offense, I believe he's the starter at QB.

I think without a doubt Broyld is the qb next year

sounds like the kid that went to Boise state over us the cb was duped

sounds like the kid that went to Boise state over us the cb was duped

Yeah, thought that was an interesting piece of information too. That and the QB stuff.

What was that about smith? Does that mean he is thinking of entering draft?

I took that to mean J Smith is applying to get his extra year of due to injury as a freshman. He would be a SR. next year without it...I think you have to apply for it, but I'm sure someone on here knows better than me what the process is...

COACH MARRONE
(I may have re-arranged the order of some of the comments based on the subject.)

Coach Marrone said he was “real excited” about the bowl game and that he and the staff “haven’t stopped since the last game” between recruiting and practice. The team will be traveling to NYC for the bowl game on Christmas Day.

Matt Park asked what it was like to be playing an old rival like West Virginia in a bowl game. “It’s unusual. You’re usually playing a team you really don’t know much about. There’s not a lot of love between these teams. It will be a hard-hitting game. We beat them twice. Coach Holgorsen set the tempo talking about that in the news conference.”

Matt noted that West Virginia had “hardly lost after last season’s game, (they won 4 of 5 while we lost 5 in a row) and then they rang up 70 points on Clemson in the bowl game. He said they’d won 10 games in row, (actually nine) before things turned around for them in mid-season this year. He read off some of their point totals: 69, 42, 31, 70, 48, 38, 34, 49, 31, 59, (he left out a couple of 14’s). Coach: “Looking at all the bowl games and the cast of characters, this might be the best quarterback match-up with Geno Smith and Ryan Nassib. There’s not much changed from last year, although we’ve changed on offense. We have tapes of all 12 of their games and that have tapes of all of ours.”

A caller later suggested that the last team to get the ball will win the game. Coach replied “That’s a possibility for sure. I won’t concede that our defense won play well. We’ll be ready. It will be a big challenge. It possibly could be a low scoring game.”
Matt: “How?”
Coach: “I just wanted to throw that out there.”
Matt: “And frogs could come out of the sod.”
Coach: “You never know. It could be wet down there.”
Coach added that the team has many players form the NYC area and that he himself will have 180 people he knows there, rooting for Syracuse.

George in Mattydale wanted to know if we will have any receivers next year, as we loose both Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales. Coach mentioned Jarrod West, Chris Clark, Becket Wales, Jeremiah Kobena, who “had a great start”. He also said we’d have Kyle Foster, who “had a heck of a spring” and Quinton Funderbruke, who has “done a great job on our scout team”. Matt said that Funderbruke had “SEC size and ability”. Coach said that we’ll have several receivers with “unbelievable size” and that they weren’t even recruiting receivers in this year’s class because of the quality of the receivers we will have next year. “Next year we’ll probably go after 2 kids.”

I called in my question about junior college recruits. Coach seemed rather put off by the idea that anyone would question the use of junior college players. “I don’t understand why people think junior college players don’t have a right to play at a four year institution. We’ve been tracking some of these players since high school. Everybody we’ve gotten from a two year school has graduated and represented the school well. We treat two year players just the same as year players. The pros of a two year player is that he’s had to prove himself twice. There’s no sense of expectation, no sense of entitlement. He’s got 3 years to play two years and can be here for spring practice.” (I would add that a JUCO player is probably closer to achieving his potential than a high school player and can be better evaluated.) “it’s my job to make this a better football team and maintain our values by getting players with ability who are outstanding students and have good character.”

Matt added that you see more JC players out west because there are more junior colleges out there, especially in California, Kansas And Mississippi. Coach said he didn’t want to get in trouble with Coach Anselmo and noted that Nassau CC and “quite a few more” junior colleges are in the East, along with a lot of prep schools.

At Red Robin, Ryan, who had asked for an autograph, asked if the coach “borrowed plays from the NFL”. Coach: “Our whole passing game is basically what we did in New Orleans. We’ve gotten our running plays from a number of teams. It’s a little bit of our own, (concept).” (The thing that excites me most about the next few years is that we’ve finally got an offensive scheme that works and will work even better with an increased talent level.)

Ed in Cazenovia is the father of an All-CNY player, (I think he said his son was a lineman so it’s probably Cameron Braathen: the other All-CNY players were linebacker Nick Bobbett and running back Jacob Wilson), and wondered how to get him noticed by the bigger schools. Coach: “The internet is a great resource. U-Tube is great. Most high schools are on ‘Huddle’. You can send letters and E-mails. Go to the camps. A lot of people go for just one day to work out. We do that around the state, looking at 7 on 7 drills, etc. We’ve finally gotten to where we want to be around recruiting. Put some tape out and people will find you. In New Orleans we had all-pro tackles from Bloomsburg and Towson State, (Jahri Evans, Jerman Bushrod).”

Matt wondered how much of the recruiting was “new business” and how much was “follow-up”. “It’s more new priorities. Get a player, lose a player. A player can be so difficult to read. The all-star games want the kids to have tight lips so they get more hits on their websites. Parents ask ‘Can you get him into the NFL’. How about making him a good college player first? They have entourages. Relatives, friends, neighbors, guys from youth leagues. They are looking for kids to make it and get out. I tell them the best way is to get a great education. The hardest jump is high school to college. I tell them the truth. It’s a great place to come to if you want to get an education, have good teammates and win games. We just lost a kid where they told him ’My two junior corners are leaving and you can start immediately’. They aren’t leaving.”

An E-mail asked if it was easier to recruit now that we were winning. “It’s more upbeat, more intriguing. Our coaching staff works harder than a lot of staffs where they have palaces. It’s unbelievable what they have. Upgrades have helped us. We’re not trying to keep up with the Jones, to be the Jones. I have to question their priorities.” Matt mentioned that the SU facilities are “not all the way there but there’s a massive upgrade in player comfort and the over-all feel.” Coach: “I don’t know if it’s the right time to talk about it. When it opens people can take a look and see it. You can press a thing and see clips of the past. We had stuff all over the place and there’d be something from the 80’s and then something from the 60’s. Nothing was in order. The Heisman Trophy used to be in glass case but now you can pose for pictures next to it. There are demos and Dome Simulator. The locker room is expansive, big league quality. We found a cleaned-up locker room reduces illness- it’s down 63% for this year.” (I wonder what a ‘Dome Simulator’ is?)

Someone asked about depth in the offensive line next year. Coach is looking to bring in 2-3 offensive linemen this year. He said that 5 players on the team have “put in for draft status” and “conversations about recruiting are year around. Things can change.”
Steve in Auburn asked about the quarterback situation next year: Is Charley Loeb the favorite? Coach: “Charley is the #2 quarterback on our team. We’ll be looking at John Kinder, Terrell Hunt and Ashton Broyld and have a mid year player coming in- I can’t mention his name yet. Right now I’m just thinking: Let’s beat West Virginia.”

Another fan wanted to know if any of the candidates had the athletic ability to switch to other positions. “They are all good enough so some of them can change positions.” (?) “Ashton is an outstanding athlete. Quarterback, running back, slot guy. We want to find out. Jerome Smith is one of those who put in for a junior year waiver. Adonis Moore really helped us in those late games. George Morris has been outstanding. We have Tyson Gully. I don’t know if you can ever have enough running backs.”

Matt brought up the rumors that NFL teams and colleges were considering Doug for job. “I haven’t been approached. If I had been, I’d report it to my boss because they have to ask permission. It feels good to be appreciated. It helps and hurts recruiting. In college football people get fired after one year. You don’t know what will happen. It’s not the money. Sometimes the bad mail makes me wonder if I wouldn’t be more happy coaching down the road at CBA. I tell people ‘If you don’t like me I’m leaving. If I don’t like it I’m leaving.” (Please stop sending the Coach “bad mail”.)

Matt mentioned that Jim Boeheim had told him that he’s in coaching because he loves it. If he weren’t the coach at Syracuse he’d be coaching Lyons High school and still be happy. Coach Marrone is in it for the happiness, too. “I have a back-up plan. I like being the head coach and inspiring people to win, etc. But I love being an offensive line coach. If it ever comes to that, I’ve told a high school coach in Tennessee, where my wife comes from, who is very successful that I’d like to be his offensive line coach,. Not offensive coordinator. Just the line coach.”

Thanks for doing this SWC...love it every week..

His answer to the rumors seemed far different than a couple of years ago.

I noticed that too. He didn't say "I'm happy here. I have no desire to anywhere", etc. I don't know if anything is imminent but I don't think he's going to be football's Boeheim, the alum who coaches here for 30 years. I just hope he's around ong enouygh to compelte the job of rebuilding the program and can hand it over to an assistant who will keep it at that level.

I took that to mean J Smith is applying to get his extra year of due to injury as a freshman. He would be a SR. next year without it...I think you have to apply for it, but I'm sure someone on here knows better than me what the process is...

I took it to mean he's applying for a "waiver" that would allow him to be draftred by the NFl as a junior and that four other guys have done the same thing. That doesn't mean he's leaving. it means he's considering it. It will depend on what they hear from NFL scouts.

re: Jerome Smith and the other four:
Applying for an NFL draft evaluation means you get a free critique of your game from the top people in the business. I'm surprised every junior doesn't ask for one.

I noticed that too. He didn't say "I'm happy here. I have no desire to anywhere", etc. I don't know if anything is imminent but I don't think he's going to be football's Boeheim, the alum who coaches here for 30 years. I just hope he's around ong enouygh to compelte the job of rebuilding the program and can hand it over to an assistant who will keep it at that level.

Wow-Surprised there hasn't been much reaction to his comments. Went quickly from his "dream job" and every job he took was to get here. If he thinks he gets "bad mail" here and coaches can get fired after 1 bad year, the bigger time Football schools and NFL are about 25X worse and there he doesn't have the connection of being an alum, which helps.

The coach’s show is on TK99, (FM 99.5) in the Syracuse area and can also be heard through Orange All-Access on the SU Athletic website. This year it’s 7PM Thursdays- or two days before each game, when they are not on Saturday. They have a link to their “Radio Mailbox” for submitting E-Mail questions on the SU Athletic website. You also can call in questions at 1-888-746-2873 or locally at 315-424-8599. You can also tweet them at hash tag CDMS. The show is broadcast from the Red Robin in Fayetteville.

It can take a while but pod casts of the show are eventually posted here:
http://www.suathletics.com/podcasts.aspx
Nice job as always SWC, thanks for doing this again this year. A number of interesting tidbits but to me, the biggest takeaway is that Ashton is going to get a chance to compete for the QB job.

Should be a really interesting spring.

Wow, this may have been the most insightful and revealing coaches show recap to date:
Ashton has a shot at qb
Another school duped a kid we were recruiting to get a commitment ( we know lying goes on all the time but its rare to hear the HC of a major program come out and say it)
5 players getting evaluated
He's thrilled with the receivers we have next year
Most importantly how drastically his tone has changed regarding his "dream job" .
I thought we may have a lifer but now I think we better appreciate him while we have him.
Great job swc- so appreciated.

I wonder if the dome simulator is a room with a good sound system, and they crank up a sound clip of the fans in the dome going nuts? Or something along those lines.

I think people are overreacting to Marrone's comments about coaching. He's sensitive to the criticism because he wants to do well and make everyone proud.

Let's all be honest with each other - it was a really tough stretch for a while there. Cripes, the guy lost eight straight FBS games and 10 of 12. I'm sure he felt the heat and has some scars to show for it.

If Marrone continues to be successful here, he'll be around for a long time.

Wow-Surprised there hasn't been much reaction to his comments. Went quickly from his "dream job" and every job he took was to get here. If he thinks he gets "bad mail" here and coaches can get fired after 1 bad year, the bigger time Football schools and NFL are about 25X worse and there he doesn't have the connection of being an alum, which helps.
The local ESPN show have spent the whole afternoon talking about the "job" comments. Maybe I'm overreacting but I don't think we have a lifer here

The local ESPN show have spent the whole afternoon talking about the "job" comments. Maybe I'm overreacting but I don't think we have a lifer here

How about that one caller on Upon Further Review saying that any coach we bring in could do what DM has been doing. "What has he done? have we been in the top 25 since he's been here?!"

lol

How about that one caller on Upon Further Review saying that any coach we bring in could do what DM has been doing. "What has he done? have we been in the top 25 since he's been here?!"

lol
The callers on the ESPN show are a tremendously poor representation of our town...or are they an appropriate representation? Yikes I'm not sure

I wonder if the dome simulator is a room with a good sound system, and they crank up a sound clip of the fans in the dome going nuts?

Where would they get the audio clips from?

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom