the crane the crane | Page 183 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Kind of depressing seeing Walt idle. I was enjoying seeing him "beat" the other crane to the middle of the South wall. Seems like a crane that large could really come in handy when they put the new roof on.

Last edited:
Kind of depressing seeing Walt idle. I was enjoying seeing him "beat" the other crane to the middle of the South wall. Seems like a crane that large could really come in handy when they put the new roof on.
I agree. He should have been the crane to put the golder girder in place. Bummer.

It looks like they just installed the hand railing for the last girder on the west grouping while it was in place as part of the crown truss. I am guessing they forgot it and needed to do some catching up.

No sign of another spiral. At this point, I think we will be lucky to get another spiral up today. By my count, we still have 4 girders and 4 spirals to go. I was thinking it could get done this week. Maybe not.

At least the weather looks reasonable the rest of the week.

Screenshot from 2020-04-14 14-13-55.png

Spirals have arrived!

Looks like one long skinny and two fatties although it's hard to tell how many they have stacked from this view.

Ahhhh….I see it clearly now the load is parked half way up Forestry well, not halfway but on Forestry just before the TBL working on top - truck is just pulling up Forestry now and out of view past the end of the Dome corner.

Parked again with its spiral load. You can see about half the trailer form the middle to the end.

A TBL is parked so that the crew can work on the top of the last girder. They have the support of the TBL against the girder and on of the crew just stepped onto the top of the girder. Looks to me that this girder already has a hand railing. They are offloading the spirals at 2:50 P.M. the long one went first. The crane is out of view.

is that true? I thought the weights were to hold the compression in place until the ring was finished ? the added roof wieght is going to add more pressure so why would the counter weights change that?
Back stays can be removed anytime after the crown truss is complete. It is then structurally stable. Roof does not need to be up.

The larger boomed Clark crane has its boom over the side of the Dome into the interior not sure what the op's purpose is but both the smaller TBL and the white Clark are to the right of the backstay across from the last girder coming from the west side. The trailer carrying the spirals is now off loaded. Fast! The Clark crane has now swung its boom almost 180 degrees and is opposite the Dome at the moment. The op was maybe doing some shadow work before lifting something inside - we'll see

that is what i was thinking. once the truss is done I didnt think they had value unless there is some stress of the install they help out with.

There is now a TBL directly across from the LC with crew on the backstay and on the TBL support and is on the way down.

Walt has kicked off his counterweight tray and is sitting minus his op waiting to be dismantled and taken to another destination. Lonely looking part of the yard that we can see.

The trailer that carried the spirals is backing down Forestry and will be on its way back to Montreal. The Clark crane is slowly retracting its boom and packing it in for now.

The TBL is going up again to the last girder coming from the west side and the crew is positioning itself on top of the girder again. Don't know what the purpose is but maybe its tightening the hand railing?

Maybe you should stick to watching the Dome construction cameras Bill...
I 've been watching the Live Cam on Lawrinson since this began. It gives me all the info I need - trouble is sometimes there is too much going on or a crew I was just talking about has now disappeared while I describe something else. Not bad though. I think I get most of the action. :)

I 've been watching the Live Cam on Lawrinson since this began. It gives me all the info I need - trouble is sometimes there is too much going on or a crew I was just talking about has now disappeared while I describe something else. Not bad though. I think I get most of the action. :)
Yeah, I was just kidding. And, I really appreciate your knowledge and insight throughout this process.

Quick question for you or the group: Will the first stage of the fixed roof construction be more labor intensive than the crown truss?

Walt ain't so lonely after all and his op hasn't gone anywhere he's in full motion right now the op has rotated so he's looking straight down Forestry. What that is about I do not know?

Quick question for you or the group: Will the first stage of the fixed roof construction be more labor intensive than the crown truss?
I believe you would need to ask sutomcat about a question like that.