The Dino Babers Show- before Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show- before Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday.

I’ll be summarizing the comments directly related to the team and the next game (late) on the night of the broadcast and anything else interesting the next day, (if there is anything else that seems interesting). I’ll have a “first hour” and a “second hour” question.

They are doing the show on Zoom, not at any local restaurant.

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Home | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn
I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s) or Comments

Coach, during last Saturday’s game Matt described a Sean Tucker run by saying that ‘Tucker broke a tuckle’. I guess that’s what Sean does: he turns tackles into ‘tuckles’.

I watched that game wondering which Errol Flynn movie I would reference this week. Would it be ‘The Charge of the Light Brigade’ in which the good guys improbably ride through the cannon fire to reach the Russian lines and the bad guys get what’s coming to them or would it be ‘They Died With Their Boots On’ where Custer’s men make another valiant charge but there’s just too many Indians. I guess there were just too many Indians on Saturday.

There are two phrases I hear all the time on talk radio that I hate: ‘winnable game’ and ‘moral victory’. If you divide your schedule into winnable games and non-winnable game you are both underestimating your opposition, (Duke, Liberty) and yourself. We’ve competed with Clemson pretty well over the years and even beaten them and will again. I never knew what an ‘immoral victory’ was. You want two things going into a game: You want to win and you want to emerge from the game optimistic about getting future wins. Sometimes you lose the game but the team plays so well you feel better about them than you did before the game began and that’s what happened at Clemson. The one thing I worry about is a letdown after playing Clemson. How do you get the team into the proper mindset to take on the challenge of beating Wake Forest this week?

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Matt and Dino talked about the closeness of Syracuse-Wake Forest games. Last year both teams hit field goals in the final minute and then came the Trill Williams play in overtime. Dino said one of the (few) good things about the revised schedule is that we get to play them at home again for the second straight years. This will be Wake’s first game outside of the state of North Carolina this year where we have made three out-of-state road trips already. They are one of the hottest teams in the ACC, having just beaten Virginia and Virginia Tech. Coach explained that Dave Clawson redshirts everybody and they usually stay for four years so his teams tend to be older than their opposition and they ”play very mature”. They may have some 6th year players next year.

John in Baltimore asked about the play-calling. He liked the fact that we take a couple of shots down the field a game but also likes to see those slant patterns to the inside. He really loves the misdirection and wants to see more of it along with RPOs, (run-pass options). He also wonders if the team seems to be “a little more up” for Clemson. Dino, as he often does, answered the second question first. “Clemson is a fantastic team with unbelievable personnel. It’s like a basketball player having to go up against Dr. J.” At this point Matt suggested he use a more recent reference so Dino changed it to Michael Jordan and then to LeBron James. “You get up for that. It was also the first time our young players played in front of fans. For them it was the closest we’ve come this year to feeling like a real football game. They upper their game because the cheering crowd seemed familiar.”

On the second point, we do enjoy doing special plays but with all the turnover we’ve had we don’t have players with the knowledge to pull them off. We have to get them practiced. Matt suggested the sequence of plays leading to a ‘special’ play needs to work properly. Dino said “there are three locations on the field – the left hash mark, the right and the middle. You have to be properly positioned. . I was upset on the reverse to Nykeim that he didn’t score because we hadn’t gotten him close enough, (to the proper position for that play). The defensive personnel matters, too. If you have a fundamentally sound player who holds his position, they may not work. If you have a guy that loves to chase the play, then you can run it.” Matt brought up the “Philly Special” play that won the Super Bowl a couple of years back. Dino said that he’d had that play in his offense for three years before that. When he saw it in the Super Bowl, he said “Hey! That’s my play!”. Matt said that “Coaches only call the plays that work.” I assume he meant that they only acknowledge calling the plays that work.” He made reference to a similar play Clemson used to Trevor Lawrence that did not work. He said that they were “just showing off but then got down to business.”

They got to my question. Coach didn’t respond to “tuckles” but Matt managed to put “They Died With Their Boots On” on Dino’s screen. They talked about how it came out the same year as one of his favorite movies, Sergeant York:

As to my question about getting past the Clemson game and focusing on Wake Forest, Coach compared playing a team like Clemson to going 15 rounds with Mike Tyson, (while going one-on-one with Dr. J), saying that you are going to emerge from that fight “with your body rather beat up. It takes so much out of you.” He wondered what the record of ACC teams was the week after they’d played Clemson. I promised to look it up.

Matt had done some research of his own – about the lack of “tempo’ with this year’s team. In Dino’s tenure here, we’ve had 5 games where didn’t run 60 offensive plays. Three of them have come this year. Dino: “Our freshmen didn’t get the spring or a normal August. You’ve got to be careful about going fast. We don’t want to go 15 rounds with these guys. We’d rather go 12 rounds.”

Matt said that Wake’s running backs have bene described as “patient”. Dino: “Not patient. They are molasses.” (I wonder what their 40 times are.) “You have to be patient on defense, not on drugs and a good night sleep. They run the best RPOs ever. The linebackers get sucked in and the D-backs get isolated. “

Matt mentioned that their star receiver, Sage Surratt, had opted out for this year but that their quarterback, Sam Hartman had thrown for 700 yards against SU in two games. Coach signed heavily at that news.

Matt asked about the status of injured players, especially Sean Tucker and Trill Williams. Dino: “We’ll have to wait and see on the injured players. Those guys are the type of players we will play if they are ready to go. There’s a lot of firepower that hasn’t been on the field for us. We always thought Sean Was good and eh would have gotten reps even thought the opt outs and injuries but he got more of them when we really needed him and it gave him a better chance to show what he could do. If you get 5 reps and look good on two of them it makes less of an impression than if you get 10 of them and look good in 5 of them.”

They talked about the impact of a defensive touchdown. Dino: “The stats are crazy on your likelihood of winning if you get a defensive touchdown or a blocked kick.” (Unless you give one back, as we did.) “Running a kickoff back doesn’t have the same effect.” Matt was able to look those things up. He said that in the 2000’s, (meaning the millennium, not the decade, we have had 15 games with a pick 6 and are 13-2 in those games. The two losses were to Notre Dame at Met Life Stadium, (2014 Durell Eskridge, a 29 yarder. We lost 15-31) and Saturday. We’ve returned four fumbles for scores but lost three of those games, (Matt didn’t identify them). We’ve only had three kickoff return touchdowns, the last in 2011, (Dorian Graham vs. West Virginia). We won two of those games. We are 7-7 in games with punt returns for scores, (which includes blocked punts which are thrown in with them) but have lost 6 of our last 8.

They talked about Boogie Basham, whom Dino had called “Godzilla” in his news conference. I heard an interview with a Wake Forest guy today in which he responded to that by saying that if you are already called ‘Boogie Basham’, you hardly need a nickname. (His real name is Carlos). He’s 6-5 285 and has had a TFL, (tackle for a loss) in 23 straight games. Dino: “We can turn our protection his way, run the play the other way, chip him with a back”, (I don’t think he’s the type you ‘chip’.) “But you always have to account for him. He’s got a motor that doesn’t stop running. On one play I thought a defensive back had run a guy down and it was Boogie.” He sounds like Dwight Freeney.

They brought on defensive line coach Vince Reynolds. Dino praised our three-man front for their senior leadership and added transfer Cody Roscoe to the group. Reynolds said to take on Wake’s 1-2 rushing punch, “The team has got to be disciplined. They are patient in finding the crease and ‘jump cutting’”. (I’m not sure what that is, unless it’s what Eric Dungey used to do.) He said our front 3-4 are both off-the-field and on-the-field leaders. “The team feeds off of them. When they get going their ‘younger brother’ on the rest of the defense get going.” They mentioned that Kingsley Jonathan is actually on a committee to select the next commissioner of the conference. “He’s one of the best young men I’ve ever been around.”
Kingsley Jonathan Selected for ACC Search Advisory Committee - Syracuse University Athletics

Here are the records of ACC teams the week after playing Clemson since we joined in 2013, (which is also when Clemson began to be a super-power).

Boston College 3-4
Duke 0-1
Florida State 5-2
Georgia Tech 4-4
Louisville 5-1
Maryland 0-1
U of Miami 2-1
North Carolina 1-2
NC State 3-4
Notre Dame 1-0 (I included them though they are an ACC team only when they want to be.)
Pittsburgh 1-2
Syracuse 2-4
Virginia 0-2
Virginia Tech 2-0
Wake Forest 2-6
Total: 31-34

That doesn’t suggest that there is a hangover the week after playing Clemson. But I notice that Syracuse and Wake Forest are 4-10. Florida State and Louisville are 10-3. I suspect that the syndrome tends to show itself in teams that lack depth.

A jump cut is a cutting technique, really well used in a zone blocking scheme. Backs running towards where the linemen are and looking for a space/crease. When they see it, they use kinetic energy (pushing off the ground) to jump into their cut and gain acceleration.

Here’s a simple drill that helps RBs use it.

A jump cut is a cutting technique, really well used in a zone blocking scheme. Backs running towards where the linemen are and looking for a space/crease. When they see it, they use kinetic energy (pushing off the ground) to jump into their cut and gain acceleration.

Exactly. Cutting off of both feet, not just one.

Exactly. Cutting off of both feet, not just one.
so the stuff that RBs have been doing for 100 yrs has a fancy name now.. look at some of the great runs of Barry Sanders and TD and Gale Sayers.

Or course those who played flag football also remember its an illegal move there..

so the stuff that RBs have been doing for 100 yrs has a fancy name now.. look at some of the great runs of Barry Sanders and TD and Gale Sayers.

Or course those who played flag football also remember its an illegal move there..

lol. the new company buzzword. In real time 20 years ago we'd call that 'juking' or having 'wiggle',...idk

Then what do they call what Dungey did?

1604072477674.png

Once, on a punt return, Bill Curry, playing for the Colts, attempted to tackle Gayle Sayers and whiffs. Lying on the ground, he looked at Sayers running downfield and 'shot' at him with his finger. Fortunately, it wasn't loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom