the crane the crane | Page 314 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Oh my god, the turf burn from the Dome, Coyne and RFA was brutal... I couldn’t imagine being a DI player playing 7 games a year on it.

my first two years at St. John Fisher we still had the old turf too and practiced on it daily... just brutal.
We used to do ROTC PT on the old carpet. We were playing soccer one morning and one of the more "motivated" under class cadets did a slide tackle at full speed, in PT shorts. As he was doing it (in seemingly slow motion) I was thinking, "here is a complete moron". Tore up the whole side of his leg, moron.

Morning update:

Wanted to get some clues as to what to look for regarding the arrival of the field turf, so I looked for video of the last field turf install at the dome. Found it.

So at least in 2015, it came rolled up like the carpet it is, in white bags.

Here is a still from the video with a bunch of the turf still in the bags:

View attachment 188098

Got this screen capture a few minutes ago:

View attachment 188099

So they have turf inside.
Keep that inside picture for a side by side comparison when this is all done.

My son took this in the way back from class tonightView attachment 188078
He needs to move a couple inches...he sucks at photography

Tell him to enter his picture at CNYCentral and WSYR...I bet he would win

Sad story of the sudden emasculation of the football team :rolleyes:

Oh my god, the turf burn from the Dome, Coyne and RFA was brutal... I couldn’t imagine being a DI player playing 7 games a year on it.

my first two years at St. John Fisher we still had the old turf too and practiced on it daily... just brutal.
St. John Fisher Represent! Alum here as well

Ugh, I think I played on that turf in the early 90s (for Hobart) but I remember Union's being even worse. My shoulder still hurts!

I'm sure this has been discussed and I just don't remember, but was consideration given to a complete hard roof and, if so, why did SU opt for this hybrid? :confused:
My best guess is weight. The original shell was not built to support such a high weight. You even see we needed reinforcements ‘x braces’ around the corner walls just for the current incarnation.

Between lack of space for additional build out, larger time commitment and huge amount of extra cost to redo the outside walls, I bet it didn’t make sense for several reasons.

I think this is also the reason we will see the extensions of concourse space in targeted areas, starting with the connecting concourse to Arch that I think is scheduled for phase 2

Last edited:
If one were to bring an old tattered bed sheet with them to their next tailgate and place it on the asphalt, you would have a softer playing surface than some of the old turf fields.

FIFY.

Those old “turf” fields were effectively just concrete painted green. :confused:

Took all morning because of some rain, but the 2 corner half panels are done. Just one left diagonally to the back of it.

4EDBA2A6-ED0C-4197-AE99-8E6E51E50264.jpeg
A7A77579-D976-428E-B334-8A872E61DC4F.jpeg
02ADCF9C-5E22-467B-8AFB-516115694267.jpeg

I can still remember it as well. I was only with the team for one Spring, but O’Leary’s drills on the turf were quite memorable.