the crane the crane | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Cool stuff.

Dome 120519.jpg

Those guys must be freezing their ya-yas off up there. They need a shot of something when they come down.
1575559807626.png

When I was a tween/teen living in Syracuse, my Dad would give me a shot of some Polish cherry whiskey when I came in from shoveling the driveway. That stuff warmed you up quick.

Those guys must be freezing their ya-yas off up there. They need a shot of something when they come down.
View attachment 173790
When I was a tween/teen living in Syracuse, my Dad would give me a shot of some Polish cherry whiskey when I came in from shoveling the driveway. That stuff warmed you up quick.
I'm thinking they are sweating bullets with that steel hanging from the crane.

I'm thinking they are sweating bullets with that steel hanging from the crane.
Building a complicated, unstable crown truss over an existing extremely fragile roof in the middle of a Syracuse winter is a lot to take on. The people on this crew have my respect for even trying to pull this off.

Building a complicated, unstable crown truss over an existing extremely fragile roof in the middle of a Syracuse winter is a lot to take on. The people on this crew have my respect for even trying to pull this off.
exactly, every time the steel flies over existing roof, my heart is pounding. This is a heckuva of an engineering undertaking we are witnessing right before our eyes.

So it looks like they have that big piece seated in place now, though they probably have connections to make that will require Walt to hold it in place for a while longer.

Based on what they have ready to go at the pile on Irving Ave, I am guessing they put up another single on the other side of the arrowhead in the northwest corner, then use the big piece of top rail there to connect it to the top rail already up in that corner. When they do that, we can begin to see the bend in the top rail and really start to get an appreciate for how big it is going to be.

On the northeast corner, it is harder to speculate. We can't see what they have sitting around to provide clues. But I would guess they are soon going to do the same steps just done to the northwest arrowhead: add a support beam adjacent to it and use a big top rail piece to connect it to the arrowhead.

The corners diagonals each have three arrowheads. They started with the middle ones in the northwest and northeast corners and will build out on the sides from there.

My guess is that only the middle arrowheads in these corners will get the short piece of rail and that we will see the missing middle and left supports for the right side of the big piece of rail put up soon.

The shortest support tube is probably going on the side of the rail in the northwest corner towards the Barnes Center (east). The longer ones are probably destined for the other side of the top rail, as it starts to rise up dramatically behind the end zones.

maxresdefault.jpg

One more update: Skylar lifted a support beam on the northeast corner up top and appears to be holding it in place as it is being secured to the tension ring, next to the northeast arrowhead.

I think this means a big section of top rail is going to be put up in the northeast corner, connecting it to the short section over there. Looks like they are mimicking what was just done on the northwest corner.

do we think there will have to be a move of walt to reach the south side of dome?

do we think there will have to be a move of walt to reach the south side of dome?
My understanding is that Walt is going to stay where he is.

Skylar will moved from the northeast corner of the dome to the southeast corner of the dome once the northeast section is done.

Between those cranes and the smaller more mobile ones, they should have coverage of the whole perimeter.

I doubt if most people get just how unstable these pieces are until everything is tied together. To put a bit of context to it, remember that in high wind conditions the cranes are placed in their lowered "safe" positions, but those pieces are still up and not yet fully tied together.

I doubt if most people get just how unstable these pieces are until everything is tied together. To put a bit of context to it, remember that in high wind conditions the cranes are placed in their lowered "safe" positions, but those pieces are still up and not yet fully tied together.

So, you're implying that these pieces are 'highly unstable' because "everything" isn't tied together, yet? I don't know if that's the case here, especially with all the pertinent state regulations, OSHA requirements, etc. Look, I'm not saying there's not any risk in their current state, but those pieces are secured at the base ring and they are tied off as well by the rigged temporary steel bolted into the concrete...I think? The crane(s) are lowered because it's not only viable, but prudent, and, with their significantly greater independent height and weight, it would be considerably more risky and imprudent to leave up in high winds.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom