The Dino Babers Show - before NC State | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before NC State

SWC75

Bored Historian

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

“Coach, everyone’s been debating the issue of sending out your starters to open the second half in a 49-0 game where you’ve agreed to play 10 minute quarters to avoid injuries. You said it was logical and everybody does it. Then Garrett Shrader and Sean Tucker said “We were going for records”.

What is the logical reason teams send their starters out for the second half in a game that’s ready been decided and what is your philosophy on leaving the starters in to set a record in such a game?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Matt Park announced that the bad weather had knocked out their phone system, (which often seems to be working erratically anyway), so they weren’t taking phone calls. Fortunately, (or unfortunately, to some), I had sent in my question ahead of time through Cuse.com. But it took a while for them to get to it. Matt announced that he was dinning on the ‘Garrett Shrader Platter’: brisket, ribs, pulled pork, cornbread, mac & cheese and baked beans.” He’d never had a meal quite like it.

Did the bye help or hurt? “We’ll find out”. Dino said that his priority during the bye week was to get his players “fresh mentally and physically. It was also a big week for knocking out papers because they there will be limited time for academics during the next seven weeks”. I’ve always wondered how much these guys are “student-athletes” during the season. Coach said that the team practiced Tuesday and Wednesday of the first week but then they gave the players Thursday through Monday off so they could write those papers and have time with their families. He said this was a different approach than in past years. They got back at it on Tuesday and will continue to practice through a walk-through before the game….It’s just one game a week. I want them fresher and cleaner in their minds.” [You don’t want players with dirty minds] “This game will be very physical.”

“In 34 years, this is the third team I’ve been on with a chance to go 6-0. That’s really rare except at certain places.”

The did an ‘injury report on NC State. It’s still unknown if Devin Leary will play but Coach said “He’s got enough moxie to do that Willis Reed thing and limp out there.” It will be interesting if he limps as he has a shoulder injury. He pronounced Dave Doeren as “one of the better coaches we have to face.” Matt pointed out that back-up quarterback Jack Chambers, is 25 years old and thus has plenty of maturity. He’s a grad transfer from Charleston Southern where, last year he passed for 2,510 yards and ran for 464 and accounted for 24TDs. Coach said that State has a “fabulous offensive line, really good running backs and dynamic receivers. We’ve only played them one time in the Dome and we beat them, 51-41 but I don’t expect it to be that high scoring this time.

State’s leading running back, Demie Sumo-Karngbaye and second leading pass catcher, Devin Carter, were both hurt in the Florida State game. Coach Doeren hops to have them back by Saturday. Cornerback Shyheim Battle will miss the first half due to targeting.

Jeff from Fayetteville asked, (either though Cuse.om or on paper at the restaurant), about the improvement in the passing game. Dino attributed it to the arrival of coaches Anae and Beck, saying that our new offense was a mix of things Dino wanted and Anae’s offense from BYU and Virginia but “mostly his system”. He also made sure to credit wideout coach Michael Johnson and line coach Mike Schmidt as well. he credited the coaches working together with the players in the spring, then the players “carrying it on through” the summer and then everyone coming aback together in August for the transformation.

They talked about penalties. ”It’s the pre-snap penalties that are most upsetting to the coaches: lining up wrong or jumping offside. I can live with physical penalties where they are playing hard.”

Then Matt read off my question. Dino wanted his player to “keep their rhythm going and make sure there would be no comeback. What’s the biggest margin that has ever been run down? [In a FBS game – 35 points.] I was going to give them one more series and that’s it. Sean went down after one play, although he’s back to practice, full go. I think we scored on that drive. [LeQuint Allen ran 8 yards for the score. Matt pointed out that he later had a 90 yarder.] Football is different from other sports. There are no intramurals.” [By which he meant we don’t play it casually after we leave school. There’s no ‘tavern league football’.] “When you’re done in college, you’re done. Guys that aren’t going to play in the NFL want to play, too. If you can get a record, why not?” [Of course the “other guys want to play, too” line would apply to the reserves, as well.] “I really liked that first half against Wagner and wanted the goodness to carry over.

Someone identifying himself as CuseSports 44 wanted to know who is the “next man up” after Terry Lockett went down. He wondered if it could be Josh Hough or maybe Garth Barclay. Coach said that they were “moving up the depth chart” and that Josh was playing on the D-line for the scout team.” Matt said that they were ”on the road to deciding if they can be helpful for you”.

Chip West the cornerback coach came on to say that his charges were “catching up in the classroom and getting healthy”. He’s came here along with Garrett Williams, whom he praised for “setting an example in the classroom and on the field….We’re trying to get better every day.” Matt suggest that “Charlie Jones got his but our guys made some plays, too.” West said they concentrate on “fundamentals, especially using your eyes and your feet.” Matt asked about Jeremiah (Wilson) and Isaiah (Johnson). Coach West didn’t refer him to the Bible and instead said that they were “getting similar snaps and doing a great job”. Matt noted that top receiver Thayer Thomas, “has thrown 14 passes and 4 of them went for touchdowns”. West: “He knows how to get open. He’s similar to the Purdue receivers. Devin Carter is 6-3 and over 200 pounds. We have to execute, be physical, be aggressive and make plays. Football is the greatest team sport in the world. We’re trying to go 1-0.”

Coach Babers returned. Matt noted that he put Justin Barron in in the second half of the Wagner game. “That’s to get his timing back. We got into field goal situations not to run it up but to get the timing right.”

Matt noted that Sean Tucker is going up against a top linebacking corps, (Payton Wilson, Isaiah Moore and Drake Thomas). DB: “Both teams are hunkering down to stop the run. The cake is not the icing. The cake is stopping the run.” [But don’t eat too much cake – or too many Garrett Shrader platters.]Corey Durbin is a lot different nose guard than outs. We like movement from our nose guard. They want a big guy who would have to be double-teamed.”

“Both Tucker and Shrader had long TD runs in the last game, (against NC State). We have to get great space for Tucker to run in. We want to run like last year and throw like this year…..I know Coach Doeren and he knowns me. There’s not a lot of forward things [?] going on….Give us a packed house!”

"It’s still unknown if Devin Leary will play but Coach said “He’s got enough moxie to do that Willis Reed thing and limp out there.” It will be interesting if he limps as he has a shoulder injury. "

Classic SWC. As always, thanks for the write up.

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

“Coach, everyone’s been debating the issue of sending out your starters to open the second half in a 49-0 game where you’ve agreed to play 10 minute quarters to avoid injuries. You said it was logical and everybody does it. Then Garrett Shrader and Sean Tucker said “We were going for records”.

What is the logical reason teams send their starters out for the second half in a game that’s ready been decided and what is your philosophy on leaving the starters in to set a record in such a game?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Matt Park announced that the bad weather had knocked out their phone system, (which often seems to be working erratically anyway), so they weren’t taking phone calls. Fortunately, (or unfortunately, to some), I had sent in my question ahead of time through Cuse.com. But it took a while for them to get to it. Matt announced that he was dinning on the ‘Garrett Shrader Platter’: brisket, ribs, pulled pork, cornbread, mac & cheese and baked beans.” He’d never had a meal quite like it.

Did the bye help or hurt? “We’ll find out”. Dino said that his priority during the bye week was to get his players “fresh mentally and physically. It was also a big week for knocking out papers because they there will be limited time for academics during the next seven weeks”. I’ve always wondered how much these guys are “student-athletes” during the season. Coach said that the team practiced Tuesday and Wednesday of the first week but then they gave the players Thursday through Monday off so they could write those papers and have time with their families. He said this was a different approach than in past years. They got back at it on Tuesday and will continue to practice through a walk-through before the game….It’s just one game a week. I want them fresher and cleaner in their minds.” [You don’t want players with dirty minds] “This game will be very physical.”

“In 34 years, this is the third team I’ve been on with a chance to go 6-0. That’s really rare except at certain places.”

The did an ‘injury report on NC State. It’s still unknown if Devin Leary will play but Coach said “He’s got enough moxie to do that Willis Reed thing and limp out there.” It will be interesting if he limps as he has a shoulder injury. He pronounced Dave Doeren as “one of the better coaches we have to face.” Matt pointed out that back-up quarterback Jack Chambers, is 25 years old and thus has plenty of maturity. He’s a grad transfer from Charleston Southern where, last year he passed for 2,510 yards and ran for 464 and accounted for 24TDs. Coach said that State has a “fabulous offensive line, really good running backs and dynamic receivers. We’ve only played them one time in the Dome and we beat them, 51-41 but I don’t expect it to be that high scoring this time.

State’s leading running back, Demie Sumo-Karngbaye and second leading pass catcher, Devin Carter, were both hurt in the Florida State game. Coach Doeren hops to have them back by Saturday. Cornerback Shyheim Battle will miss the first half due to targeting.

Jeff from Fayetteville asked, (either though Cuse.om or on paper at the restaurant), about the improvement in the passing game. Dino attributed it to the arrival of coaches Anae and Beck, saying that our new offense was a mix of things Dino wanted and Anae’s offense from BYU and Virginia but “mostly his system”. He also made sure to credit wideout coach Michael Johnson and line coach Mike Schmidt as well. he credited the coaches working together with the players in the spring, then the players “carrying it on through” the summer and then everyone coming aback together in August for the transformation.

They talked about penalties. ”It’s the pre-snap penalties that are most upsetting to the coaches: lining up wrong or jumping offside. I can live with physical penalties where they are playing hard.”

Then Matt read off my question. Dino wanted his player to “keep their rhythm going and make sure there would be no comeback. What’s the biggest margin that has ever been run down? [In a FBS game – 35 points.] I was going to give them one more series and that’s it. Sean went down after one play, although he’s back to practice, full go. I think we scored on that drive. [LeQuint Allen ran 8 yards for the score. Matt pointed out that he later had a 90 yarder.] Football is different from other sports. There are no intramurals.” [By which he meant we don’t play it casually after we leave school. There’s no ‘tavern league football’.] “When you’re done in college, you’re done. Guys that aren’t going to play in the NFL want to play, too. If you can get a record, why not?” [Of course the “other guys want to play, too” line would apply to the reserves, as well.] “I really liked that first half against Wagner and wanted the goodness to carry over.

Someone identifying himself as CuseSports 44 wanted to know who is the “next man up” after Terry Lockett went down. He wondered if it could be Josh Hough or maybe Garth Barclay. Coach said that they were “moving up the depth chart” and that Josh was playing on the D-line for the scout team.” Matt said that they were ”on the road to deciding if they can be helpful for you”.

Chip West the cornerback coach came on to say that his charges were “catching up in the classroom and getting healthy”. He’s came here along with Garrett Williams, whom he praised for “setting an example in the classroom and on the field….We’re trying to get better every day.” Matt suggest that “Charlie Jones got his but our guys made some plays, too.” West said they concentrate on “fundamentals, especially using your eyes and your feet.” Matt asked about Jeremiah (Wilson) and Isaiah (Johnson). Coach West didn’t refer him to the Bible and instead said that they were “getting similar snaps and doing a great job”. Matt noted that top receiver Thayer Thomas, “has thrown 14 passes and 4 of them went for touchdowns”. West: “He knows how to get open. He’s similar to the Purdue receivers. Devin Carter is 6-3 and over 200 pounds. We have to execute, be physical, be aggressive and make plays. Football is the greatest team sport in the world. We’re trying to go 1-0.”

Coach Babers returned. Matt noted that he put Justin Barron in in the second half of the Wagner game. “That’s to get his timing back. We got into field goal situations not to run it up but to get the timing right.”

Matt noted that Sean Tucker is going up against a top linebacking corps, (Payton Wilson, Isaiah Moore and Drake Thomas). DB: “Both teams are hunkering down to stop the run. The cake is not the icing. The cake is stopping the run.” [But don’t eat too much cake – or too many Garrett Shrader platters.]Corey Durbin is a lot different nose guard than outs. We like movement from our nose guard. They want a big guy who would have to be double-teamed.”

“Both Tucker and Shrader had long TD runs in the last game, (against NC State). We have to get great space for Tucker to run in. We want to run like last year and throw like this year…..I know Coach Doeren and he knowns me. There’s not a lot of forward things [?] going on….Give us a packed house!”
As always, thank you for the write-up!!

Certain parties will be glad that I won't be pursuing this issue again, (unless there's a demand for it). I just wanted Dino to expand on the logic he was using and his attitude toward risking injury to get records. I thought his response was kind of flabby, ("guys who aren't going to the NFL want to play, too" as a reason to keep the starters in), indicating that not a lot of thought went into this. He just did what most coaches do in this situation because that's what most coaches do in this situation. He might have re-assessed that when he saw Sean lying on the turf. I don't think we'll find out this season.

Certain parties will be glad that I won't be pursuing this issue again, (unless there's a demand for it). I just wanted Dino to expand on the logic he was using and his attitude toward risking injury to get records. I thought his response was kind of flabby, ("guys who aren't going to the NFL want to play, too" as a reason to keep the starters in), indicating that not a lot of thought went into this. He just did what most coaches do in this situation because that's what most coaches do in this situation. He might have re-assessed that when he saw Sean lying on the turf. I don't think we'll find out this season.
Dino spins a great tail but at the end of the day he is more meat than not

if you listen to the talk shows its pretty clear that playing a small bit vs wagner followed by a bye week, leads to issues that coaches try to avoid. Even the act of warming up is seen as a good thing by many coaches.

we see it as resting, the coaches see it as staying in game shape and game mode

I don’t know, I thought the answer was fair. These kids some to play football and there may not be football after their college experience. Nothing is certain for any of us. You play for the moment you know you have now in front of you.

If I played college football I’d really appreciate that approach - as a fan I want my team healthy and ready to tear apart the rest of the league but oh well.

Dino's always left in the starters longer than necessary during blowouts. We're lucky that I don't think it's cost us yet.

Thanks for your work as always. Out of curiosity, did they read off any of the questions asked on twitter?

Thanks for your work as always. Out of curiosity, did they read off any of the questions asked on twitter?

Jeff from Fayetteville or CuseSports 44 could have been on Twitter. I don't recall if Matt said they were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom