the crane the crane | Page 274 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

It looks like they peeled back the gray and uncovered the blue. They are adding the gray foam that is in the white bags they had already placed on the roof. I wonder if the blue has a sticky surface that allows the foam backing to stick to it.
They pulled out the blue fabric and laid it out on top of the grey. It was new and did not come from behind the grey. It does not have adhesive on it. Workers walked on it with no problem.

I think the brown insulation material might have adhesive on the underside. Can't believe they are just placing it on top of the blue and hoping it stays.

The insulation panels are light brown on the top side and dark brown on the underside. They look to be about the size of a standard piece of plywood.

081720a.jpg

They pulled out the blue fabric and laid it out on top of the grey. It was new and did not come from behind the grey. It does not have adhesive on it. Workers walked on it with no problem.

I think the brown insulation material might have adhesive on the underside. Can't believe they are just placing it on top of the blue and hoping it stays.

The insulation panels are light brown on the top side and dark brown on the underside. They look to be about the size of a standard piece of plywood.

View attachment 186222
I wonder if the blue is a Tyvek-like material.

View attachment 186222
It looks like the black seams are actually long roles of the blue material. They unroll it and then lay the insulation on top. I wouldn’t want tocarry them around with strong winds. Looks like it takes about one hour to do a section.

this is the part of the project where the wife shows up and says "do you really know what you are doing?" And then i say i need to borrow the hair dryer for a bit. there is nothing sticking at this point.. you can see them laying it down and then moving things around

surprised any of this covering survived not being ripped with the amount of ft traffic they all had getting installed

surprised any of this covering survived not being ripped with the amount of ft traffic they all had getting installed
I would hope any of these materials aren't easy to rip for the long term feasibility of the roof!

so you put the white one on then roll it up and take it back off? and then another color board gets out down.. wonder if the white put down some adhesive some how?

this is like making a 7 layer cake

the stuff has to survive winters and you're surprised it didn't get torn by walking on it ?

Last edited:
so you put the white one on then roll it up and take it back off? and then another color board gets out down.. wonder if the white put down some adhesive some how?

130 feet in the air.

I think the white layer really is a tarp to protect the surface from rain. It has come out twice, both times shortly after rain started coming down.

Before the rain came, it looked like they put a second layer of the brown material down that is suspected of being insulation.

Weird day here. Sunny and partly cloudy but with some nasty dark clouds with a lot of rain in them. These cells might feature hard rain for 5 minutes, then you get a couple of hours of sun.

Last edited:
maybe but they didnt cover the whole thing with the white and they started covering the brown with the white sheets at the same time they were covering the other parts of the brown with the white tarp stuff.

maybe but they didnt cover the whole thing with the white and they started covering the brown with the white sheets at the same time they were covering the other parts of the brown with the white tarp stuff.
I think I see what you are talking about.

After the rain stopped, they pulled the white tarp off and applied some panels in the middle. They are a light tan color that I think is different than the color of the original two layers of insulation that were put down.

I think there are 3 layers of insulation material down now. The hard shell part of the roof looks like it is going to be extremely well insulated.

The 4 cranes that started the hard shell builds initially are all located on crane pads and to my knowledge, have not left them. I suspect they are too heavy to drive around wherever they are needed.

Also, remember that in contrast to where the initial 4 cranes are located, location 5 in not flat and is in fact located on a fairly steep hill. I think you need a different setup to operation on a hill. Crane 5 had an elaborate set of stabilizing bars on its base that allowed it to operate there.

Lastly, I think the crane in the southwest corner is still needed, as are all the other cranes, to finish installing the roof in their individual areas. I suspect they didn’t realize 4 cranes could not do the job and had to bring in Crane 5 at the last minute. It is very unfortunate it had problems.

Still no sign of a replacement. My guess is one arrives sometime today. They have to be desperate to get it in ASAP.
Crane 5's replacement, "the hired gun," has arrived and its lattice boom is lying on each side of Forestry as they slowly assemble it. Doesn't look like the other cranes are all that impressed. Maybe they will be when the gun erects itself?!

Man, they are coking with gas today. Throwing that crane together in a HURRY and are almost done with the gray underlay on the southwest side

It looks like they’re setting up #5 lower on the hill.
I would guess they will finish building it today. Badly needed to give them a chance to complete the roof by the deadline. Hope we see it putting steel up first thing tomorrow.

I would guess they will finish building it today. Badly needed to give them a chance to complete the roof by the deadline. Hope we see it putting steel up first thing tomorrow.
It doesn't look like they have completed the assembly on #5. Also, all cranes are knuckled as winds are predicted to be gusting at 15 with sustained at 10 all day. Walt would not have to be knuckled with wind at 15 but I guess these lightweights are. Hope I'm wrong and they just put them down for the night.

It doesn't look like they have completed the assembly on #5. Also, all cranes are knuckled as winds are predicted to be gusting at 15 with sustained at 10 all day. Walt would not have to be knuckled with wind at 15 but I guess these lightweights are. Hope I'm wrong and they just put them down for the night.
SE and W have nestled down for the night regularly, going back at least a week.