the crane the crane | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

The front corner has the same cross member.

71F80795-D42C-4058-8666-289DD3A273E5.jpeg

Now they just need to put up an upright and a cross section each day from both of the northern corners and they'll have one sideline done in no time.
Looking at the sketch, I bet it’s 3 to 4 uprights for each horizontal piece.

Each one of the rail pieces supported by the cylindrical columns is huge and fastened by what looks like
many, many, very large black nuts and bolts. I'd like to watch the crew fasten the columns to the rail - it must be very exacting, excellent work. The architects and engineers drew each piece of this and each piece was fabricated is now onsite and going up. Amazing.

Last edited:
Walt is in action right now.
Assume he is going to put that single support post on the other side of the northwest corner arrowhead, and use that piece of top rail sitting near Walt to connect the arrowhead to the post being put up now.

Then the same dance will happen with the northeast arrowhead. I saw Skylar move a piece of top rail to the storage area near Heroy this morning. I bet that piece goes up today too.

Assume he is going to put that single support post on the other side of the northwest corner arrowhead, and use that piece of top rail sitting near Walt to connect the arrowhead to the post being put up now.

Then the same dance will happen with the northeast arrowhead. I saw Skylar move a piece of top rail to the storage area near Heroy this morning. I bet that piece goes up today too.
Pace seems to be picking up. Pretty crafty how they strapped this new post towards one side so it tilts towards the install point.

Last edited:
Someone have a live camera link? I have the one from across the quad facing Hendricks, but is there another that’s closer? Thanks

Based on the pace this morning, looks like they're going to get more than one piece of steel up today
It looks like their strategy is to get the top rail for the whole north side of the stadium completed first. Then worry about the east, west and south sides. Makes sense. When they get the two sections in place connected, it has to make that part of the top rail more stable.

40 or 50 years from now they will have to replace the new roof. The complexity of this project has me wondering if they factored in any engineering challenges with that future decision. If they want to build a new hard roof in 2065 will they be able to remove the crown truss without causing a total collapse? Maybe at that point the Dome itself will need to be demolished for a new facility.

Most of us probably will not be alive to find out. :(

i've been thinking about the safety they must have as it relates to dropping a tool, or a bolt/nut from their working height. I know the current roof is strong, but I wonder how puncture resistant it is for sharp-ish falling objects.

Vegas had the initial over/under for number of pages deep for a thread about a crane at 1.5. They were way off on this one.

As the saying goes, 'you can't judge a book by its cover' the same applies here relative to the thread title. Hardly just 'talkin bout a crane' at this point, however, it's possible you still only see the cover. ;)

Last edited:
40 or 50 years from now they will have to replace the new roof. The complexity of this project has me wondering if they factored in any engineering challenges with that future decision. If they want to build a new hard roof in 2065 will they be able to remove the crown truss without causing a total collapse? Maybe at that point the Dome itself will need to be demolished for a new facility.

Most of us probably will not be alive to find out. :(

Gotta think it would be a new build at that time. But in my extremely limited knowledge, I don't think the crown truss would be affected by a new roof. Remove the hard roof and unhook it from the crown truss, put up the new roof and hook it in. Similar to how they are removing this current roof and putting up the hard roof after the crown truss is completed.

Gotta think it would be a new build at that time. But in my extremely limited knowledge, I don't think the crown truss would be affected by a new roof. Remove the hard roof and unhook it from the crown truss, put up the new roof and hook it in. Similar to how they are removing this current roof and putting up the hard roof after the crown truss is completed.
They aren't installing a hard roof.

I saw a long skinny, dark colored piece of steel get moved from the Heroy storage area to the holding area between the Barner Center and the dome a few minutes ago. It looked like the one I saw get stored in the Irving Ave storage area last week.

I bet Bees has a picture of it soon. Very interested to see what those long steel pieces will be used for.

Does the current schedule have any buffer for delays? Or are the delays baked into the schedule?