the crane the crane | Page 285 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

looks to be 3 bigger pieces of steel and 3 smaller pieces of steel left for crane 5 b to complete

Absolutely.

Just stating that doing it separate from the massive roof project is probably a good thing and its cosmetic not load bearing or structural. We might be more willing to get paneling that's $10/sq ft vs $4/sq ft in a couple years once the roof is done and if things are back to normal. The exterior skin of the dome has to be about 500,000 sq ft.

They could make the Dome look really cool.

Just have Earl Scheib give it the ol’ $99 special. :p

It would be sweet if they finished the steel up this week . It would show they follow this thread since this thread will be one year old this week and started out talking about the cranes just sitting around. . Seriously though they have come a long way in the time this thread started

I don't know what is more astonishing; all of those great pics of those stunning sunsets, or the fact that there have been so many of them viewable during the duration of this project, along with numerous gorgeous sunny days to boot? According to the present view of the cam shot, it again appears to be just a wash, rinse & repeat of another sunny/gorgeous day in the 'Cuse. :)

This is the sunniest summer I can remember, it's been bizarre.

This is the sunniest summer I can remember, it's been bizarre.
That's because everything's moving north. The average Upstate summer is going to look a lot like inland Virginia.

Absolutely.

Just stating that doing it separate from the massive roof project is probably a good thing and its cosmetic not load bearing or structural. We might be more willing to get paneling that's $10/sq ft vs $4/sq ft in a couple years once the roof is done and if things are back to normal. The exterior skin of the dome has to be about 500,000 sq ft.

They could make the Dome look really cool.
In order to keep the Dome open through basketball tey had to break the project into smaller parts. Actually it is fortuitous for SU as they can delay Phase 2 for a couple years to recover from the pandemic. I don't want them to delay it but it is an option to keep the school in good fiscal shape. I wouldn't be surprised to see attendance drop nationally across the board over the next few years. This will allow SU to assess the final capacity number out of Phase 2.

7B08C925-7988-4B9E-9F0A-3D136FA90303.jpeg

In order to keep the Dome open through basketball tey had to break the project into smaller parts. Actually it is fortuitous for SU as they can delay Phase 2 for a couple years to recover from the pandemic. I don't want them to delay it but it is an option to keep the school in good fiscal shape. I wouldn't be surprised to see attendance drop nationally across the board over the next few years. This will allow SU to assess the final capacity number out of Phase 2.
The University would be smart to continue with phase 2 ASAP. Interest rates may never be lower than they are now. It could save millions of dollars on a cost of a project this large.

Morning update:

Crane 5b had a good weekend and the SW gap has almost been closed. Still some bars to play but the last big girder was put in place earlier this morning and the rest of the steel looks like it will be in place by the end of the day.

A lot of good work was done on the east and north sides of the hard shell roof as well this weekend.

It looks like many it is easier to install the corrugated steel and grey tarp than get the insulation and white exterior layer in place, as there are many sections that are past that phase but have not gone beyond.

Surely a big issue here is that there is exposure when putting the insulation down. If it rains (or even is really windy), there could be big issues. As it happens, it did rain almost immediately after they started putting on insulation in the SW corner. They probably want to limit exposure and stay with one or two core crews to put the final touches on the remaining sections.

I think I said earlier there are 96 sections in the hard shell. Based on what I can see (see the screen capture from Link), they are well over half done with the first layer. Looks like they have close to 1.5 of the 4 builds completely finished with the white final layer.

I think this is the start of 5 week of the 6 week period allocated for building the roof.

082420.jpg

I think that they added some mysterious white packages on top of the hard shell, near where it borders the yet to be started PTFE middle section. Not sure what they are. They look too big to be insulation boxes and I don't know why they would have insulation boxes here since they are done with that phase.

So maybe this might be the first appearance of the PTFE material that will eventually used to cover the arcs? Now that they have part of the hard shell finished, they might want to get started on the PTFE section and work concurrently.

The University would be smart to continue with phase 2 ASAP. Interest rates may never be lower than they are now. It could save millions of dollars on a cost of a project this large.
Great point hopefully SU can swing it without delay

BTW, I just locked on a 2.375% 30 yr note

Beats my first mortgage ever at 10.625% by just a tad