the crane the crane | Page 282 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

From Naughty Pants...
View attachment 186493
Great picture. First really good look at what the roof looks like from the inside. Though if the Geiger drawings are to be believed, they will be installing a white fabric cover to cover the steel work. I would prefer to leave it as it is now. Minor quibble.

First time I have seen some lights installed. They look unobtrusive and cool. I really like the all white look.

The white dots on some of the cables that look almost like light bulbs are, I believe, being used to secure the safety net to the cables. I do not believe they are staying.

I have been wondering what the heck the cables looped around some of the arcs was. First, it looks like they are only on the arcs that run diagonally to the ‘normal’ arcs. One actually runs straight east to west and one straight north to south. I was initially thinking they had cabling for power and communications but if they did, why wouldn’t they run along a cable and just be straight cables? I think they might be rope light cables to make the arcs pop during night games. But that is just a guess.

What would be great is if this could allow the return of a curtain. That would improve the atmosphere a ton.
Maybe they could use a modified version of the curtain? One that starts at the height of the bottom of the center hung scoreboard and falls down to the floor.

It probably would have to go for big games where it would block the view for fans sitting on the opposite site of the scoreboard. But I like the idea. Also would like to be if is possible to dim the lights a bit that shine on the fans, but keep them bright on the playing field/court. The lack of sophistication in lighting has always hurt the atmosphere in the dome.

I would have to imagine that is a possiblity with the new lighting. I would imagine that a ton of possibilities are in play now with a cutting edge lighting system.

I would have to imagine that is a possiblity with the new lighting. I would imagine that a ton of possibilities are in play now with a cutting edge lighting system.
Sure hope so. Looking forward to seeing intros for night basketball games with a darkened arena and spotlights. That will be nice to finally see.

5b is still at it. The objective is to fill the gap on the SW corner so the insulation may begin. They accomplished quite a bit this afternoon. From the parking area off Forestry they were hoisting selected pieces of steel to fill the third level, (top level), as far right as the section goes and now it is accomplished.

With all the steel lying on Forestry and the parking area it seems there is enough steel to begin to close the open gap so we have a steel structure parallel to Forestry and then the insulation will be installed fully across that SW section.

Seems as though that sections manager, crew working up top receiving the steel from 5b are trying to cover as much ground as they can and finish this. Hoping they will work over the week end on this ad get it completed.

Maybe they could use a modified version of the curtain? One that starts at the height of the bottom of the center hung scoreboard and falls down to the floor.

It probably would have to go for big games where it would block the view for fans sitting on the opposite site of the scoreboard. But I like the idea. Also would like to be if is possible to dim the lights a bit that shine on the fans, but keep them bright on the playing field/court. The lack of sophistication in lighting has always hurt the atmosphere in the dome.

Since we'll be playing Football / Basketball / Lacrosse games every weekend this Winter/Spring, it's not practical.

Legacy, again tonight it looks like another Audrey Hepburn sunset. It really was beautiful last evening. I'm glad you are doing this. Some people are so busy or just do not see the wonderful colors and all the things present in a sunset, and in nature and you are providing to them what they do not ordinarily see so thank you.

5b is still at it. The objective is to fill the gap on the SW corner so the insulation may begin. They accomplished quite a bit this afternoon. From the parking area off Forestry they were hoisting selected pieces of steel to fill the third level, (top level), as far right as the section goes and now it is accomplished.

With all the steel lying on Forestry and the parking area it seems there is enough steel to begin to close the open gap so we have a steel structure parallel to Forestry and then the insulation will be installed fully across that SW section.

Seems as though that sections manager, crew working up top receiving the steel from 5b are trying to cover as much ground as they can and finish this. Hoping they will work over the week end on this ad get it completed.
5b did most of one section today. Two more full sections need to get done to bridge the gap. If she works Saturday and Sunday, maybe she can get it done. I think it more likely it will happen Monday. If she has the weekend off, it will be midweek at the earliest before it gets done.

Stopped by the site today. The Hendricks Field storage area is largely empty. Almost all the steel that was stored there is now up top. Those big wooden boxes are the big thing that remains. Pretty sure they are holding the PTFE fabric that will cover the arcs and complete the roof.

Here are some pics. There is still some steel there, presumably just enough to bridge the gap in the hard shell in the SW corner. The white top of the hard shell looks great in person. There is a stretch of I81 as your approach the city from the south where the highway points almost directly at the dome and you get a great view of the stadium. As you drive your car, you start out pointing at the west end of the stadium and the focus slowly drifts to the middle, then the east side of the building. It looks great and I think will excite generations of Syracuse fans as they approach Syracuse from the south in the future.

In the first picture, you can see that there are different types of panels. I think some are the dark brown and some are the light brown here.

BD325BF8-6AEF-4593-ACAC-C0DE14E1FCCC.jpeg
60D11711-7302-4FD5-918E-AC178FE7D8E5.jpeg
9D042196-2815-4F54-AAFA-E47C5A5B92BF.jpeg
C0493FEF-5018-4C3D-8AC1-D4F30E14C4F6.jpeg

My understanding is that this will happen. The new roof makes some things possible that simply could not be done with the old one. We will have rafters for the first time in a very very long time.
I sent an email to Wildhack months ago asking him to consider putting up three number 44’s instead of the one big 44. He was positive with his response. I felt each of the players should have their name on their own jersey.

It’s not whether it’s long but rather that it is hung well, is exciting, always scores!
More important that it doesn’t fall down during a ... ahem... game.

Its huge for the dimensions of the dome. Like a home theater it has to be in line with viewing distance and angles. Gong to be a huge wow factor as long as the content, video clips, other scores, replays and hype videos are what they need to be. It will be hard not to watch the scoreboard most of the game
Doesn't matter. They still won't show FG and PAT attempts on the board. ;)

I sent an email to Wildhack months ago asking him to consider putting up three number 44’s instead of the one big 44. He was positive with his response. I felt each of the players should have their name on their own jersey.
I have said this for years. All three of them have accolades that would warrant a jersey hanging regardless of the numeral.

looks like there are hard at work continuing the top layer of the roof in the northwest corner? also crane 5 b is continuing the steel to bridge the gap

Wouldn't you need 6 jerseys? I don't want to piss off the guy who swims with sharks.