The defense | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The defense

We looked like crap in the first half when we were scoring. It was even or close. Ward is terrible. There is no excuse for the defense with the talent we have none. It’s on dc move on from him immediately.
Please look at the date of my post. Its from 2 weeks ago. This is why it's stupid for people to bump threads like this. What I said was accurate at the time. I completely agree with you about today.

Please look at the date of my post. Its from 2 weeks ago. This is why it's stupid for people to bump threads like this. What I said was accurate at the time. I completely agree with you about today.

Disagree - the defense has sucked this year, with brief glimpses of competence.

Disagree - the defense has sucked this year, with brief glimpses of competence.
With the exception of Maryland and BC the defense has played good enough to win with an offense close to as good as last year's. Does good enough mean really good? No. But consistently throughout this year the offense has been the bigger problem.

Last edited:
Lets see about that stout defense. Got obliterated by Maryland, Florida State and Boston College. Three weeks in a row, got beat by the same trick play. Two weeks in a row, got steamrolled by good running backs. Are among the top five WORST teams for giving up huge chunk plays and that was before the 2nd quarter of todays game where they gave up 4 plays of over 50 yards. Ward is horrible and the defense is undisciplined and can't tackle or defend the pass.
Ffs I posted this weeks ago before theirs damn game would people stop quoting out of context. Thank you.

Ffs I posted this weeks ago before theirs damn game would people stop quoting out of context. Thank you.

So overall, what are your thoughts on the play of the defense so far this year?

So overall, what are your thoughts on the play of the defense so far this year?
Up and down at the start that had turned into a dumpster fire. Our first round DE is playing to not get hurt. LBers can’t get off blocks, Foster keeps his eyes on RB and gets killed on the play fake no stop. Secondary is banged but inconsistent. Who the heck would think Berry would be leading the team in sacks.
I will say the DL has played better with Elmore in the mix.
Way to much work to do this off season on what should have been our best unit this year.

Sorry didn’t see that

With the exception of Maryland and BC the defense has played good enough to win with an offense close to as good as last year's. Doea good enough mean really good? No. But consistently throughout this year the offense has been the bigger problem.

Given the opponents the D was really bad the first halves vs NC State and Pitt but then played great 2nd halves. They play a full game we win both. FSU’s O looked good and they aren’t functional vs anyone else. The D stinks. 40 ppg vs P5 worst in the country.

Defensive Yards Per Play in the Dino/Ward era:

2016: 7.1 126th
2017: 6.5 117th
2018: 5.7 77th
2019: 6.4 105th

Changes must be made.

Given the opponents the D was really bad the first halves vs NC State and Pitt but then played great 2nd halves. They play a full game we win both. FSU’s O looked good and they aren’t functional vs anyone else. The D stinks. 40 ppg vs P5 worst in the country.
You're right. But it is also true that if the offense is decent we win both. If you have to say one has been worse than the other, are you saying it has been the defense?

You're right. But it is also true that if the offense is decent we win both. If you have to say one has been worse than the other, are you saying it has been the defense?

yes, but not by much

Really? We lead the country in sacks allowed and are 122 in yards per carry. Our defense is 84 in points per play allowed and the offense is 115 in points per play. They both suck but I think the offense is worse.

I'm not going to defend the play of the offense this season, as I feel they've performed very poorly overall. But it's odd to me that the offense has been the focal point of the fans' criticism for almost all of the season. How many people called out the defense before the FSU game? It's not as if they played well prior to that point.

I'm not going to defend the play of the offense this season, as I feel they've performed very poorly overall. But it's odd to me that the offense has been the focal point of the fans' criticism for almost all of the season. How many people called out the defense before the FSU game? It's not as if they played well prior to that point.
As I've said previously there were games earlier in the season that they played adequately for long stretches and then looked gassed toward the end because the offense couldn't stay on the field to give them a break. There was a stat mentioned a few games ago that 40% of our offensive drives were ending in 3 and out. If that doesn't wear on a defense, I don't know what does. I'm not saying the defense has been great at any point, and they certainly have stunk up a few games, but there have been games where they were adequate, if we had any semblance of offense.

As I've said previously there were games earlier in the season that they played adequately for long stretches and then looked gassed toward the end because the offense couldn't stay on the field to give them a break. There was a stat mentioned a few games ago that 40% of our offensive drives were ending in 3 and out. If that doesn't wear on a defense, I don't know what does. I'm not saying the defense has been great at any point, and they certainly have stunk up a few games, but there have been games where they were adequate, if we had any semblance of offense.

which games?

Plenty of blame to go around, no doubt. But I think the offense's role in this meltdown is significant. When they turn in numerous 3 and outs faster than anyone else (remember, Orange is the new fast), the defense is asked to do even more with no chance to rest. The play-calling shows no imagination and our personnel has regressed this season.

We basically have 4 plays: HB runs between the tackles with no added FB or TE to help the line, bubble screen, pass along the sidelines (which act as another defender) or the jet sweep. Oh and the QB draw on 3rd and goal. We are the easiest offense to scout.

I think a lot of that is due to the promise (literally and figuratively) from Dino that we were going to be an offensive team. It's hard to have a great D in today's game and though the D has been awful I think people are less peeved about it because HCDB's specialty is offense and the fact that it is dreadful irks more than our atrocious D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom