The Dino Babers Show - before Liberty | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before Liberty

That seems impossible for a reporter to do with no access to practice. The coaches aren't going to sit down and outline a list of drills or a practice schedule.

I would think that whatever time each position group spends drilling they're working on things like throwing mechanics and footwork. When it comes time to work on assignments and plays, they're running the scout team.

During the season the limited practice time has to be spent on prepping for the opponent. Guys that are deep on the bench need to work on improving their bodies since they're not getting beat up in games and spend time on their own doing whatever they can to prepare to audition for playing time during the next offseason. It's the spring and preaseason that coaches can focus on the young guys that aren't playing right now.
Thanks for that, though it would make little sense for the reserve QBs (in our case the frosh) to stand and watch for 2 hours per day of practice time. They must be meeting with the QB coach and his grad assistants, doing drills under observation. There must be some second team reps, even if we have injuries (85 or so spots on the team, including walk-ins, less injured guys). Of course Dino and his assistants need to work primarily with the starters and main subs, but some of the members of his extended staff (grad assistants?) ought to be working with the frosh.
I know media does not have access to practices, but there are recent grads like Clayton Welch who might have a little time for an interview about his time at SU.

Have a hard time understanding why you would not have your newer qbs only run the scout team and not learn your offense. So markowitz, Morgan and McFall are all running the scout team. We have dedicated more qbs to running the opponents than our own. Maybe we should run the opponents offense they seem to be able to sustain drives.

Lol. They didn’t get spring, there are only so many practice reps, not enough healthy linemen to scrimmage... I’m just happy we have enough warm bodies to have a scout team.

Also, you don’t typically need to get your 4th stringer live reps. They can sit and soak.

So how does a freshman get practice reps on a team with a properly populated and spaced depth chart when he arrives? Is he promised them when he signs on; does he earn them in warm up drills; does he perform so well on the scout team that he moves up? How does that work - serious question.

So how does a freshman get practice reps on a team with a properly populated and spaced depth chart when he arrives? Is he promised them when he signs on; does he earn them in warm up drills; does he perform so well on the scout team that he moves up? How does that work - serious question.

I think in a normal year, they get their greatest amount of snaps and learning of the offense in the preseason. But when games roll around, if you're last guy in line, you have to run the scout team. That still preps you for the speed of the game. You also watch what our offense is doing and study film/playbooks.

No one wants to go that deep into the depth chart in a game, but it's how they would prep themselves if it happens

Given where we are today, I'm not sure how the 2nd team snaps are being split by the two freshmen, but if they think one is even slightly ahead of the other, I'm sure he's getting most of them.

There's no easy button for this situation we find ourselves in, unless someone can build us a flux capacitor.

Last edited:
The good news is there is absolutely 0 film of any of our QBs not named Rex Culpepper, so that leaves the door open to throw the defense off by inserting them in there for a few plays.

Practices are broken out by the minute - precious time.

All QB’s are there for Indy work and drills. All are there for film, s&c and install.

All team/group periods are broken up 1’s vs 2’s typically. Reps go 2:1 typically starter to reserve.

The 3 & 4 guys are running the O/D for the 1’s & 2’s during group/team periods.

Unless you can convince the NCAA to allow for more practice time - nobodies getting more reps in the near future. Nobodies sitting on the sidelines twittling their thumbs. (Except for K’s & P’s - lazy @ $ $ E $)

This is close to the way practice is run for every team in the country. Dino’s not doing anything ill advised.

You also need to remember - you can’t play 7 consecutive days - have to have 1 off. Typically Mondays.

Saturday - game day.
Sunday - usually film, team/group/position meetings & film. S&C. Light walk through - install.
Monday - off.
Tuesday - full pads / meetings & film after
Wednesday - full pads / meetings & film after
Thursday - uppers/thud - gameplan notebooks and quizzes do.
Friday - walk-through.

Last edited:
Some of you guys take what he says FAR to literally. Most of it's coach speak but geez...,it's one thing to not know what the scout team players do but it's another thing to literally believe the backup QBs are not learning the offense. It's irrational.

Scout teamers are only mimicking the other teams when it's opponent prep time. Other than than they're learning about their own offense and defense and position coach work etc.

Taking literally what he said about the RG3 decision something that happened 12 years ago is nuts. He's talking off the cuff about something he probably hardly remembers the fine details about, but man, I've never met a coach who would go youth over experience all things being equal.

If you're really that in the dark about what goes on at practice then I wonder...

Last edited:
Practices are broken out by the minute - precious time.

All QB’s are there for Indy work and drills. All are there for film, s&c and install.

All team/group periods are broken up 1’s vs 2’s typically. Reps go 2:1 typically starter to reserve.

The 3 & 4 guys are running the O/D for the 1’s & 2’s during group/team periods.

Unless you can convince the NCAA to allow for more practice time - nobodies getting more reps in the near future. Nobodies sitting on the sidelines twittling their thumbs. (Except for K’s & P’s - lazy @ $ $ E $)

This is close to the way practice is run for every team in the country. Dino’s not doing anything ill advised.

You also need to remember - you can’t play 7 consecutive days - have to have 1 off. Typically Mondays.

Saturday - game day.
Sunday - usually film, team/group/position meetings & film. S&C. Light walk through - install.
Monday - off.
Tuesday - full pads / meetings & film after
Wednesday - full pads / meetings & film after
Thursday - uppers/thud - gameplan notebooks and quizzes do.
Friday - walk-through.

WHICH IS WHY AN EXTRA 15 BOWL PRACTICES AND SPRING PRACTICES AND A FULL PRESEASON ARE SO IMPORTANT. People who poo poo the xtra bowl practices should maybe rethink their positions.

WHICH IS WHY AN EXTRA 15 BOWL PRACTICES AND SPRING PRACTICES AND A FULL PRESEASON ARE SO IMPORTANT. People who poo poo the xtra bowl practices should maybe rethink their positions.

The argument for extra bowl practices would carry a lot more weight if SU actually made back to back bowls. Hard to get that riled up missing 10 to 15 practices in December when a quarter of the team is usually unavailable or not on campus yet (next years frosh).

Exactly, who knows what he actually believes and thinks versus just the typical coach speak. I don't put much stock into any of it. The good or the bad, it means pretty much nothing.

I think Dino would tell you Syracuse football is a tough sell and very difficult place to recruit

I gave you a like based on your first paragraph.

In regards to your second, I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, Dino has become so full of excuses these past two seasons, I haven't any doubt Dino would indeed tell you or anyone for that matter that, due to his current status of having consistently bad teams vs. "consistently good and occasionally great."

Per Dino last night; "Some years are going to be 10-3 years. Others will be losing years. Most will be in between."
Well, regardless of what Dino spews relative to his own thinking, the reality is, he has only had one 10-3 year, 3 and catapulting towards his 4th "losing year" and zero "in between" to date. If Dino next year in year 6 doesn't at minimum get his 1st "in between" year, well, I can't believe he'll be around for his 7th.

Perhaps, what may be even 'tougher' for Dino to sell & recruit than a P5 school in Syracuse University, is that he is actually the one that can get it done here. It's not as if Dino has this impressive/long track record as a head coach of success. He has been a head coach at Syracuse longer than the total number of combined years experience in such position before arriving at SU. Prior to his arrival here, he didn't build anything impressive at Bowling Green, but simply maintained the status quo in his two years there that Dave Clawson had built/sustained beforehand.

Last edited:
Still no answer about Summers

You're not getting one. Better off reading the tea leaves here. He's not listed on the depth chart, there was a post about an injury he sustained. Not to be too harsh, but there's probably a reason why Locksley's staff never reached out to him after he got the job.

That comment was on the level of last years "we didn't have the tape". Yikes.
I wonder if it was an attempt to not toss the wideouts under the bus, so to speak. He finished the comment with the bottom line at least-drop passes, no PT.

Of course we might end up with a freshman dback playing wideout if we applied that rule.

I wonder if it was an attempt to not toss the wideouts under the bus, so to speak. He finished the comment with the bottom line at least-drop passes, no PT.

Of course we might end up with a freshman dback playing wideout if we applied that rule.

Agreed, look drops happen we all know it. That said the WR performance outside of Taj last Saturday was beyond embarrassing. Again there's literally a dozen plus WRs on the roster, play some of these guys and for the love of George Deleone call a slant or curl route or intermediate route to get these guys going and actually move the ball for a change.

The argument for extra bowl practices would carry a lot more weight if SU actually made back to back bowls. Hard to get that riled up missing 10 to 15 practices in December when a quarter of the team is usually unavailable or not on campus yet (next years frosh).

that goes without saying, the point is getting current scout teamers, who you know, haven't been learning their own play book for the past 5 months (wink), some work.

Last edited:
"I voted for the Miami guy because he’d played before." This statement says a lot about Dino's though process. Some players are not great practice players but really shine in games. He should at least give one of the freshmen qbs some time and see what they can do. What he’s putting out there now isn't lighting up the scoreboard. Dungey came in without game experience and look what happened.

3 out of 5 years he's lost his starting qb and still no qb depth. I thought he would have placed more urgency on qb depth after year 2.

Happy Birthday and thanks!
I don't think lack of QB depth is due to lack of urgency. It's just missing on targets. We've recruited a lot of QBs that have turned us down. We probably need to find someone that can put up good numbers for winning team for more than one year to get the targets at the top of our board interested in us. One magical season every few years won't do that.

Thanks for that, though it would make little sense for the reserve QBs (in our case the frosh) to stand and watch for 2 hours per day of practice time. They must be meeting with the QB coach and his grad assistants, doing drills under observation. There must be some second team reps, even if we have injuries (85 or so spots on the team, including walk-ins, less injured guys). Of course Dino and his assistants need to work primarily with the starters and main subs, but some of the members of his extended staff (grad assistants?) ought to be working with the frosh.
I know media does not have access to practices, but there are recent grads like Clayton Welch who might have a little time for an interview about his time at SU.
They're certainly not standing around for 2 hours. They're in meetings and doing drills, and playing on the scout team is good experience going up against the 1s and 2s on defense to get accustomed to the speed of the game. It's just that they're not running our offense.

There just isn't enough time or space on the field during practice for every qb on the roster to get live reps running our offense. As it is the 2nd team guy isn't going to get the same number of reps as the starter. That's not just us. That's the way it is everywhere.

My guess is that beat reporters aren't going to expend much time or energy on writing about what third, fourth, or fifth team players do during practice. If one of them was a 5 star program saviors I could see it being different, but that guy wouldn't be buried on the depth chart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom