the crane the crane | Page 161 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I’ve been out of the loop
On this for a while... I’m seeing more and more Carrier references on the SU site. Any word on whether they came to resolution OR SUs lawyers realized they were not in a winning position?

wonder why the camera wobble is so bad.

Looking at this stream there is some wind, the flags are moving. Now if we suddenly get nothing but a shot of the roof we can blame the dude that readjusted the camera angle.

As someone who has seen baseballs hit the roof support rings in The Tropicana (St Pete) and still be in play...this would be a cool home field advantage.

Coach Lustig: okay kick the ball off the S on Syracuse... we'll flood the right side on the 40. Rutgers won't know what to do. We are up 42 and Coach B wants to get more.

Last edited:
On this for a while... I’m seeing more and more Carrier references on the SU site. Any word on whether they came to resolution OR SUs lawyers realized they were not in a winning position?

Along with the announcement that air conditioning will be advanced and in place for 2021 Commencement I'd say that resolution is a logical assumption.

Along with the announcement that air conditioning will be advanced and in place for 2021 Commencement I'd say that resolution is a logical assumption.
Carrier spin off from UTX now completed may have had something to do with making a compromise. Carrier is now completely in control of what they can or can not do.

I wonder if they will still need to attach the platforms. It looks like they can reach with the baskets on the zoom lifts.
They have to be getting close. I think they started using them on the diagonal wall coming around by Falk. The ground is further away (lower) from the crown truss on the southwest corner than the northwest corner though, so my guess is they will continue to use them for a bit more.

It looks to me as though Walt has a girder lifted enough so the crew can attach a platform and I think that is happening right now. Should see it go up sometime this afternoon.

Given that the vertical spiral on the east side went up around noon, I think it is very possible a girder will go up there as well this afternoon. The west continues to look very strong.

Last edited:
As someone who has seen baseballs hit the roof support rings in The Tropicana (St Pete) and still be in play...this would be a cool home field advantage.

Coach Lustig: okay hit the ball off the S on Syracuse... we'll flood the right side on the 40. Rutgers won't know what to do. We are up 42 and Coach B wants to get more.
It's still the first half, right?

Can someone please explain how FTFE panels and those dimples can be called a "hard roof". The picture doesn't look that way to me. :confused:

Carrier and Otis being spun off from UTC may have been a factor.

Can someone please explain how FTFE panels and those dimples can be called a "hard roof". The picture doesn't look that way to me. :confused:
The new roof is, as you can see, not homogeneous. There are two distinct sections.

The part around the perimeter, that is not translucent, will be hard. I am not sure what it will be made of but I think it will have a steel undercarriage.

The interior portion of the roof will be made of PTFE. They can make it as translucent as desired and for our project, I think it is supposed to be somewhere around 36% translucent. The original plan was to use ETFE nd make the interior part of the roof completely translucent. That got scrapped. Since the PTFE is only supposed to be slightly more translucent than the old roof (I think the old was somewhere in the neighborhood of 33% translucent), I question whether it will be so see through you can clearly see the stands and rest of the interior of the stadium from the outside. Maybe this drawing is a vestige of the earlier plans.

I just find it hard to believe a difference of 3% in translucence would make a roof that you could never see through (you couldn't even see an outline of the sun from inside the dome on a sunny day) so see through that you can clearly see details from one side to the other.

Does anyone know who is making the roof parts and where they are being done?

Thanks njcuse. I remember you mentioned there was concern about the seams where the two parts of the roof meet.

This is a much better drawing of what the new roof will look like. Do you happen to know what the outer perimeter of the roof, the hard part, will be made of? I am assuming it will be composed mostly of steel, with another substance covering the exterior (probably the interior too).

I am assuming that no light will get through the hard part of the roof, which will reduce the amount of ambient light in the dome, but the PTFE portion will be a little more translucent than the middle part of the old roof, which did not have an inner liner. The inner liner had to greatly reduce the amount of light that could get through that part of the old roof, so the amount of lost light with the hard roof shouldn't be huge.

The interior part of the new roof is markedly bigger than the center part of the old roof that did not have a liner. Maybe twice as big if this drawing is accurate. So that, and the more transparent surface, should make the dome noticeably brighter. I think.

Still curious what the new roof will look like from the inside. That one drawing was so badly done. I hope a better one will be released soon.
I don't know, but I assume it would be as you suggest. I have lots of ideas for how it may work, but no facts or knowledge of how it will work.

The new roof is, as you can see, not homogeneous. There are two distinct sections.

The part around the perimeter, that is not translucent, will be hard. I am not sure what it will be made of but I think it will have a steel undercarriage.

The interior portion of the roof will be made of PTFE. They can make it as translucent as desired and for our project, I think it is supposed to be somewhere around 36% translucent. The original plan was to use ETFE nd make the interior part of the roof completely translucent. That got scrapped. Since the PTFE is only supposed to be slightly more translucent than the old roof (I think the old was somewhere in the neighborhood of 33% translucent), I question whether it will be so see through you can clearly see the stands and rest of the interior of the stadium from the outside. Maybe this drawing is a vestige of the earlier plans.

I just find it hard to believe a difference of 3% in translucence would make a roof that you could never see through (you couldn't even see an outline of the sun from inside the dome on a sunny day) so see through that you can clearly see details from one side to the other.
Only one small correction. PTFE cannot be as translucent as desired, and not that you said anything to the contrary, but it also cannot be transparent. It is stronger than ETFE and given the roof slope and the weather in Syracuse, the decision was made to use the stronger material.

Does anyone know who is making the roof parts and where they are being done?
You have to keep this here:

1585849491449.png

Yes. The earlier drawings of the new roof showed many what looked like small mini domes made of PTFE material. It wasn’t clear how they were getting that shape and I was a little confused about it.

On this drawing, it looks like the PTFE material is just going to be stretched over the steel arcs (I assume they are steel) to achieve the mini dome shapes.

I personally liked the smooth lines of the old roof and am not a big fan of the arcs. I assume they were done to introduce more slope, more runoff, and give snow less of an opportunity to accumulate on the roof during heavy storms. I know snow accumulation was a regular problem with the old roof. Since the new roof is not air supported, this won’t be as crucial an issue but I suspect snow replaces a concern for a roof of this size located in his climate. The blurb accompanying the drawing seems to indicate this.

Hoping NJCuse97 or someone inside the project can provide more insight here.
Just tuning in for the day. Thank you for the explanation.