the crane the crane | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

We didn’t choose per se but we did rank. They can’t rank preferences? Really? Wow.

I had good friends on law 20 but looking the other way
I was Lawrinson 2009, sophomore year. 1988-89. Corner room overlooking the Dome.

I was Lawrinson 2009, sophomore year. 1988-89. Corner room overlooking the Dome.
1208 my freshman year, followed by 2 years in a single (1206, I believe). Always overlooking The Orange Dome (yes, that’s my new name for it).

What's with all of the BBB hate? Had one of the best dining halls outside of Shaw and was the most modern dorm before Ernie Davis was constructed.

Looking forward to seeing this next week.
I even know someone that worked in that dining hall in the fall of 1980. ;)

I suspect that they are probably doing this to ensure diversity. Still though, that sucks. I knew 100% I did not want B&B for example. And I specifically chose dorms with more split doubles bc i wanted no part of an open double.
Wow, haven’t thought about my dorm selection process in forever but felt the same. Was early decision so think I had a leg up getting my first choice, which was a split double in Day. Second year I had the rare single in some upper floor of lawrinson but don’t remember which.

What's with all of the BBB hate? Had one of the best dining halls outside of Shaw and was the most modern dorm before Ernie Davis was constructed.

Looking forward to seeing this next week.

I've got no personal experience, but my sense was that people didn't like the location: (1) facing a climb up the hill, (2) pretty isolated from all their friends' dorms, and (3) shoulder-to-shoulder with Pioneer Homes.

I've got no personal experience, but my sense was that people didn't like the location: (1) facing a climb up the hill, (2) pretty isolated from all their friends' dorms, and (3) shoulder-to-shoulder with Pioneer Homes.

All of the above. It just felt like it was disconnected from pretty much all of the university. At least Sadler abutted the Dome, was near the gym, law school, and only a stone's throw from some other academic buildings. BB felt like there was nothing really abutting it and you had a decent walk to feel "on campus". Again there has been development since I graduated so not sure if this feeling is diff now

All of the above. It just felt like it was disconnected from pretty much all of the university. At least Sadler abutted the Dome, was near the gym, law school, and only a stone's throw from some other academic buildings. BB felt like there was nothing really abutting it and you had a decent walk to feel "on campus". Again there has been development since I graduated so not sure if this feeling is diff now

Yes, this.
I was in Lawrinson my first 2 years, and we sometimes went to BB for meals, just for a chance of pace.
Haven was our go-to for that, since it was all-female at that time.
BB always felt like it was out in the middle of nowhere, compared to the main campus.

Yes, this.
I was in Lawrinson my first 2 years, and we sometimes went to BB for meals, just for a chance of pace.
BB always felt like it was out in the middle of nowhere, compared to the main campus.

Gotcha. Yeah I lived in Haven for 2 years so def not all female late 90s... RIP Haven Dining Hall ...

The hill gave you a workout and sucked especially when it was icy outside.

The isolation is a big factor, but the same could be said for South Campus' Skyhall which is why the University is making an effort to shut them down altogether.

Legitimate gripes, but I liked BBB. Brew 5 (2006-07).

*Fixed the year.

Last edited:
The hill gave you a workout and sucked especially when it was icy outside.

The isolation is a big factor, but the same could be said for South Campus' Skyhall which is why the University is making an effort to shut them down altogether.

Legitimate gripes, but I liked BBB. Brew 5 (2006-08).

Skyhall sounded like a special kind of cruelty back when they were sticking transfers there. 'Welcome to SU, have a miserable time!'

I'd pick BBB over that place 100 times out of 100.

My goal was always to be as close to campus as possible. Sadler, Haven, Watson was my dorm path. Watson's location was stellar but damn that dorm had zero atmosphere.

I did Flint, Day, then off campus. #3 from prior post was the biggest issue with BBB from my time (93-97). I was lucky enough to score a corner single in Day soph year. It was awesome and worth the 100+ steps multiple times a day! Good times.

I did Flint, Day, then off campus. #3 from prior post was the biggest issue with BBB from my time (93-97). I was lucky enough to score a corner single in Day soph year. It was awesome and worth the 100+ steps multiple times a day! Good times.

Yeah I never lived off campus but spend much of my junior year crashing with friends who did. I had a bizarro financial aid setup where it actually was far easier financially to just stay on campus than move off.

Anyway, back to the crane...

Last edited:
Yes, this.
we used to go to Haven for same reason. It was an adventure whenever we left Graham dining hall.

Goodyear Hall!

Oh wait I went to UB

I was Sadler 1 (87-88), Flint 3C (88-89) and Ackerman Ave (89-91). Sadler 1 was awesome. I faced Hendricks field. An errant soccer ball broke our window and it took the. A few months to fix it, so we could go in and out of our window to play. They were forced to fix it after someone got cut., smh. Flint had a good atmosphere but the steps get old. But, they dropped me right by Archbold, which was helpful for my ROTC stuff.

The crane is currently lifting another crane. Very meta.
Annotation 2019-09-06 145344.png

Last edited: