The details of Rene / Spruill | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The details of Rene / Spruill

Doesn't have to stand up in the court of Marrone.

Of course not. But that's neither here nor there; he was just talking about a hypothetical situation, I think.

I'll defer to Marrone on all these player personnel decisions; he'll always know more than I do about the particulars of each situation. I'd just rather everyone take the Post-Standard story and excerpts from the police report with a grain of salt and not condemn the kids.

I'd also rather Spruill not mention any of this on Twitter or elsewhere in the public eye. Nothing good can come from that. And the last thing one should want after getting arrested should be to appear flip and/or defensive. Discretion is his friend.

Well, they can. But language isn't "conduct" and it wouldn't stand up in court.

i doubt there's much intent for it to stand up in court. It's a violation. $50 fine pay at the window. Its just a simple way for them to jerk you around.

it doesn't add up that spruill 'engaged in a physical confrontation' with a cop yet only gets harassement charge.

§ 240.26 Harassment in the second degree.
A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person: 1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other
person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or
2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places; or
3. He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts
which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no
legitimate purpose.
Subdivisions two and three of this section shall not apply to
activities regulated by the national labor relations act, as amended,
the railway labor act, as amended, or the federal employment labor
management act, as amended.
Harassment in the second degree is a violation.

i doubt there's much intent for it to stand up in court. It's a violation. $50 fine pay at the window. Its just a simple way for them to jerk you around.

it doesn't add up that spruill 'engaged in a physical confrontation' with a cop yet only gets harassement charge.

§ 240.26 Harassment in the second degree.
A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person: 1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other
person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or
2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places; or
3. He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts
which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no
legitimate purpose.
Subdivisions two and three of this section shall not apply to
activities regulated by the national labor relations act, as amended,
the railway labor act, as amended, or the federal employment labor
management act, as amended.
Harassment in the second degree is a violation.

Yes, that's true, and it's important for everyone to know about that.

This is a two way street. Im sure that Spruil is a good kid and i bet Rene is as well. Even if he cant return a punt to save his life:) That all aside these guys should and do know that everytime they go out they are a target. Stupid on their part at best dont want to go beyond that. Having said that i believe that the police in todays world are a different breed and not a group that i hope to come in contract with. Lets think about this. Give a guy with minimal education 20.00 an hour and a gun... Gee i wonder if that is a good idea or not. Anyway i have an uncle who was a state trooper in VA actually Newport news for 25 years. He is without a doubt one of the toughest guys who will ever meet. Sweet as pie but tough and the stories he has told me leave me to believe that every time a police officer encounters a situation they need to know that it could be their last. So two way street. The bottom line is that Rene and Spruil put themselves in a bad situation. Regardless of the outcome they are first and foremost to blame. I think that it will work out for both but lets give the cops some leeway as they are the ones at risk.

Lets think about this. Give a guy with minimal education 20.00 an hour and a gun... Gee i wonder if that is a good idea or not.

Wow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Wow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Wow what? Do have any idea what the criteria is for being a police officer? How much they get paid? I do and it is pretty scary depending on what part of the country you are in.

If the cops didn't want Rene to run they should have kicked him a football.
You may have set the record for most 'likes' for one post on here.

Wow what? Do have any idea what the criteria is for being a police officer? How much they get paid? I do and it is pretty scary depending on what part of the country you are in.

I know what the minimum requirement is for NY because that is what we're talking about. The minimum requirement is a joke but I don't think you grasp the hiring system. Police officers are required to take civil service exams which test your mental aptitude and really doesn't ask anything about police knowledge. With hiring the way it is your not sniffing a police job with a score under an 85 maybe a 90 so these officers that are being hired are not idiots regardless what the minimum requirement is. It really is bothersome how some people view police officers without not having a full knowledge of anything about them or what they go through on a daily basis.

I know what the minimum requirement is for NY because that is what we're talking about. The minimum requirement is a joke but I don't think you grasp the hiring system. Police officers are required to take civil service exams which test your mental aptitude and really doesn't ask anything about police knowledge. With hiring the way it is your not sniffing a police job with a score under an 85 maybe a 90 so these officers that are being hired are not idiots regardless what the minimum requirement is. It really is bothersome how some people view police officers without not having a full knowledge of anything about them or what they go through on a daily basis.
I know most police officers are good guys that want to help their communities, and I know it's a very difficult job. There are also quite a few that want a job with good benefits and a chance to crack some skulls with impunity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I know most police officers are good guys that want to help their communities, and I know it's a very difficult job. There are also quite a few that want a job with good benefits and a chance to crack some skulls with impunity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Speaking of benefits, its sickening the fraud that many public service employees perpetuate by racking up overtime in the few years before retirement. Sure, technically maybe its not fraud, but its a joke to think someone can get paid more in retirement _ some of who become eligible in their 40s - than what they made for the vast majority of their careers. These fraudulent payments come via taxes paid on a state or local level mostly from citizens in the private sector who don't even have pension/defined benefit plans, let alone lifetime healthcare benefits. There should be outrage at some of these antics, especially from the anti-tax crowd, but who is going to rally against cops and firefighters.

@DOsports: In NYC today, HC Doug Marrone said Marquis Spruill and Steve Rene are currently eligible to play in the Pinstripe Bowl.
https://twitter.com/DOsports/status/276379513473101824
Here's the full article:

http://dailyorange.com/2012/12/marr...pruill-currently-eligible-for-pinstripe-bowl/

“Just like for all our players, you have to earn that right and keep going in the right direction and we’ll handle things internally,” Marrone said. “Up until the point, we expect our players to act in a proper fashion and with the expectations of our school because we represent Syracuse University. We’re disappointed in what has occurred.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom