the crane the crane | Page 280 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I did think about this and it gave me pause. An elevator whose lowest level is at the top of a flight of stairs is a pretty useless elevator.

Unless it's an interior elevator, for access from near SU's locker room to the upper concourse? Maybe for coordinators to get to the football coaching boxes more easily?
I showed the pipes they installed inside the cage today.

Goggled HVAC piping and got this picture:

armaflex-pipe-insulation-lifestyle-40923-2.jpg

I think the piping is for AC.

If not for AC, maybe sewer lines for new bathrooms? I know they were planning on adding bathrooms to areas behind the east end zone but thought it was not on the table for the west end zone sections.

I know they would like to add an elevator for the coaches on both sides that sit in the booths up top in 301 and 302 so they would not have to watch through the crowd coming in and going out. If they do it, again, I would think it would make sense to have the doors near the coaching boxes, so the problem is better solved.

If the building is widened, and the existing concourses are extended and a concourse is built at the top of the 300 level, where the boxes are, that would be the way to fix this. It would address some ADA issues as well (and be good for aging Fine Lot tailgaters too).

They are really pre-loading roofing material along the base of the northwest side of the span. Also, the next crossbeam is going up on 5b!

I do have a question. Say we were going to have full crowds this season. I would assume a project of this magnitude would need to be inspected for safety before anyone could go in? How long does the inspection process usually take?

I do have a question. Say we were going to have full crowds this season. I would assume a project of this magnitude would need to be inspected for safety before anyone could go in? How long does the inspection process usually take?

Fans or not, if they plan on playing games in there, then I would hope the inspection process would be just the same.

Fans or not, if they plan on playing games in there, then I would hope the inspection process would be just the same.
[/QUOTE
Yes that occurred to me after I hit post but didn’t feel like editing

I’m sure as the project goes along their are inspections to make sure each step along the way meets specs.

The SW gap is finally getting addressed! Crane 5b is doing it. I think they put lights on the big piece before putting it up. Yay.

View attachment 186438
Just getting to the progress today - the SW side! 5b just lifted a steel beam into the middle section of this part of roof structure. Finally they are getting things on this side going towards completion. They are working from the west to the south almost parallel to Forestry to finish this section. I think the west section completed in white looks very good and believe the entire roof when completed will look GREAT!

Work has started on getting the roof put on the east side of the dome.

View attachment 186449

Meanwhile, crane 5b is doing good work advancing the western build towards the southern build. If they work on the weekend, I think thinking the gap might be closed by Monday of next week.

We have talked a little about the mysterious pipe cage being built next to Gate B It looks like it has been capped off now. Lots of welding going on as they work to complete it.

The question is, what is it?

My guess, given the location, is that it is a natural gas line that is being added to give the concession stands in this corner of the dome, on both the 100 and 300 levels, the ability to cook with natural gas (burgers maybe, definitely to run deep fryers for chicken tenders and fries).

It looks like this cage is being built to protect the gas line and ensure it does not get accidentally damaged. I think they capped it where they did because that was the height needed to gain access to the 300 level.

But I am not a construction guy and am probably wrong.

On a selfish level, it would be great to have more food options in this location. It is right about between where I sit for football and basketball. Much easier to get to than the concession stand in the NE corner where the old Burger King was. Probably easier for almost everyone who goes to basketball games too.

Hope it happens. Even if we have to wait until next September to use it.

View attachment 186450
It’s chilled water piping. It’s part of the prep getting ready for the a/c that sala has been talking about. There will be 2 pipes for each coil, a supply and a return.

It’s chilled water piping. It’s part of the prep getting ready for the a/c that sala has been talking about. There will be 2 pipes for each coil, a supply and a return.
Any word on whom is supplying the chillers? I have not seen anything about them yet.

So the Big "Chill"er is coming soon. ;)

A quick drive-by and throw an inspected sticker on the front door.

5b also worked late last night. Was putting steel up past 6 pm. They want that gap closed ASAP.

Any design/construction effort of this size will have resident engineering inspectors onsite whose job is to provide and document inspections throughout each phase of construction. Safe to say inspections have been occurring throughout the entire construction process.

It really is moving. The bottom third section of the next gap part is now about completed. They are moving along with laying down the roof in the northwest section and moving west towards the triangle very quickly. I can see them finishing that by the end of today.