the crane the crane | Page 277 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Up and at 'em early today. several layers of underlayment going down on a new section around 6:30 AM today.

I did not realize that crews really are working almost around the clock. Someone mentioned seeing a guy with a flashlight the other night. If you scroll back through last's time-lapse you can see the lifts inside the dome moving around much of the overnight hours. Kudos to those crews

Up and at 'em early today. several layers of underlayment going down on a new section around 6:30 AM today.

I did not realize that crews really are working almost around the clock. Someone mentioned seeing a guy with a flashlight the other night. If you scroll back through last's time-lapse you can see the lifts inside the dome moving around much of the overnight hours. Kudos to those crews
I believe someone mentioned a while ago that the crew installing the LED lighting system is working the night shift. Believe that one starts at 5 PM.

Morning update:

As Geode pointed out, there is a crew working 3rd shift at the dome these days. Captured them bringing in some of the new lights below. Besides putting in lighting, it looks like another crew is working the stands, pulling out all the wood that was pounded into the concrete to protect it from the cables.

Crane 5 never put any steel up yesterday, but it looked like they did a lot of testing, putting the crane in similar positions it would be if it really was going to be used to start filling the gap in the hard shell steel.

When they start moving the steel to Forestry Drive, we will know it has been pronounced good to go.

The crew has already started moving north from the first 3 sections they worked on the last couple of days. At this point, it is still not clear exactly how the hard shell roof will be made. Pretty sure that white covering on the 3 sections that they have been working on so diligently recently is just a temporary cover and rigid paneling (composite metal?) will eventually find its way up top. But maybe it is done and the white cover was installed just to protect the surface from scratches. I don't pretend to know. But as CuseLegacy has pointed out, the descriptions of the roof have consistently said it will feature rigid panels, and I question whether these panels they are throwing around are considered to be rigid. I guess it depends on how rigid your definition of rigid is.

I don't believe the insulation installation process has been started on the northwest section of the build. It still at the grey-blue tarp phase. They have done a lot of that section with grey-blue tarp. I would assume they will be starting to do the insulation thing there soon. Still need to get the grey-blue tarp thing going on the east side of the stadium, which has fallen way behind. I still see some steel getting put up on that end by the cranes in the southeast and northeast corners.

There are still a few sections in the northwest corner, closest to the Lawrinson camera, that have not had the grey-blue starting layer installed. Kind of weird they would push some sections so much further that others, but I am sure they have their reasons.

My hope for today is that Crane 5 starts filling the gap, that the northwest corner gets completed, including installation of the white cover, and work starts on the insulation phase for the northeast corner. Hoping they start installing the roof on the east end of the stadium soon too,

They can finish sections very quickly but the long gaps where nothing gets done make it seem unlikely we are going to see the whole hard shell done in the next 2.5 weeks. Hope they get some momentum going soon.

081920.jpg

I think the rigid panels are the insulation panels they’re installing. I think the white sheet covering the panels is the final finish. This keeps the weight to a minimum on the roof.

If I can see this correctly, it looks like they put down a double layer of the brown part of the roof.

Ahhh, thanks for that. I just finally saw them putting tiles on top of tiles.

They really are cooking this morning. 2/3 of the section done with the brown tiling, and now laying out the deep blue "tarp" in preparation of starting the top section.

Now the "swarm" of 12-15 guys are unloading and placing the lighter rigid tiles that go over the brown underlay. That is a LOT of guys on one part of one section of the roof.

interesting to see the one section is in 4 phases at once.. the blue, the grey, the tan , then the lighter tan. going faster as they move materials closer now when they start too

Well, I am done worrying about the strength of the roof.

I just watched a crane lower a double stack of the roofing supplies in the white shrink wrap that's in Walt's yard. They set it on the UPPER section that just has the gray underlay. Then the proceeded to push the top bundle off and it slammed down onto the roof.

I think the rigid panels are the insulation panels they’re installing. I think the white sheet covering the panels is the final finish. This keeps the weight to a minimum on the roof.
Or are the rigid roof panels reference to the steel structure all these layers are being applied to opposed to the cable ring. And I'm also wondering if PTFE membrane is the white layer that was installed yesterday. :rolleyes:
Only thing I know is that there would have to be some type of metal structure to anchor metal panels on top of what has been installed or it would all fall off the roof.

Or are the rigid roof panels reference to the steel structure all these layers are being applied to opposed to the cable ring. And I'm also wondering if PTFE membrane is the white layer that was installed yesterday. :rolleyes:
Only thing I know is that there would have to be some type of metal structure to anchor metal panels on top of what has been installed or it would all fall off the roof.
I agree. I do think the section in white is the final roof.

Looks like they brought out the tarp to protect the panels being installed. There is a cell of dark looking clouds moving in from the west and they don't want to get the panels wet.

Crane 5b has a big piece of steel to lift but not action so far. Winds are forecast in the 9-10 MPH range. They might also be waiting for this nasty looking cell to move on before getting that steel in the air. I think Crane 5b is the only one outside the dome that hasn't been knuckled down yet.

Edit: it is raining pretty hard on the Quad right now...

Last edited:
Well, I didn't see the first white covering go on so I assumed it was a single piece. As I watch section 2 get covered with it, it's individual rolls that are unrolled down the tile. Each roll seems to cover about 20% of the width. Would be a very odd way to temporarily cover, leads be to believe it's the final cover/coating/layer.

Crane 5B is finally lifting one of the big pieces of steel. I think this is the one that forms the border with the PTFE part of the roof. He (or she) unfortunately just moved it from a truck to the ad hoc storage yard on the old TV deck.

Good to finally see a little progress closing the gap. Hopefully it is about to go up top.

Well, I didn't see the first white covering go on so I assumed it was a single piece. As I watch section 2 get covered with it, it's individual rolls that are unrolled down the tile. Each roll seems to cover about 20% of the width. Would be a very odd way to temporarily cover, leads be to believe it's the final cover/coating/layer.
It is an interesting question. It looks like they are doing something to the white material as they unroll it on the roof. They unroll a short section, crouch down around it and do something. Apply epoxy? Not sure. Whatever they do, it looks like the material is very secure afterwards.

One thing that I think might be a problem is that the seams of the sections are covered by this material. The side to side seams are gone, completely covered. The Geiger drawing clearly shows a dark line where the section borders end, lengthwise and widthwise.

The Geiger drawing also has the exterior surface of the hard shell as a light tan color.

Is the drawing wrong? I am 95% sure that it has the color of the PTFE section wrong (it shows as beige, not snow white). That might have been done to make it easier to show that the PTFE fabric is quite translucent (another thing that is wrong about the drawing), so I am willing to give them a pass on that.

Could they have gotten almost everything wrong about the exterior surface? Maybe. It just seems odd that they would show those seams so prominently and then get rid of them in the final product.

Maybe they are going to add cables on top of the white material later and get the seams to show that way. Right now, I don't see how the roof will hold together over time. It seems like a lot of layers were just laid on top of each other. It is really windy and gusty up there. I would think it would almost certainly lose layers over time.

Maybe they can clip the material to the metal borders of each section?

Update: I can clearly see the white material rippling in the breeze along the left side of the newest section done. It is clearly not attached right now, at least not on the sides. Maybe on the top and the bottom. They could do it later though.

I hope at some point that someone will explain the structure of the hard shell, what the layers are, what their purpose is, and how it all holds together. It is probably the most famous and important building in CNY.

Surely someone cares about it besides the people on this thread.

Probably not. Their loss.
Yes they do care as evidenced by this letter to this site and in reply to a question I had about the fabric arches. The following is in reply to a letter I sent to Mr. David Campbell Engineer of Record and President of Geiger Engineers.

Dear Sir,
We received your email and hope we can answer your questions. As the Engineer of Record for the New Roof Project, I am flattered at your interest in the project. As for your question, the steel tube arches that support the tensioned membrane (ptfe-coated fiberglass fabric) are referred to as the “fabric arches”. I am afraid there is no established technical name for these elements and like many components in a project like this, their name develops in the course of the project rather organically by the construction team. In this case, the name is appropriate.
The fabric arches are supported by the cable truss which is in turn supported by the new steel crown truss and the original concrete ring beam. The fabric arches are attached to the cable truss by the way of steel fabrications that bolt to the cable intersection clamps. The typical arch attachment is made via a machined ball & socket so as to “pin” the arch to the cable truss. You should be able to see these being attached on the web cam after the cable truss is pulled into place and jacked, which will be occurring over the next 4 to 5 weeks.
I hope this answered your questions. We appreciate your interest in the Project.
Thank you and Best Regards,
David M. Campbell P.E.
Geiger Engineers
2 Executive Blvd. Suite 309
Suffern, NY 10901
t 845. 368.3330 x 111
m 845. 729.1063
dmc@geigerengineers.com

This does not address what the crews are doing now with insulation and tomcats statement but Mr. Campbell clearly knows what is happening every day on this project. :)

Yes they do care as evidenced by this letter to this site and in reply to a question I had about the fabric arches. The following is in reply to a letter I sent to Mr. David Campbell Engineer of Record and President of Geiger Engineers.

Dear Sir,
We received your email and hope we can answer your questions. As the Engineer of Record for the New Roof Project, I am flattered at your interest in the project. As for your question, the steel tube arches that support the tensioned membrane (ptfe-coated fiberglass fabric) are referred to as the “fabric arches”. I am afraid there is no established technical name for these elements and like many components in a project like this, their name develops in the course of the project rather organically by the construction team. In this case, the name is appropriate.
The fabric arches are supported by the cable truss which is in turn supported by the new steel crown truss and the original concrete ring beam. The fabric arches are attached to the cable truss by the way of steel fabrications that bolt to the cable intersection clamps. The typical arch attachment is made via a machined ball & socket so as to “pin” the arch to the cable truss. You should be able to see these being attached on the web cam after the cable truss is pulled into place and jacked, which will be occurring over the next 4 to 5 weeks.
I hope this answered your questions. We appreciate your interest in the Project.
Thank you and Best Regards,
David M. Campbell P.E.
Geiger Engineers
2 Executive Blvd. Suite 309
Suffern, NY 10901
t 845. 368.3330 x 111
m 845. 729.1063
dmc@geigerengineers.com

This does not address what the crews are doing now with insulation and tomcats statement but Mr. Campbell clearly knows what is happening every day on this project. :)
He's on this thread.