the crane the crane | Page 162 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

As someone who has seen baseballs hit the roof support rings in The Tropicana (St Pete) and still be in play...this would be a cool home field advantage.

Coach Lustig: okay hit the ball off the S on Syracuse... we'll flood the right side on the 40. Rutgers won't know what to do. We are up 42 and Coach B wants to get more.
This will sure make those 3rd down punts more interesting. Oh, wait...

Well, the wording I read was the new roof will be 5 to 10 feet higher on average.

It will surely start off at the same or nearly the same height. The old roof ballooned out due to air pressure almost immediately, where with this roof, I think it will be a more gradual incline at the perimeter and not nearly as level towards the top. I think the old roof was essentially flat maybe 50 or 60 feet from the center out.

So there will be minimal height difference along the perimeter and much more significant difference towards the center of the roof. Hoping the center of the roof, where the scoreboard will be attached, ends up around or 35 or 40 feet higher.

Pretty sure the center hung scoreboard is going to be a lot longer and wider than it is high. They are probably going to use the 16:9 ratio used for HDTV screens. I think that is standard for stadiums. Might even use a wider ratio for it. Yankee Stadium and the Jerryworld certainly do.

I doubt the new center hung will be more than 45 feet tall. I expect it will intrude a little more than the speakers did but doubt it will come into play very often.
I actually expect (no knowledge) that is will be a lot like the Jerryworld boards. I think that is how they get it to work for hoops as well since that is off to the one side, and the screen will not move. As to the height, I didn't get the impression that it will be much taller anywhere. I am not sure about the math, but I think because it is relatively flat, if it were 40' taller in the middle, the average would be more than 5'.

The new roof is, as you can see, not homogeneous. There are two distinct sections.

The part around the perimeter, that is not translucent, will be hard. I am not sure what it will be made of but I think it will have a steel undercarriage.

The interior portion of the roof will be made of PTFE. They can make it as translucent as desired and for our project, I think it is supposed to be somewhere around 36% translucent. The original plan was to use ETFE nd make the interior part of the roof completely translucent. That got scrapped. Since the PTFE is only supposed to be slightly more translucent than the old roof (I think the old was somewhere in the neighborhood of 33% translucent), I question whether it will be so see through you can clearly see the stands and rest of the interior of the stadium from the outside. Maybe this drawing is a vestige of the earlier plans.

I just find it hard to believe a difference of 3% in translucence would make a roof that you could never see through (you couldn't even see an outline of the sun from inside the dome on a sunny day) so see through that you can clearly see details from one side to the other.
A completely transparent roof is not desirable, in my opinion because of UV and greater heat accumulation. Besides I always prefer to sit in the shade.

the speakers hung down 30-40 ft or more from the roof.. if its the same as that it can probably hang down lower and not cause am issue.. its hard to really tell how many punts actually got close to that height even in the current dome.

A completely transparent roof is not desirable, in my opinion because of UV and greater heat accumulation. Besides I always prefer to sit in the shade.
Agree, but that is not on the table. The question is, will the roof be transparent enough to see through at all, as shown in the drawing?

In other news, it looks like a girder is on the hook on Walt and is on a slow ascent to installation.

I suspect Skylar will be taking a girder up shortly as well.

The dome looks so much better without those old support cables hanging.

Agree, but that is not on the table. The question is, will the roof be transparent enough to see through at all, as shown in the drawing?

In other news, it looks like a girder is on the hook on Walt and is on a slow ascent to installation.

I seem to recall Sala saying the new roof will be able the same transparency as the old roof. He said maybe "a little" lighter but not much.

Currently: Don't know whether the gusts are holding anything up?

Wind: NW at 16 mph

Wind Gusts: 29 mph

Humidity: 45%

Dew Point: 29° F

Pressure: 29.88 inHg

Cloud Cover: 50%

Visibility: 10 mi

Ceiling: 4700 ft

Last edited:

tom, how do you know Walt has a girder on the hook in a slow ascension? Do you have a different view other than the LC so you can see that? Looks like from my LC view Walt isn't doing anything. The inside of the Dome does look much better w/o those cables.

A completely transparent roof is not desirable, in my opinion because of UV and greater heat accumulation.
Babers would approve greater heat accumulation.

tom, how do you know Walt has a girder on the hook in a slow ascension? Do you have a different view other than the LC so you can see that? Looks like from my LC view Walt isn't doing anything. The inside of the Dome does look much better w/o those cables.
Their is a girder hooked up ready to go. It started up and then stopped. Don't know what is going on.

So just to clarify, initially it was supposed to be pretty translucent. Did that indeed get scrapped because of basketball? Or scrapped for other reasons?

The reason I posted current weather is because it says gusts are @ 29 which is beyond knuckle down and the LC is shaking???

Their is a girder hooked up ready to go. It started up and then stopped. Don't know what is going on.
I am guessing that due to the wind now gusting @ 30 M.P.H. there will be no girder installation this afternoon. The view is vacant - no one up on the walkway or anywhere else. The wind is less tomorrow @ 10 with gusts to 14.

Last edited:
Go back about 2:04 or so from 4:11. This is what you will see in the corner.

I agree, they must have gotten cold feet due to the gusting winds. Quite unfortunate.

04022020.png

So just to clarify, initially it was supposed to be pretty translucent. Did that indeed get scrapped because of basketball? Or scrapped for other reasons?
Yes, John Wildhack and Pete Sala were shown models of what the dome would look like on sunny days during basketball season with a translucent roof. There was a lot of glare. Bad for TV, fans and players.
That prompted them to make the PTFE only slightly more translucent than the old roof.

well...they're moving the girder now maybe back to the ground - there's TBC up with crew a basket

Last edited:
well...they're moving the girder now maybe back to the ground - the is a TBC up with crew a basket
They probably have to painstakingly remove the platform they just installed. They must be frustrated.

if we get good weather it could be a 3 girder day tomorrow.. only 1 spiral needed by walt for the 2nd spiral on that end..

Nope...Walt is just holding on to the girder at an angle off the ground on one end. He did move it slightly to the right then stopped. The TBL is back down in the driveway.

if we get good weather it could be a 3 girder day tomorrow.. only 1 spiral needed by walt for the 2nd spiral on that end..
Here's the forecasted weather for tomorrow for girder placement:

4/3

49°Hi

A shower in spots in the morning; otherwise, mostly cloudy

Max UV Index: 1 Low

Wind: NW at 10 mph

Wind Gusts: 14 mph

Probability of Precipitation: 47%

Probability of Thunderstorms: 20%

Precipitation: 0.03 in

Rain: 0.03 in

Snow: 0.0 in