The Coach's Show | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Coach's Show

vs Va Tech circa '98?

Joking of course. Actually DM's first game vs. Minny, the crowd was really loud. After it recuperated from the first snap going over GP's head.

Joking of course. Actually DM's first game vs. Minny, the crowd was really loud. After it recuperated from the first snap going over GP's head.

As was I, I was there for both of those game though. End of the NW game that year was pretty loud as well and the 20k of us that stayed for the end of the 2011 Wake Forest game gave em hell as well.

As was I, I was there for both of those game though. End of the NW game that year was pretty loud as well and the 20k of us that stayed for the end of the 2011 Wake Forest game gave em hell as well.

I was at those games as well and the people who did stay for the whole WF game were really loud. Too bad a lot of people gave up and went home, great game and so happy I stuck around.

I don't usually get to listen to the coaches show so thank you for the summary every week. I did hear it this week though. I turned it on half way through, and couldn't tell it was Coach talking at first. He sounded tired and sick. I don't think Marrone enjoys the media portion of his job. IMO he doesn't like recruiting very much either. Marrone likes coaching football, unfortunately for him coaching football is only part of the job now days. I remember him sounding like he did Tuesday at this time last year. In the end I see Marrone here for another four years until he moves to the NFL or he quits because he hasnt been successful. To me it's more likely he does well and gets a shot in the pros.

I took that to mean J Smith is applying to get his extra year of due to injury as a freshman. He would be a SR. next year without it...I think you have to apply for it, but I'm sure someone on here knows better than me what the process is...

I read it the same way. I took it to mean he's applying for an extra year otherwise he's a senior next year.

With all the intense travel it is not surprising that all of the coaches are tired. That kind of travel is really grueling. Next year is big for DM and the program. We will be playing with the bigger boys and on a bigger stage. This may be the first year that he can really enjoy the season. He has the new Orange Spread offense, a deep roster, some really interesting skill players and a strong season finish to build on. Spring camp will be much more interesting than last year and the fan base will be more energized. Winning cures all ills.
He deserves to enjoy a good season (s do we all).

It's the end of the year, he's tired and you can only be happy happy joy joy for so many minutes of the year. Let's face it, usually the only mail (computer stuff) he gets is probably negative because how many times do we send something when things are going ok? Big wins we're thrilled and losses we're angry but during the normal week X amount of days after the last game you get a lull or just the always angry emailing.

Could Marrone leave for the NFL, certainly... but I think parsing down a statement and guessing his commitment to the program at this juncture is just fans having too much time to think about things and we need SU football news.

I really like the things this staff has done for this program and the two openings at Tenn and Wisky made me realize that it is possible Marrone may leave and I hope SU and it's fans/alums let the guy know he IS appreciated and not to wait for some other school or NFL to be the first to let him know so with a big offer. Hopefully TGD has already done so.

With all the intense travel it is not surprising that all of the coaches are tired. That kind of travel is really grueling. Next year is big for DM and the program. We will be playing with the bigger boys and on a bigger stage. This may be the first year that he can really enjoy the season. He has the new Orange Spread offense, a deep roster, some really interesting skill players and a strong season finish to build on. Spring camp will be much more interesting than last year and the fan base will be more energized. Winning cures all ills.

Just typed about the same thing.

This was the most informative Q/A I've ever heard. Lots of super interesting tidbits.

I think some are reading to far into the coaching comments but nonetheless.

Sending the guy hate mail - and ya wonder why Buzz once said people need to get a life. "Bad mail" the guy coaches football for cripes sake.

Not a lot of people appreciate the rebuilding job Marrone's done. It's disheartening I'm sure to look up at the Pitt, Uconn and LVille crowds and see all that silver. Shawn Curtis visited for the Uconn game and the place was empty.

People think it's easy to win and easy to recruit. Nobody sees in the inside nuts and bolts part of the rebuild. He knows what he got himself into as with all head coaches but it could certainly be demoralizing if people don't appreciate all the good you've done in rebuilding this program. To strip it down and build it back up to W's takes time. And 2 bowl games in 4 years of a complete demo job and if people still aren't happy they should get a life.

Not so sure the ACC really has the bigger boys. The three ex-BigEast programs have all regressed from where they were in 2003. Florida St. isn't the top-5 program it used to be. The Carolina schools are just so-so. Clemson has been better. Only Duke and Ga. Tech seem to have stepped it up a notch. The stage may be a little bigger, but this isn't the B1G or the SEC we're entering.

Just look at what recruits say about why they are going to Syracuse. The reasons...the staff, the closeness of the team and the school academically (a far third). The facilities and crowd are never mentioned and yet in hoop they play a part. You all know I've been yapping about this since I've been on this board but if the fans can somehow show up 45K strong and be loud, we can play a huge roll in recruiting for Syracuse University. IMO...too many want to be the coaches and bitch and complain about why not instead of doing the one thing they can do to actually help the team, show up and yell.

I don't usually get to listen to the coaches show so thank you for the summary every week. I did hear it this week though. I turned it on half way through, and couldn't tell it was Coach talking at first. He sounded tired and sick. I don't think Marrone enjoys the media portion of his job. IMO he doesn't like recruiting very much either. Marrone likes coaching football, unfortunately for him coaching football is only part of the job now days. I remember him sounding like he did Tuesday at this time last year. In the end I see Marrone here for another four years until he moves to the NFL or he quits because he hasnt been successful. To me it's more likely he does well and gets a shot in the pros.

I agree that he's more a MacPherson than a Boeheim. I didn't think he sounded tired. he clealry didn't care for my question aobut JUCOs. The fact that he didn't respond to the rumors of other jobs by saying he's happy here and isn't going anywhere seemed significant to me.

Just look at what recruits say about why they are going to Syracuse. The reasons...the staff, the closeness of the team and the school academically (a far third). The facilities and crowd are never mentioned and yet in hoop they play a part. You all know I've been yapping about this since I've been on this board but if the fans can somehow show up 45K strong and be loud, we can play a huge roll in recruiting for Syracuse University. IMO...too many want to be the coaches and bitch and complain about why not instead of doing the one thing they can do to actually help the team, show up and yell.

A half empty stadium isn't exactly a recruiting tool.

A half empty stadium isn't exactly a recruiting tool.

True and actually it is ammunition for opposing recruiters as well. Putting myself in Marrones shoes and we know he knows the area but to put in the time the staff does to improve this team and to look up at the silver, it has to be quite disheartening. I know it is to me and I'm just an idiot in the stands.

The fact that he did respond to the rumors of other jobs by saying he's happy here and isn't going anywhere seemed significant to me.

I didn't see you mention that in your writeup.

I didn't see you mention that in your writeup.

One of my famous typos. It should read:

"The fact that he didn't respond to the rumors of other jobs by saying he's happy here and isn't going anywhere seemed significant to me."​

One of my famous typos. It should read:

"The fact that he didn't respond to the rumors of other jobs by saying he's happy here and isn't going anywhere seemed significant to me."​

Accha-I agree with you.

"Hate mail" is only the tip of the iceberg. Knowing what I know, I will NEVER hold him to the words he spoke more than four years ago when he took the job should he ever decide to leave.

This was the most informative Q/A I've ever heard. Lots of super interesting tidbits.

I think some are reading to far into the coaching comments but nonetheless.

Sending the guy hate mail - and ya wonder why Buzz once said people need to get a life. "Bad mail" the guy coaches football for cripes sake.

Not a lot of people appreciate the rebuilding job Marrone's done. It's disheartening I'm sure to look up at the Pitt, Uconn and LVille crowds and see all that silver. Shawn Curtis visited for the Uconn game and the place was empty.

People think it's easy to win and easy to recruit. Nobody sees in the inside nuts and bolts part of the rebuild. He knows what he got himself into as with all head coaches but it could certainly be demoralizing if people don't appreciate all the good you've done in rebuilding this program. To strip it down and build it back up to W's takes time. And 2 bowl games in 4 years of a complete demo job and if people still aren't happy they should get a life.

Are people really sending bad mail, or bad email directly to the coach? If you want to vent about something (whether you're a cuckoo fan or not), do it on a message board like this. Don't send it directly to the coach. He knows if we lose, he doesn't like it and doesn't need you to point it out to him.

People can be so weird. I so often wonder how I'm part of the same species as some of them.

"Hate mail" is only the tip of the iceberg. Knowing what I know, I will NEVER hold him to the words he spoke more than four years ago when he took the job should he ever decide to leave.
That is really sad, and it can probably only mean a few things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom