The Coach's Show | Syracusefan.com

The Coach's Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the Big East season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

The first hour is eventually, (it can take weeks) podcasted on the SU Athletics website on this page:

http://suathletics.com/podcasts.aspx

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-437-7644. Or you can submit questions from this page:

http://www.suathletics.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

I will be posting my rough transcript of the first hour the night of the broadcast and will probably do the second hour the following day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

“Coach, for years the fans have been frustrated by the physical play of the Big East. We long for the wide-open play of decades past where players could really show their skills. Some have suggested that things will be different in the ACC where they don’t allow the rough play. Other have said that we’ll find that physical play has been the trend throughout college basketball and we won’t see that much of a difference. What do you expect to see as we make our way through the new conference?”

Second hour:

“Coach, people keep asking if Tyler Ennis can get better and you keep saying “Of course he can.” I think Tyler may be the best we’ve had at running a half court offense but he seems reluctant to push the ball on the break, which tends to slow the game down. In the past, our point guard have been great on the fast break and we’ve been better playing up-tempo. Would you like to see Tyler push the ball more?”

COACH BOEHEIM

(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

First, the good news: I remembered that it was Thursday!

The talked about the Miami and Virginia Tech games. “Miami’s change to a zone defense has made them a much more difficult to beat. With a couple more points they could be 3-0 in this league.” Matt cited the 8:27 scoreless streak. “We just put the clamps down and went to CJ.” JB was proud of the fact that we’d held Tech, a 42% three point shooting team to 29%. “Miami executed well and made shots early. They had more turnovers, 15 to 8 for Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech is not normally a good ball handling team. It was a little surprising. Miami spread us out and had good shooters. Our offense was bad. They have size and good shot blockers. The big difference in the game was thee three pointers, (vs. Miami) and nine (vs. Tech). “

I called in my question about the style of play in the ACC. I explained that I’d missed last week’s show because I forgot it was Thursday. JB thought that was pretty lame but said that he understands that that can happen when you retire.

“The same refs work all the leagues now. The Big East was a hair more physical than other leagues. The big thing is that they are enforcing the rules more this year and calling more fouls. Virginia and Clemson like to slow it down. Miami did that and BC might do it. Virginia Tech played at a more normal speed. Different styles are OK. It prepares you for the end of the year. But it’s more about the fouls than the new conference.”

Mike in Skaneateles asked how Jim manages to recruit guys like Tyler Ennis- how much of the recruiting does he do by himself? We have three guys- all very good recruiters- pick out their areas. We figure out who we would like to recruit in the summer and I go and see them. There are 3-4 events where you can see all the players. Then we recruit them over the phone and through the mail, etc. Each coach recruits 3-4 guys. We used to recruit 16-20 to get 2-3 guys.” Meaning that we are now what Coach Mac used to call a ‘selector school’. What did he see in Tyler in high school? “The same thing we see now. We don’t go by the evaluation services. There’s no doubt about good players. We confirm that early. It’s about how good you are, not about how highly you are ranked. We thought Tyler would play behind Michael but he was able to go and Tyler stepped right in.” Matt asked if our recruiting footprint had changed with the conference change. JB: “It won’t change. We recruit in the northeast down to Washington. We can get all the players we need there. The prep schools here have players from all over the country anyway.”

Liam asked about the status of DaJuan Coleman. “He practiced today and has had a couple of good practices. The pain is gone and now he’s got to get into game shape. Playing a couple minutes in the Virginia tech game was helpful. He’ll be playing more as we move forward.”

Naz in Clay suggested that JB not retire “You’ll regret it”. Matt noted that you lose track of what day it is. Naz wondered how much our defense can improve before the tournaments. JB felt that was an excellent question. “We practice every day and we play in tough games. We play different teams with different styles and work through it. Sometimes as you reflect on a season there are years where you don’t get better as the season goes along.”

They talked about CJ Fair’s shooting- he was a 47% three point shooter last year and is only 27% this year. “He’s a much better mid-range shooter and that’s what we would like him to do.

Brent in Syracuse, (no, not the Axeman), was worried that Cooney when he misses will lose confidence. JB: “It won’t happen. He’s a very confident player and one of the most consistent three point shooters in the country. There are other things in the world to worry about other than Trevor Cooney.” (There are?)

Matt asked whether, in preparing for UNC, Jim looks at their good games or their bad games. “I just worry about the good games. They’ve beaten two top 5 teams and one top ten team. Belmont is in the tourney every year. Texas is a good team we know about Miami. Against UAB and Wake they missed 20+ free throws and lost by a couple. They have very good players. Paige is one of the best players in the country. You don’t win at Michigan State and it’s a fluke. With North Carolina, Miami and Virginia Tech we will have played maybe the three biggest teams we’ll see all year.”

A fan wanted to know if we’ll be playing any games in the Barclay’s Center. “We are looking into it. We want to play in New York City. We like the Garden but we’d like to play there, too.” Matt noted that they have such limited space there that when a bus pulls in, they put it on an elevator that turns it around so it can pull out back onto the road. “That’s not a lot of fun for claustrophobics”.

Vito in Liverpool wondered if we were running an offense without any plays where Jim just tells the players to “see what you can do”. Jim laughed at that. “No we don’t run THAT offense. We use set plays, some motion, then a pick and roll. We try to get guys in scoring positions. We like to get CJ a shot 15-16 feet from the basket. In either corner or either ‘elbow’. If he can’t get a shot he can get by a guy with a drive. CJ is #1, Trevor #2, Jerami #3 and then we do some things with the post guys.” The question is: what will the post guys do?

They talked briefly about the Boston College game on Monday, since it will be before the next show. “They have good players and have played well. They have been close but just haven’t gotten the wins. They haven’t put it together.” Matt noted we lost our last game at the Conte Forum. (60-65 on 2/19/05.)

The Eagles are 4-11 on the season but have lost 4 games by 4 points or less.

Pat in Syracuse said he had no x’s and O’s for the coach, “I’ll leave that to Vito”. He suggested that this team is full of ‘even keel’ personalities. “We’ve had a lot of fiery kids in the past but this team seems to be a lot of nice kids. Do they need to get challenged?” JB: “I like even keel guy. That’s the way I am.” (That might be news to some.) “This team is ready to play and will play hard. SA lot of emotion and jumping up and won doesn’t help that much. Coach Hopkins will get excited if someone needs to do that.”

They mentioned the ESPN Infiniti challenge where you can vote for JB and his and Juli’s foundation could get $100,000 to spend in the local community if he wins:

http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/contests/infiniti/2014/index?next=home

You can vote once a day. JB said that it’s going to be tough to overcome schools with 40-50,000 students. He’s referring to Thad Matta of Ohio State who is in first place with 31% of the vote. JB is tied for 5th with Tom Crean. They both have 4% so far. Greg Marshall of Wichita State, Matt Painter of Purdue and Fred Holbein of Iowa State are also ahead of JB.

SWC - so glad you remembered that it was Thursday.

Thought this week's show as reported by you was packed with good content, even more so than usual IMO.

I enjoyed Vito calling to accuse JB of running the "roll the balls out" offense.

I'm looking forward to hour 2.

Pat in Syracuse said he had no x’s and O’s for the coach, “I’ll leave that to Vito”. He suggested that this team is full of ‘even keel’ personalities. “We’ve had a lot of fiery kids in the past but this team seems to be a lot of nice kids. Do they need to get challenged?” JB: “I like even keel guy. That’s the way I am.” (That might be news to some.) “This team is ready to play and will play hard. SA lot of emotion and jumping up and won doesn’t help that much. Coach Hopkins will get excited if someone needs to do that.”

This made me LOL. Classic JB one-liner.

I appreciate the summary. If you ever don't have a question would you mind asking him about his opinion on the possession arrow and if he feels coaches nationally would like to see it go away?

With Gomez:

Gomez wished Jim a Happy New Year. Jim didn’t accept that because New Year’s is long past. Gomez said that it still counts because he hadn’t seen Jim since the new year began, (apparently he wasn’t available for last week’s show, which I missed). JB: “What if I don’t see you until July: are you going to wish me Happy New Year then?” They went back and forth for a couple minutes on that issue. Gomez then told Jim that he was going to go ice fishing ‘in’ Raquette Lake, (hopefully on it).”It will be like Grumpy Old Men.” Jim likes fishing but has little use for ice fishing. “It’s just another excuse to drink.”

The SU women were falling behind the Duke women’s team. They would get blown out, 53-86. But Duke got blown out by Connecticut 61-83. JB: “Breanna Stewart is the best player in the country and they have the best team.”

Gomez wondered if the Virginia Tech game was typical of what we’d see in the ACC- small on-campus arenas. “We had arenas like that in the Big East: Villanova, Rutgers, Notre Dame. There may be a few more in the ACC. Sometimes it’s a good thing- it gets you going. It can be fun. The students are a big factor in the noise level of a smaller building.” Gomez praised the poise of the younger players in such an environment. JB: “People forget that we’ve already played a lot of close games- St. Francis, the games in Hawaii, St. John’s. We have really good players.”

Gomez suggested that JB must have made a good halftime speech. “Speeches don’t win any games. The players on the court do. We needed better ball movement. Defensively, we were playing well. There weren’t a lot of things that had to be different.”

Roy Williams is another coaching friend of JB and they both golf. “We’re both getting bad. He likes to schedule his operations in the offseason- the golf off season.”

Jim has no beefs with the Hall of Fame voting. “What are they going to do with the other guys? Everybody did something. Bonds and Clemens are Hall of Famers.”

They discussed some of the football coaching hires. Bobby Petrino “is a really good coach”. James Franklin: “If you can win 8 games at Vanderbilt, you can win 10-11 at Penn State”, Jay Gruden: “The Redskins probably thought they were hiring John. John is happy with his TV gig.”

A caller named Ed contrasted today’s basketball to the ‘high powered’ offenses of the 80’s and the 90’s. Today there’s a greater emphasis on defense and Ed likes it. JB: “We are a better half court team now. The zone slows the game down. You can run more against a man-for-man. There are more opportunities to fast break. We had a higher level of talent back then. Guys who could push it. You want to run but it’s a slower game.” Ed wondered if the guys get ‘pumped up’ when they shut down a team on defense. “I hope so. Shutting teams down helps everybody. We just try to get players to play well in every possession, to be consistent.”

I called in my second question, about Tyler Ennis. “He’s a good fast break point guard. He makes good decisions- that’s the key to the fast break. There are just fewer opportunities to fast break.” How can Tyler improve? “He needs to get stronger, become a better shooter.”

Gomez asked how you get to Blacksburg. “Charter Flight. The advantage of a charter flight is that you can get home the same day. If we had flown commercial, we wouldn’t be back until the middle of the next day. We had to go to Roanoke due to heavy winds. It’s about a half hour away.”

They talked about Louisville without Chane Behanan. The Cardinals were playing Memphis, (who they eventually lost to 67-73). “Louisville is still a good team without Behanan but he was capable of getting 15 points and 10 rebounds any night. They lost Dieng and Siva. They’ve weathered it. It’s a bit of a loss but they will still win a lot of games. “

Duke’s Jabari Parker is a Mormon and has announced that he’s going to do a mission when his career at Duke is over. JB: “I don’t think that’s going to happen. Most guys do it in college. It’s highly unusual for a guy like Parker to take a mission”. Of course, his Duke basketball career may be over before the normal four year run.

Lynn “has been a Syracuse fan forever”. (That’s a long time.) He used to be the only kid in Fort Bragg with an SU jersey. He pointed out that North Carolina doesn’t have Michael Jordan any more. JIM: “They don’t happen very often.” Lynn thought that if Cooney makes his threes, we will beat UNC. JB : “And, if we rebound and play good defense we’ve got a good chance.” Coaches….

They talked about past North Carolina games, including the two we lost to MJ’s teams, (both by the same score 64-87 but totally different games- we were in the first down there until the Heels pulled away at the end with the help of the refs who called about 3 times as many fouls on us as them. The

Second was in the Dome but it was a blow-out from the opening tip. At least Dr. Spera got to see the look on Michael Jordan’s face as his 60 footer at the halftime buzzer went in.) JB: “That team had Michael Jordan, Brad Daugherty and Sam Perkins, three long-time NBA players. The 1975 game was a big win for Syracuse basketball. In 1987, we got to my first Final Four as a head coach.”

Therese praised the team’s improvement in free throw shooting, (we are .688 this year vs. .675 last season). JB: “We have guys who can make foul shots. If the right guys get fouled, you’ll have a good percentage. In past years we had some big guys who could score and rebound and got fouled a lot but weren’t good foul shooters.”

Barry called on his cell phone even though he was at Delmonico’s at the time. He was worried about over-confidence. Jim: “Our guys aren’t over-confident. We haven’t been blowing people out. I’ve seen teams start 12-0 and then lose 6-7 in a row in the conference.”

Rob in Geddes asked if JB was “ready for that southern cooking”. Jim: “We have the best barbeque in the country right here at the Dinosaur. We went to a simple place at Virginia Tech. it was good. There was a great place at Clemson one year, (that would have been the 2007 NIT). I have relatives in Birmingham Alabama and down there there’s an Italian place run by a guy who had a place in New York City for 20 years. You can’t get into his place with a reservation. I’m really not concerned about food when we’re on the road.” Maybe we should have joined Conference USA, which has UAB in it.

Andrew Bynum has been traded with draft choices for Luol Deng to Chicago. “The Bulls are looking to the future with Rose hurt. They’ll probably waive Bynum, who isn’t that motivated to play. Somebody will pick him up.” Gomez suggested the Heat might give him a try. “They already have Oden- do they want another project?” I checked the headlines this morning and the Bulls have already waived Bynum.

Miami is shooting 51.1% from the field, an historical number. They were playing the Knicks last night. The Knick’s chances? “It depends on who they are resting.” Chalmers and Battier were hurt and Haslem and Jones’ didn’t play. The Knicks won, 102-92. Of course, they are without a lot of guys, too.

They talked about Blake Griffin, who “has worked hard on his shooting and is a better player.”

Greg Popovich blew off another halftime interview. “He doesn’t like them and makes no bones about it. It’s a rule that you have to give them. I think ti’s a 50 grand fine. Of course, in the NBA, they fine you 50 grand if you spit on the court.“ Jr Smith, “is crazy. They won’t get rid of him. Nobody wants him. He’s not shooting the ball well.”

There were stories that the Lakers were asking Kobe Bryant who he wanted to be the next coach. JB: “Players are not involved with hiring. They might ask Kobe what he might suggest but they won’t ask if it’s all right with him. And Red McCombs should no better than to object to Texas hiring Charlie Strong. He should know from being a businessman that you’ve got to leave that up to the professionals. “

Pete said that Tyler Ennis is like that Robert Redford movie “The Natural”. JB laughed. Pete then compared him to Gerry McNamara because he was so good as a freshman. “Gerry was a great shooter. Tyler was a great playmaker. Gerry won’t like this about Tyler is a little bigger. Gerry was a scoring point guard. Tyler is a passing point guard. Both are tough competitors. Not many guys are successful in college if they aren’t.

Linda called in just to say she’d enrolled 6th grade son into a basketball team to make him well rounded. She went to the 1981 National Sports festival in Syracuse and became fascinated with judo. She took judo classes from any Olympian. It has made her well-rounded. Who is going to argue with her?

Mandy noted that when we played Miami, the Miami players went over to shake JB’s hand. Jim: “We’ve never done that. Our guys shook hands with the referee. I don’t know where that came from. In my career here, we probably haven’t had 10 teams come over and shake my hand and two of them have done it this year. They probably just think I’m an old man and felt sorry for me.” Gomez suggested they just wanted to shake hands with a Hall of Famer while they had the chance. “Maybe so….”

I appreciate the summary. If you ever don't have a question would you mind asking him about his opinion on the possession arrow and if he feels coaches nationally would like to see it go away?

I'm never out of questions. But you can ask one yourself:

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-437-7644. Or you can submit questions from this page:

http://www.suathletics.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

Ah - the rest of the story.

With Gomez:

Miami is shooting 51.1% from the field, an historical number. They were playing the Knicks last night. The Knick’s chances? “It depends on who they are resting.” Chalmers and Battier were hurt and Haslem and Jones’ didn’t play. The Knicks won, 102-92. Of course, they are without a lot of guys, too.

Linda called in just to say she’d enrolled 6th grade son into a basketball team to make him well rounded. She went to the 1981 National Sports festival in Syracuse and became fascinated with judo. She took judo classes from any Olympian. It has made her well-rounded. Who is going to argue with her?

Mandy noted that when we played Miami, the Miami players went over to shake JB’s hand. Jim: “We’ve never done that. Our guys shook hands with the referee. I don’t know where that came from. In my career here, we probably haven’t had 10 teams come over and shake my hand and two of them have done it this year. They probably just think I’m an old man and felt sorry for me.” Gomez suggested they just wanted to shake hands with a Hall of Famer while they had the chance. “Maybe so….”

SWC, your questions are great! I was interested that he said we recruit from the northeast down to DC. So specific! And then said that many of the prep schools have players from all over the country. I realized - duh - that we have more regionalism in college bball than I had thought about before. That may be one of the reasons college bball is more funner. It feels more tribal. Northeast vs. Midwest etc.

SWC, your questions are great! I was interested that he said we recruit from the northeast down to DC. So specific! And then said that many of the prep schools have players from all over the country. I realized - duh - that we have more regionalism in college bball than I had thought about before. That may be one of the reasons college bball is more funner. It feels more tribal. Northeast vs. Midwest etc.

More funner?

College football used to be very regional. Ben Schwartzwalder never had a significant player who wasn't from New York or an adjacent state. Two platoon football ruined that. Now you have to recruit from all over the country to get enough players and, with walk-ons, the roster is 100+ guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom