The crowd, the injuries, and Darton… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The crowd, the injuries, and Darton…

The guy is from Fitchburg, Mass. A tough, hard-working, blue-collar town in central Mass not far from the NH border. I lived there for a brief time. The city had grit and character. That describes Darton, tough, blue-collar, hard-working, gritty, overachiever. I love the guy.
Real lunch pail guy.

What does SU do with the 300 level above the tunnel the team comes out of as it was pretty bare? Is that for extra students?

Darton has been a wonderful surprise and as for injuries, the depth has saved this team. Having 2nd/3rd and heck 4th string talent is a very nice thing.

Sorry if I missed it elsewhere but did I see Linton get injured today as well? Like an arm injury? Anyone know?
I didn't seem to notice Linton out there that much. Wondered too if he got banged up.

High School: Defensive tackle and fullback for four seasons, including his last two at Worcester Academy for head coach Tony Johnson ... Spent his first two prep seasons at St. Peter-Marian High School ... 2018 New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) Lineman of the Year and named to the Class A All-NEPSAC Football Team ... 2018 CML Division co-Defensive Player of the Year ... Recorded 72 tackles and 10.5 sacks as a senior captain for the Hilltoppers ... Two-time Worcester Academy MVP ... Selected to play in the 2015 DMAXX All-American Game as a freshman at St. Peter-Marian.

My guess his size definitely kept him under recruited

Defo his height kept him under recruited. Lord knows we've heard about our undersized d line from every opposing P5 fan base this year. Kevon is listed at 5'11 and unless he's grown since I met him couple years ago that might even be generous. Was also asked to play heavier last year presumably for goal line sets? The 30 lbs he's lost is why he can go HAM for 40+ plays now.

I said it preseason as well but great kid and great family.

Real lunch pail guy.
I worked at Worcester Academy and remember when Kevon Darton signed on as a preferred walk on. Saw him in the dining hall and asked him about his recruiting trip to Syracuse. He loved Dino and it was when we were coming off the 2018 season. So awesome time to be a prospective player. He thought they were building something special and it was worth the risk to be a walk on. He told me the coaches were really honest. Very Happy for him as he worked really hard at WA. We did not have the best teams when he was here and that could have hurt him with recruiting. His size and maybe speed were also likely a factor. Honestly, I did not think he would see the field but respected his willingness to take the risk. Plus hard not to get excited when you are a diehard cuse fan when students are going to your alma mater. Great kid.

I presume that the recruiting sites will say that NCST has had better classes than us for 4 years, but we looked every bit the equal out there. And with Leary out, no difference makers on their O. Our big 3 were the difference.

On Darton, read this:

This article is fantastic analysis btw. Would love to see this kind of breakdown of our team after our games.

The crowd was spectacular. Probably 45ish actuals, but they did not take a play off. It was loud all the time. Probably helped stop at least 2 drives and literally caused a fumble. Just well done.

Really concerned about the injuries piling up. We finished the game with 4 guys on defense who started against Louisville. Four!

One of those guys was Darton. Dude needs his own fan club. He took an ungodly number of snaps and made some big plays especially early in the game. Not bad for a walk on. He literally is the only legit run stuffer we have.
It's hard to tell how loud it is on TV but Hasselbeck said deafening more than once, and he doesn't seem to be one for hyperbole. I think there's still some meat on the bone there too. A number of times when they showed a close up of the crowd during a critical play when we were on defense, I saw people standing but not yelling or clapping.

There aren't too many 5-11 defensive tackles playing in the P5. That's what caused Darton to be underrecruited, but he gambled on himself and it paid off.

He was also very athletic despite being short / stocky. I remember one of his clips from HS when we recruited him, Darton [all 290 pounds of him] did a standing back flip. Pretty impressive.

It's unbelievable to me that a kid who is 5-11 267 pounds is standing up at the point of attack against OL who are easily 5 inches and 30 pounds heavier.

He was a high potential "get" as a walk on, and has outshot what anybody could have hoped for from a productivity standpoint by a factor of 10. Easily.

There aren't too many 5-11 defensive tackles playing in the P5. That's what caused Darton to be underrecruited, but he gambled on himself and it paid off.

He was also very athletic despite being short / stocky. I remember one of his clips from HS when we recruited him, Darton [all 290 pounds of him] did a standing back flip. Pretty impressive.

It's unbelievable to me that a kid who is 5-11 267 pounds is standing up at the point of attack against OL who are easily 5 inches and 30 pounds heavier.

He was a high potential "get" as a walk on, and has outshot what anybody could have hoped for from a productivity standpoint by a factor of 10. Easily.
They say low man wins, right? I guess we just won't see him batting many passes down at the LOS.

Best renaming of a stadium: JMA Wireless Dome

After years of frigid performances at the Carrier Dome, Syracuse changed the name of its home stadium, and in doing so, changed its fortunes. The Orange thumped NC State 24-9 at the now-JMA Wireless Dome on Saturday, moving to 6-0 for the first time since 1987. Coincidentally, JMA Wireless is also the only company that will provide service for Jim Boeheim's brick Motorola mobile he first bought in 1987 and still uses. Time is a flat circle.

Just rewatched the game. Wow -- just as exciting the second time! Two more things that deserve to be noted on top of Jake's original post.

Johnson (Dartmouth transfer) played well in relief of Williams, after he got injured. I'm not saying he's as good as Williams, but he's another sign of the improved depth, and a likely starter next year. I think he got flagged late for a pass interference, with like 15 seconds left to go in the game, but he had to step into some big shoes and played well.

Second, it's insane that we only got the ball two times in the second half. I've never seen anything like that. Capitalized both times with TDs.

And what the heck, two more quick observations. First of all, I thought the announcers sucked. That guy ranting and raving after Tucker scored the last touchdown about how he should have run the clock out...

Secondly, the officiating was shockingly bad. I can't believe how many missed calls there were, for both teams. Abysmal.

Last edited:
What does SU do with the 300 level above the tunnel the team comes out of as it was pretty bare? Is that for extra students?

Darton has been a wonderful surprise and as for injuries, the depth has saved this team. Having 2nd/3rd and heck 4th string talent is a very nice thing.
That 300 section is for student overflow. It was not filled due to parent's weekend, most likely.

Just rewatched the game. Wow -- just as exciting the second time! Two more things that deserve to be noted on top of Jake's original post.

Johnson (Dartmouth transfer) played well in relief of Williams, after he got injured. I'm not saying he's as good as Williams, but he's another sign of the improved depth, and a likely starter next year. I think he got flagged late for a pass interference, with like 15 seconds left to go in the game, but he had to step into some big shoes and played well.

Second, it's insane that we only got the ball two times in the second half. I've never seen anything like that. Capitalized both times with TDs.

And what the heck, two more quick observations. First of all, I thought the announcers sucked. That guy ranting and raving after Tucker scored the last touchdown about how he should have run the clock out...

Secondly, the officiating was shockingly bad. I can't believe how many missed calls there were, for both teams. Abysmal.
Johnson looked good. I liked his tackling too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom