The details of Rene / Spruill | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The details of Rene / Spruill

Is it just me or does all the detail in yesterday's story just seem weird? Reading it almost felt like the cops are doing some pre-emptive damage control. How/why is there so much detail, the following day after a late night incident. I’ve never read a post standard article like this before. Seemed strange.

They mention the dog hitting Rene in the back with its muzzle - and also the fall on the curb – why? Gonna be some marks?

Weird that the article even refers to the dog by name.

The German shepherd Beny, which was muzzled during the entire incident, struck in the middle of Rene's back with its muzzle to get him to free his arm from under his body so he could be handcuffed, police said.

I say give Marquis an SEC suspension... he has to sit out the first drive.

Like I said, I am going by the reported police report. If you want to say the PS or the cops are lying, knock yourself out. Therefore you must think there is a chance Spruill didn't grab a cop or continue to be out of control in the van. That can be your opinion. Mine is it miust have happened. If it didn't, I guess some cops will be going to jail for false reporting.

Also nice that you qualify a timeframe for kids being kicked off for indiscretions.

Bees, you can't really believe that police don't file false reports (or that every cop who files a false report goes to jail).

Bees, you can't really believe that police don't file false reports (or that every cop who files a false report goes to jail).

Oh, no doubt they do although I also have no doubt it is very very rare. That's is why I also said, if that was the case, then some cops should go to jail.

Oh, no doubt they do although I also have no doubt it is very very rare. That's is why I also said, if that was the case, then some cops should go to jail.

I agree with you - officers who do that sort of thing should be punished in some way (maybe with jail time). In practice, criminal punishment for lying officers is far more rare than incidents in which officers lie.

Is it just me or does all the detail in yesterday's story just seem weird? Reading it almost felt like the cops are doing some pre-emptive damage control. How/why is there so much detail, the following day after a late night incident. I’ve never read a post standard article like this before. Seemed strange.

They mention the dog hitting Rene in the back with its muzzle - and also the fall on the curb – why? Gonna be some marks?

Weird that the article even refers to the dog by name.

The German shepherd Beny, which was muzzled during the entire incident, struck in the middle of Rene's back with its muzzle to get him to free his arm from under his body so he could be handcuffed, police said.

The detail is nice, don't mind it at all. Having read similar police reports, it does sound like an odd sequence of events that could be put together to explain away a suspect's injuries. This type of thing is not that rare.

I agree with you - officers who do that sort of thing should be punished in some way (maybe with jail time). In practice, criminal punishment for lying officers is far more rare than incidents in which officers lie.

False reports, IMO, are so rare though that when a person reads in an article what is being reported by the police, the tendancy is to believe it not to assume it is a lie or made up.

The detail is nice, don't mind it at all. Having read similar police reports, it does sound like an odd sequence of events that could be put together to explain away a suspect's injuries. This type of thing is not that rare.

The proof in the pudding will be, did they really use a dog to get it under control. If they did, then it would appear they were pretty much out of control. Rare is a police dog needed to restrain someone.

The proof in the pudding will be, did they really use a dog to get it under control. If they did, then it would appear they were pretty much out of control. Rare is a police dog needed to restrain someone.

Yeah that will prove everything because police never use excessive force.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Being a military police officer and also work in a police compacity in Washington DC I have alot of experience with these situations. You guys should look up the stats for how many officers die in the line of duty each year or are severely injured. In these situations alot of factors go into it those officers are wearing different types of weapons and there is a good bet that spuril was twice the size of each of them. Officers have and need officer awareness they don't know someone's intention or state of mind with dealing with these situations and complacency can get you killed. It's is easy to look at these situations subjectively when it is not your life at risk trying to keep you guys safe. If spuril cam up behind him and put his hands on an officer then he should have been face down on the pavement immidiately and secured. It disgusts me some of the views that people have towards police officers and the broad generalization these are the people keeping you safe and protecting you a police officer isn't going to just go beat up some completely innocent person.

Jackholes. Wait, I thought this didn't happen to Marrone guys, especially those in the character program? Kidding, but seriously, this stuff is embarrassing. Rene sounds like George from the Seinfeld episode where they were calling him Coco.

Being a military police officer and also work in a police compacity in Washington DC I have alot of experience with these situations. You guys should look up the stats for how many officers die in the line of duty each year or are severely injured. In these situations alot of factors go into it those officers are wearing different types of weapons and there is a good bet that spuril was twice the size of each of them. Officers have and need officer awareness they don't know someone's intention or state of mind with dealing with these situations and complacency can get you killed. It's is easy to look at these situations subjectively when it is not your life at risk trying to keep you guys safe. If spuril cam up behind him and put his hands on an officer then he should have been face down on the pavement immidiately and secured. It disgusts me some of the views that people have towards police officers and the broad generalization these are the people keeping you safe and protecting you a police officer isn't going to just go beat up some completely innocent person.

You know that that is not true. (And an officer in the DMV should be especially familiar with that - the brutality inflicted by cops in Prince George's County is common knowledge and has been covered extensively by the local press. MPD has a similar history.)

No one's generalizing. There are good cops and there are bad cops, just like there are good employees and bad employees in every profession. They aren't deities. They are people who choose to do an often-dangerous job and they are remunerated for it. Because their profession is dangerous and some of their colleagues are killed on the job does not mean that they do not make mistakes or should not be questioned; that isn't in any way germane to this incident.

Some of us who don't subscribe to the "police officers are always right" and the "police reports are Gospel" line of thinking would like to calm down and wait to hear how this plays out before jumping to any rash conclusions or stating exactly how severely these two students ought to be punished.

We don't have these views for no reason, or because we think its cool to say F the police. Yes, many police officers do alot of good, are hard working and moral, but on the flip side alot of them are egotistical jackasses who get off on a power trip and im sorry but that's the truth.

I've actually seen a drunken guy with his boys in the club go and hit on someone's girl, when the boyfriend and his friends came over and confronted him, the drunken guy pushed him and escalated the situation, the boyfriend of the girl being hit on by the drunken guy pushed him back, got in his face and at that moment the drunken guy pulled out his badge and said "you wanna f*** with some cops?". I've seen cops on power trips enough to lose respect for the shield.

Maybe you think its cool to lecture someone for 5 minutes for going 10 miles over the speed limit when the only reason you pulled them over is to meet your quota, but I call it a joke. Like I have said earlier in this post, NYPD, mad respect for what they do. They get paid dog**** and do 10x the work of the suburban cops on LI. Ask me how I can respect a cop who comes into my job offering PBA cards for discounts? Yea ok.

You know that that is not true. (And an officer in the DMV should be especially familiar with that - the brutality inflicted by cops in Prince George's County is common knowledge and has been covered extensively by the local press. MPD has a similar history.)

No one's generalizing. There are good cops and there are bad cops, just like there are good employees and bad employees in every profession. They aren't deities. They are people who choose to do an often-dangerous job and they are remunerated for it. Because their profession is dangerous and some of their colleagues are killed on the job does not mean that they do not make mistakes or should not be questioned; that isn't in any way germane to this incident.

Some of us who don't subscribe to the "police officers are always right" and the "police reports are Gospel" line of thinking would like to calm down and wait to hear how this plays out before jumping to any rash conclusions or stating exactly how severely these two students ought to be punished.

I have no idea what happened but absolutely agree with the 'cops are deity' notion. That said, I think it's a really tough job in this day and age -- you have to protect yourself and often that means erring on the side of being too physical as opposed to a more measured approach. If Rene's all hopped up and screaming in the street like someone in a Tupac video and his buddies are all 6-3 linebackers, I'm doing whatever I think is necessary as the arresting officer. Or, at least I understand that mindset. Really tough situation and the lesson, as always, is don't get yourself in a spot where a paddy wagon is coming after you in the middle of the night.

That was my point. He got it easy. Hang on certain street corners in Syracuse and wait for someone to even touch a cop.

We'll see if Marrone is consistent. Lesser offenses, not even illegal, has gotten kids booted.

Who's gotten booted for the first time they got in trouble?

I worked with Montgomery police department I was stationed in Bethesda. Again you will never understand because its not your life at risk. You will never understand what is going through an officers mind in these situations it's fight or flight in this situation what if while spurill was behind the officer he grabbed his gun? Now he is armed and the officer is defencless these are the situations the happen and officers face every day. Bottom line officer safety comes first I'm going home to my wife and kids at the end of the day. Had exsessive force happened is every police officer always in the right?? No of course not but you guys judge these things not having any idea what these situations are like or what is at risk. This isn't an office job where if you misjudge or make the wrong decision you might lose a client in these situations it can be your life and honestly that is how a police officers mindset has to be they have to extra cautious.

I have no idea what happened but absolutely agree with the 'cops are deity' notion. That said, I think it's a really tough job in this day and age -- you have to protect yourself and often that means erring on the side of being too physical as opposed to a more measured approach. If Rene's all hopped up and screaming in the street like someone in a Tupac video and his buddies are all 6-3 linebackers, I'm doing whatever I think is necessary as the arresting officer. Or, at least I understand that mindset. Really tough situation and the lesson, as always, is don't get yourself in a spot where a paddy wagon is coming after you in the middle of the night.

If a suspect is acting wild (whether or not he's physically imposing), and it appears that someone could get injured, you'd certainly rather he get hurt than you get hurt. Any of us would. We could all do the police (and each other) a favor by behaving appropriately and not doing things that invite police intervention.

Spruill is lucky to be alive. In many cities and neighborhood across the country he wouldn't be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom