The Commission on College Basketball will share its recommendations Wednesday, April 25 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Commission on College Basketball will share its recommendations Wednesday, April 25

"'One-and-done has to go one way or another,' Rice told the AP, expressing hope the NBA would act."

Ball in NBPA’s court. What is their motivation to amend this rule?

Who determines what a level 1 offense is and who they investigate? They don't address that at all. To date it sure seems the NCAA has been very selective in their investigations and enforcement. Outsource their investigation etc to whom? Hate that they use Syracuse as an example but leave out UNC etc and allude that SU's punishment was too light. Uggh

By the way who are the 12 people on this commission? I have only seen Condoleeza Rice's name.

I went to school when freshmen were ineligible. Works just fine. At that time schools did have hard time scraping together a schedule, probably with a limited budget but can see it being easier now as conference freshmen games would pretty much fill it up.
If the NBA won't fix OAD, then make freshmen ineligible again. Encumbering the scholarship for 4 years will also make colleges think long and hard about recruiting people who will leave early, not just the OADs.

I thinking making freshman ineligible will steer more players away from college. Don't like it.
And if they don't play in college it means ...
Did college bball shrivel up and die because Tracy McGrady, Lebron James, and Kwame Brown (the reason for the OAD rule) didn't play in college?

It makes too much sense to impose the Olympic rule. You're still creating problems by allowing kids to talk to agents in high school. There will be funneling of money. Loans and advances will still be paid out and there will still be funneling to certain programs with incentives attached.

I heard this discussed briefly on Golic and Wingo on the ride in this morning. I stopped listening at the "end one and done" comment. First of all, any type of recommendation that takes 60 pages is too long. But after all this your #1 change is something that is not a college basketball rule? The NBA has no incentive to change their rule and if they were smart the NBAPA would not support changing it either. Where is either's financial incentive?
#2 should have happened long ago. That is an NCAA rule and similar to the NCAA baseball rule. #3 Stay the "F" out of High School sports. Don't try to change the rules for thousands of athletes when only a couple dozen each year are truly impacted by this. #4 Wait for the lawsuit to be allowed to wear #44 at Syracuse because I assume the money for #44 jerseys would have to be split between everyone who has ever worn it. Including estates?

If the NBA won't fix OAD, then make freshmen ineligible again. Encumbering the scholarship for 4 years will also make colleges think long and hard about recruiting people who will leave early, not just the OADs.

And if they don't play in college it means ...
Did college bball shrivel up and die because Tracy McGrady, Lebron James, and Kwame Brown (the reason for the OAD rule) didn't play in college?
No. I'm concerned it will steer lesser known or lesser talented players away too. I'm actually not concerned at all about the Lebron's, etc.

I went to school when freshmen were ineligable. Works just fine. At that time schools did have hard time scraping together a schedule, probably with a limited budget but can see it being easier now as conference freshmen games would pretty much fill it up.
Just curious but how did they fill out the roster of the freshman team? Walk ons? Sounds essentially like they play club team quality.

Just curious but how did they fill out the roster of the freshman team? Walk ons? Sounds essentially like they play club team quality.
Yes, with walk-ons. But everyone is in the same boat, 3 or 4 scholarship players and the rest are walk-ons who played for their HS. Some of the walk-ons are probably D-3 level players. It's just like the male practice players for the D-1 women's bball teams all played bball in HS but aren't good enough to play for their school's D-1 men's team.

Yeah - removes any incentive for the cream of the crop to go to college. But, that might not be a bad thing. Keep the college game for student-athletes!
Right, but will it steer players "a tier below" away who need a couple more years of ball to develop their game? They aren't gonna want to sit for a year. I get it, not a fan of one and done either. I don't know what the solution is to be honest.

Right, but will it steer players "a tier below" away who need a couple more years of ball to develop their game? They aren't gonna want to sit for a year. I get it, not a fan of one and done either. I don't know what the solution is to be honest.

I don't think the NCAA should make a habit of trying to regulate bad decisions.

If you want to go pro, you should be able to (and take on the accompanying risks and benefits). If you want to go to college, go to college.

Who determines what a level 1 offense is and who they investigate? They don't address that at all. To date it sure seems the NCAA has been very selective in their investigations and enforcement. Outsource their investigation etc to whom? Hate that they use Syracuse as an example but leave out UNC etc and allude that SU's punishment was too light. Uggh

By the way who are the 12 people on this commission? I have only seen Condoleeza Rice's name.
Level of offense is probably characterized by specific groupings of schools. Bet your bottom dollar that UCN, Duke,UK are not in the same list as Syracuse.

The continuing effort by the NCAA to make this an NBA problem is comedy. Fix your own problems. NBA will have to pressure and address it but it's the college world's job to make kids want to go.

Yup, walk ons. And if only 3 or 4 scholarship freshmen, those would play "40" minutes. Back when I was a freshman, rosters were bigger, 15. It so happened we had 5 freshman scholarship players BUT it turned out one walk on was better than the scholarship center! The walk on played mucm, much more than the center. Again because there were many more independent school and because of bugets, freshmen teams often played fewer gams and some against semi pro teams and even CC schools. The Bonnies freshmen team was one of the best in the country that year.

upload_2018-4-25_12-2-22.png

So if a restaurant gives free food to players, an "impermissible benefit", the head coach can be fired and banned for life even though he had no knowledge of or anything to do with it. Brilliant.
And the NCAA has nothing to do with one-and-dones ... it's an NBA policy. The NBA will act in it's own economic self interest, they don't care squat about what the NCAA wants.

So, if this isn't on the NBAPA's plate until 2020 draft at the earliest (which, the NBA has no urgency issue here as there isn't a financial incentive) and the NCAA wants to wash their hands completely of the dozen or so prospects annually who fit this bill, why not change the LOI, or related document. Make the contractual language clear and concise that if you sign this document, and do not stay for more than one year, etc. (a la a 2 year commitment similar to cell phone contracts, etc.) you need to refund the cost of your scholarship (remaining commitment) even place an additional penalty/fee for doing so.

These select few one and doners have absolutely no interest in going to college, and only go because they can't go to the NBA currently directly out of high school. Let them all go to the G league or overseas, etc. for a year, just get them the hell out of the college game. Good riddance!

Last edited:
So, if this isn't on the NBAPA's plate until 2020 draft at the earliest (which, the NBA has no urgency issue here as there isn't a financial incentive) and they want to wash their hands completely of the dozen or so prospects annually who fit this bill, why not change the LOI, or related document. Make the contractual language clear and concise that if you sign this document, and do not stay for more than one year, etc. (a la a 2 year commitment similar to cell phone contracts, etc.) you need to refund the cost of your scholarship, and with interest from when you signed on the dotted line. These one and doners have absolutely no interest in going to college, and only go because they can't go to the NBA currently directly out of high school. Let them all go to the G league or overseas, etc. for a year, just get them the hell out of the college game. Good riddance!

Refund the cost of attendance? Many of these kids come from situations where they wouldn't be able to attend college period if not for an athletic scholarship. If you want to torpedo college basketball, a requirement like that is exactly how you do it. What's so hard about the Olympic model? Those who can command compensation for their likeness will receive it. Those who can not, will not.

Refund the cost of attendance? Many of these kids come from situations where they wouldn't be able to attend college period if not for an athletic scholarship. If you want to torpedo college basketball, a requirement like that is exactly how you do it. What's so hard about the Olympic model? Those who can command compensation for their likeness will receive it. Those who can not, will not.

So what, that's the risk they take for not honoring the more than one year commitment. It won't hurt the game at all because it only affects a select few who are truly one and doners. The college game doesn't need them a bit, it will survive. If the kid breaks his commitment, and gets to the NBA the following year, he'll have the means to pay it back. If the players stay the minimal two year period (an example) they have nothing to worry about from a financial standpoint, relative to the refund, etc.

Again, these one and doners have absolutely zero interest in college, especially once they have cleared the 2nd semester eligibility requirement. If they want to go pro right out of high school, go to the G league or overseas...it'll at least put the onus on the NBAPA to act more swiftly, if they act at all.

I'm okay with their likeness model, or a percentage of it, etc. If they want to benefit from their likeness, shirts, jerseys, etc., they should have some skin involved in the overhead, etc. to produce it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom