The Cooney Charge. | Syracusefan.com

The Cooney Charge.

You mean this one? Still fail to see how anyone in their right mind considers this an offensive foul:
upload_2014-2-13_10-49-19.png

Just watched it again. If the ref took his eye off it for a split second and saw Cooney falling down towards fouler, I can slightly appreciate that. Still, watching it again, it's so comical. One or two of these refs has to go, this is nutty.

Just watched it again. If the ref took his eye off it for a split second and saw Cooney falling down towards fouler, I can slightly appreciate that. Still, watching it again, it's so comical. One or two of these refs has to go, this is nutty.

Is it on your DVR, or is there an on-line vid? I tried but didn't find one. And anyway, the camera will not have the same view/look/angle as the ref, so nothing is really going to give us a "smoking gun" look. Remember, the rule book states the player with the ball "must expect to be closely guarded." As in, you don't have to give him "time and distance" (1 full step) like you do with other situations, so block/charge will always be the most controversial call on the court, and yes sometimes refs get it wrong (Triche vs. Ohio State), but so often it happens so quickly all you can do is your best, and be consistent.

You can't really tell much from a still photo, least of all block/charge.
I'd agree for someone that didn't see the play in question, but having watched it live and then seeing this photo, clearly Newkirk was into Cooney and not in a legal defensive position to warrant an offensive charge call. His leg through Cooney's legs is what tripped up Cooney and caused him to fall into Newkirk.

Is it on your DVR, or is there an on-line vid? I tried but didn't find one. And anyway, the camera will not have the same view/look/angle as the ref, so nothing is really going to give us a "smoking gun" look. Remember, the rule book states the player with the ball "must expect to be closely guarded." As in, you don't have to give him "time and distance" (1 full step) like you do with other situations, so block/charge will always be the most controversial call on the court, and yes sometimes refs get it wrong (Triche vs. Ohio State), but so often it happens so quickly all you can do is your best, and be consistent.

I DVR every game and was able to slow it down as well. Bad call

You can't really tell much from a still photo, least of all block/charge.

Cow even you would have said it wasn't a foul if you saw it live. Cooney got to the ball first and stopped to hold it up the Pitt guy came flying in tried to styop and his feet slid causing him to slide tackle Trevor who went down on top of him. You are correct the picture stilled like that doesn't do it justice. It was so bad that after reacting JB was just smiling like OMFG I can't believe it.

Cooney swung his arms just as the Pitt kids slips and it certainly appeared to be offensive except Cooney never hit the kid.

That seemed to be the theme last night, lots of Syracuse fouls that on replay there was no contact.

Just type in google ESPN3. Site is called something else now, but no restrictions. Just go to the replay tab and you will find Cuseeeeeee!

Just type in google ESPN3. Site is called something else now, but no restrictions. Just go to the replay tab and you will find Cuseeeeeee!

Sorry man, us Frostbacks don't get the good ESPN feeds. :( Thanks anyway, though.

Sorry man, us Frostbacks don't get the good ESPN feeds. :( Thanks anyway, though.
Sorry brother. Maybe one of those weird live stream sites offer replays?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom