The Committee is Done for the Year | Syracusefan.com

The Committee is Done for the Year

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
And I say that thinking it is indeed possible.

Is it fair? No, But they can save a whole bunch of time and come up with something reasonable. They have probably seen some strippers this evening with the time saved

There are no bubble teams playing tomorrow. The only real bubble team playing today was Providence. So the committee basically completed the field today and had plenty of time to work on seeding below the 3 line. They left Louisiana Tech to discuss tomorrow as an at large. They decided it would be a nice discussion to have while they drink some scotch and smoke cigars tomorrow afternoon. They can be easily placed in a bracket as a play in at the last minute.

All teams ranked past #14 were firmly ranked. All provisions were completed for tomorrow's games with no real interruption to the bracket.

A-10 Final: VCU is a 5/6 seed. They were justified as 6 seed win or lose. Place them on the 6 line. Give St. Joes a 9 seed. Win or lose it's supportable. A win over VCU is not so huge that it needs to put you up a line or two

SEC - Kentucky is probably below GW. Should be an 8. But committee gave them a 7 -- it's supportable win or lose. And the A-10 has enough 6/7 seeds anyway. Who the F did they think they were.

Sun Belt - The committee was pissed. It told crappy conferences to stop playing on Sunday. It was an unnecessary nag. It was going to put the winner on the 14 line, but some no good rookie committee member said it would be easy to just switch a couple nearbu teams around 13/14 without any bracket issues. So done.

ACC / Big 10 - Is Duke or Virginia really a one seed? Whomever wins were they really ahead of Michigan, even if the Wolverines lose? It's close if it's Duke. But not clear cut. And the committee has granted favours to Duke for years anyway. The committee just made their lives easy and decided to make Michigan that #1 seed, win or lose. After all no great argument could be made for anybody else even if they lose.

The decision was made final on Saturday evening - Michigan is the final #1 seed. It saves time and effort tomorrow.

It was decided that Duke and Virginia would play for MSG. Winner gets #2 in MSG, loser gets #3 in the south. Since they are in the same conference it's an easy contingency to do without messing up the bracket at all.

EDIT (The following pargraph was amended after some thought)
EDIT #2 of following paragraph (11:00 Sunday morning - Should make a contingency for Michigan St and Syracuse)

So one team left - Michigan St. That staff assistant keener in the corner of the room who has been doing all their work -- Jim Alsacs -- convinced the crew that it was fair to do a contingency between them and Syracuse. After all a pod is up in the air. So against their good senses, the committee decided they would try to make it work on the bracket tomorrow. But they were not impressed with Mr. Alsacs at all. He as not invited out for the evening.

The bracket will be completed by a few committee noobs tomorrow afternoon (or if they are smart enough one of their junior assistants)

#1 Seeds
Florida
Arizona
Wichita St
Michigan

#2 Seeds
Wisconsin
Duke or Virginia
Villanova
Iowa St

#3 Seeds
Louisville
Kansas
Virginia or Duke
Syracuse or Michigan St

#4 Seeds
Michigan St or Syracuse
San Diego St
Creighton
UConn

#5 Seeds
UCLA
Cincinnati
Ohio St
UNC

#6 Seeds
VCU
Oklahoma
New Mexico
Texas

#7 Seeds
UMass
Baylor
St. Louis
Kentucky

#8 Seeeds
George Washington
Oregon
Kansas St
Memphis

#9 Seeds
Gonzaga
Colorado
Pitt
St. Joes

#10 Seeds
Stanford
Providence
Oklahoma St
Arizona St

#11 Seeds
Nebraska
Dayton
Xavier
Tennessee / Iowa

#12 Seed
BYU/SMU
Harvard
North Dakota St
Stephen F Austin

#13 Seed
Georgia St or Deleware
Manhattan
Tulsa
New Mexico St

#14 Seed
Deleware or Louisiana Lafayette
Western Michigan
NC Central
Mercer

#15 Seed
American
Eastern Kentucky
Milwaukee
Weber St

#16 Seed
Wofford
Albany
Mount St. Mary's / Cal Poly
Coastal Carolina / Texas Southern

Last edited:
11:00 AM EDIT - I decided to add a Syracuse/Michigan St contingency on the 3/4 line. It seemed only fair and if I could come up with something reasonable in 3-5 minutes, why couldn't they. The new bracketing rules do make contingencies much easier

Here is my final bracket:

1) Duke and Virginia winner determines 2 East / 3 South
2) Michigan St wins it gets the 3 seed, if they lose Syracuse gets the 3 seed. Uconn may need to be moved on the 4 line if Michigan St loses.
3) Sun Belt champ will be 13 or 14 dependent on winner

Everything else is firm no matter what happens tomorrow. That includes Michigan as the final #1 seed, win or lose.

As noted above my final bracket is based on the fact that I fullt expect the committee to be lazy. Its the way they have always been and it is engrained into them. Newcomers quickly learn. Look at the picture of them on the cover of ESPN website. They are all lounging on chairs watching games on TV. Twats.

SOUTH - Memphis

Orlando

1 Florida
16 Wofford

8 Memphis
9 St. Joes

San Diego

4 Michigan St or Uconn
13 New Mexico St

5 UCLA
12 Xavier

Buffalo

2 Villanova
15 Milwaukee

7 Baylor
10 Providence

Raleigh

3 Duke or Virginia
14 NC Central

6 VCU
11 SMU / Tennessee

WEST - Anaheim

San Diego

1 Arizona
16 Cal Poly / Texas Southern

8 George Washington
9 Gonzaga

Spokane

4 San Diego St
13 Georgia St or Deleware

5 Cincinnati
12 Harvard

St Louis

2 Iowa St
15 Eastern Kentucky

7 Kentucky
10 Arizona St

Buffalo

3 Syracuse or Michigan St
14 Western Michigan

6 Umass
11 Iowa / BYU

MIDWEST - Indianapolis

St Louis

1 Wichita St
16 Mount St. Mary's / Coastal Carolina

8 Kansas St
9 Colorado

Spokane

4 Syracuse or UConn
13 Manhattan

5 Ohio St
12 North Dakota St

Milwaukee

2 Wisconsin
15 Weber St

7 St Louis
10 Oklahoma St

San Antonio

3 Kansas
14 Deleware or Lafayette

6 New Mexico
11 Nebraska

EAST - New York

Milwaukee

1 Michigan
16 Albany

8 Oregon
9 Pitt

San Antonio

4 Creighton
13 Tulsa

5 UNC
12 Stephen F Austin

Raleigh

2 Duke or Virginia
15 American

7 Texas
10 Stanford

Orlando

3 Louisville
14 Mercer

6 Oklahoma
11 Dayton

Last edited:
someone bump this tomorrow to see if these guys beat Lunardi and Palm

FYI: Pitino said they are a 1 seed.

Looks good but Providence won't be opposite Villanova for a potential round of 32 game. Big East is only getting 4 teams so it will be easy to avoid having them play until late in the region.

And yes, I know they got rid if that rule a few years ago. However, the rule was discarded because they were having trouble balancing the brackets because the Big East had 10 of 11 teams. That's no longer a problem with conference realignment (at least it's not a problem this year).

Good job I agree Michigan is a lock for a 1 seed regardless but I think with Creighton losing the final 3 seed and Buffalo is on the line for Sparty. Michigan wins Sparty is a 4 Spokane but if they win Syracuse is the 4 to Spokane.
Also UCLA and UConn are close but I lean UCLA.

So I am a nerd for this stuff, and just need to have a bracket done. Personally I think for some people, like myself (and probably Alsacs and Chris) it just another form of an Adult Puzzle. You have to think your way through, and its just entertaining way to make your mind work a bit. And it becomes addicting.

I tend to play around with seedings and brackets all day on Sunday. But I knew it would be busy today.

I do think some committees try to avoid most work after 1:00 Sunday if they can. Although, not all of them do. If they want to make work for themselves today there is certainly the opportunity.

- Michigan St vs Syracuse should be decided after they play

- Is Michigan really the #1 seed if they lose. They could wait until after the ACC game and make things tight.
- Is Virginia really more deserving of MSG than Villanova if they win today.

But as I mentioned something reasonable could be completed in advance. And they may well choose to do so. To save myself today, I did the same.

Did it take him less than a minute to say it?
Then Pitino quickly retracted and said a 2, maybe 3. He normally doesn't say something like this (#1) on national TV. A little politicking I guess. They'll probably come in as a 3, but really think based on recent play and their team as a whole, they should be a 2. I see and hear about them a lot around here. Keep SU away, but again I think on a good day, SU can beat anyone.

someone bump this tomorrow to see if these guys beat Lunardi and Palm

I have been doing brackets for quite a while, before 2008. Not a pro by any means, just for fun. I was on the bracket matrix from 2008 to 2010.

I will give you a link to 2008, because that was a good freshman year for me on the matrix. 2009 and 2010... 2009 was a bit of sophomore slump that extended into my junior year!!

Note they only look at seed lines. I also tend think the scores focus too much on seed lines rather than what is really important to most - 1 seeds, pod seeds, and the bubble. To people really care about the middle of the bracket?

http://bracketmatrix.com/matrix_2008.html I was 18 out of 52. Barely beat Palm who was 19th, and was ahead of Lundardi who was 30th.

2009 - In 2009 Palm was 5th out of 60. Lunardi was 23, I was average at 32.

2010 - In 2010 I was 64th out of 82. Probably only ahead of people who didn't try. Lundardi was 53 out of 82 - so not much better. Palm was 15th of 82. Very solid again.

Based on 2008-2010, Palm is your man.

----------

I tend to enjoy the discussion more during the season than the final bracket itself, and that is where I value fellow bracket followers the most.

Looks good but Providence won't be opposite Villanova for a potential round of 32 game. Big East is only getting 4 teams so it will be easy to avoid having them play until late in the region.

And yes, I know they got rid if that rule a few years ago. However, the rule was discarded because they were having trouble balancing the brackets because the Big East had 10 of 11 teams. That's no longer a problem with conference realignment (at least it's not a problem this year).

Your right. Even if rule says they do not need to, I am sure in practice they will try to keep them apart. I guess we will see what they do this year.

I took full liberal use of the new bracket rules. In part because I was doing it after 2:00. The new rules do make it ALOT easier to come up with a bracket. It was a pain in the ass following the old rules where teams could not meet until the elite 8, if the conference had 8 or less teams in the tourney. It will make the building of contingencies much easier today.

Good job I agree Michigan is a lock for a 1 seed regardless but I think with Creighton losing the final 3 seed and Buffalo is on the line for Sparty. Michigan wins Sparty is a 4 Spokane but if they win Syracuse is the 4 to Spokane.
Also UCLA and UConn are close but I lean UCLA.

Making a switch between the 3/4 line, from two major conferences, was a bracketing nightmare in year's past. The number of changes that would fall out from that move alone could be as many 10-15. Just remember that a B10 or BE team was likely already in that other group of 8, so they would need to be switched.. which may cause further switches, and pod changes.

That slight tweak allowing teams to match up in round of 32 or round of 16 makes it so much easier.

BTW, I just realized I made a bracket error. After changing my mind on Syracuse/Michigan St last night, I switched them around, but I now have Michigan St in the same region as Wisconsin which is not allowed.

So because of this young keener on the committee, Alsacs, a change will need to be made.

well you've done all the hard work for them. the committee can all go back to their hotel rooms and snort coke off expensive hookers. question. anybody know the breakdown of the selection squad ? is it an all men's club or are there a few token broads? maybe both ways?

So, I decided I really should try to build a 3/4 contingency between Syracuse/Michigan St. I need to move Michigan St from the Midwest anyway because it is a bracketing error.

But this is an example of problems you run into when you build contingencies:
Syracuse has to be in West or Midwest.
Michigan St has to be in Midwest or South.

So you have a few choices. You either have to move the 3 Duke/Virginia from the South to the West, or move the 4 San Diego St out of the west, merely to make room for a contingency. And the committee does not want to do that.

Let me think about it.

So I built in a Syracuse/Michigan St contingency that could be done before today's games. Kept Duke/Virginia in the south, and San Diego St in the west.

It was not that difficult due to the new bracket rules, but there a little thought. To get it done, I had to bring in UConn to facilitate it. It was a nice little puzzle to think about this morning. And if I can think about it, why can't the committee before 1:00.

The 3 Seed in the West (and Buffalo) could go to either Syracuse or Michigan St.

Problem is that Syracuse can't play in the South and Michigan cannot play in the Midwest.

So we bring in UConn to make it work.
If Michigan St wins, Syracuse moves to the Midwest as a 4
If Michigan St loses, Michigan plays in the West as a 4, and UConn moves to the Midwest,

Now we just change the 5 seeds around to avoid any matchups in the round of 32 that are not supposed to happen.
Move UCLA to the South (San Diego Pod)
Move Cincy to the West
Move Ohio St to the Midwest

All done.

my bracket is set:

SOUTH:

Orlando
1-Florida
16-Coastal Carolina
8-Oregon
9-Oklahoma State

Spokane
5-Ohio State/VCU(contingency)
12-ND State
4-San Diego St
13-New Mexico State

Raleigh
6-Oklahoma
11-Tennessee/Smu(first 4)
3-Virginia/Duke(Contingency)
14-Tulsa/UL Lafayette(contingency)

Buffalo
7-St Louis
10-Stanford
2-Villanova
15-American u

WEST:

San Diego
1-Arizona
16-Wofford
8-Kansas State
9-Pittsburgh

San Antonio
5-UConn
12-Manhattan
4-Michigan st
13-Georgia State/Tulsa(contingency)

Buffalo
6-Kentucky
11-Dayton/BYU(first 4)
3-Syracuse
14-Western Michigan

St Louis
7-Gonzaga
10-Providence
2-Kansas
15-Milwaukee

MIDWEST:

St Louis
1-Wichita State
16-Cal Poly/Texas Southern(first 4)
8-Texas
9-Memphis

San Diego
5-North Carolina
12-Iowa
4-UCLA
13-Delaware

San Antonio
6-New Mexico
11-Xavier
3-Iowa State
14-Mercer

Milwaukee
7-George Washington
10-St Josephs
2-Wisconsin
15-Weber State

EAST:

Milwaukee
1-Michigan
16-Mount St Mary's/Albany(first 4)
8-Umass
9-Colorado

Spokane
5-Cincinnati
12-Nebraska
4-Creighton
13-SF Austin

Orlando
6-VCU/Ohio State(contingency)
11-Harvard
3-Louisville
14-Eastern Kentucky

Raleigh
7-Baylor
10-Arizona St
2-Duke/Virginia(contingency)
15-NC Central

Last edited:
my bracket is set:

SOUTH:

Orlando
1-Florida
16-Coastal Carolina
8-Oregon
9-Oklahoma State

Spokane
5-Ohio State/VCU(contingency)
12-ND State
4-San Diego St
13-New Mexico State

Raleigh
6-Oklahoma
11-Tennessee/Smu
3-Virginia/Duke(Contingency)
14-Tulsa/UL Lafayette(contingency)

Buffalo
7-St Louis
10-Stanford
2-Villanova
15-American u

WEST:

San Diego
1-Arizona
16-Wofford
8-Kansas State
9-Pittsburgh

San Antonio
5-UConn
12-Manhattan
4-Michigan st
13-Georgia State/Tulsa

Buffalo
6-Kentucky
11-Dayton/BYU
3-Syracuse
14-Western Michigan

St Louis
7-Gonzaga
10-Providence
2-Kansas
15-Milwaukee

MIDWEST:

St Louis
1-Wichita State
16-Cal Poly/Texas Southern
8-George Washington
9-Memphis

San Diego
5-North Carolina
12-Iowa
4-UCLA
13-Delaware

San Antonio
6-New Mexico
11-Xavier
3-Iowa State
14-Mercer

Milwaukee
7-Texas
10-St Josephs
2-Wisconsin
15-Weber State

EAST:

Milwaukee
1-Michigan
16-Mount St Mary's/Albany
8-Umass
9-Colorado

Spokane
5-Cincinnati
12-Nebraska
4-Creighton
13-SF Austin

Orlando
6-VCU/Ohio State
11-Harvard
3-Louisville
14-Eastern Kentucky

Raleigh
7-Baylor
10-Arizona St
2-Duke/Virginia
15-NC Central

Many contingencies, but they all seem reasonable. These new relaxed bracketing rules (top 3 no longer need to be in differnt regions, can't meet until the elite 8) really make it easier.

There is no way in the past they would build a contingency for a 5/6 seed A-10 team before 1:00. They would either lock it or start setting up the bracket after the 1:00 games. Now they can rather easily.

In the past one contingency could result in up to 10 changes on the bracket / seed changes for middle of the bracket teams.

yea I was glad it worked out that Michigan state and Syracuse ended up in same bracket too if I wanted to flip

I am not doing an entire bracket too much work. However here is how I have the top 4 seeds for each region.
South
1. Florida
2. Iowa State
3. Virginia/Duke loser
4. UCLA

East
1. Michigan
2. Virginia/Duke winner
3. Villanova
4. San Diego State (Fisher Bowl in sweet 16)

Midwest
1. Wichita State
2. Kansas
3. Louisville
4.Michigan State

West
1. Arizona
2. Wisconsin
3. Syracuse
4.Creighton

Thanks Chris and Alsacs for the material, and discussions this year.

I guess we will find out in 6 hours what the committee did wrong!!

had to change 7 and 8 seeds in Midwest bracket not wanting to put texas/iowa state rematch in round of 32

South
1-Florida
2-Villanova
3-Virginia /Duke loser
4-San Diego St
West
1-Arizona
2-Kansas
3-Syracuse
4-Michigan St
Midwest
1-Wichita St