"The Dome roof" | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

"The Dome roof"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's oppressive. I have relatives that would never go to an early season game. On top of the heat, you get human body moisture, permeating the air, making it more stuffy and oppressive. (And kinda gross). A hard top would allow for a free flow of air... Enough AC to counter the 40000 heaters, and get it to 80 degrees? Fine by me. Sure, 70 would be better, but I don't expect the world. Just don't want to be miserable.

Looks like in this survey, AC is the highest priority. "Disgustingly hot". AC wins 44.6% to 29% seats.

Dome 35 | The Legend and Future of Syracuse's Carrier Dome
It is disappointing how ill informed these students are. Thry have no idea what the issues are with the facility.

The major drop in academic rating for Syracuse is closely tied to a major drop in the quality of the students enrolled and it shows here.

A hard top would allow for open windows therefore creating some air flow at the sauna like games.

If the AC argument is based more on the fact that they now have a facility that can be used all summer long for various events, than I don’t have much I can say against that. But to do it for a couple of football games? I’d rather have incredible sound, SOTA lighting, WiFi, salt potatoes, out of town scores, the list goes on...

pro bench? impossible.
Why? Many if not most of the most famous college football stadiums in America have benches. And my ass is relatively small compared to most, so I could care less. I’m pro bench, pro trough, anti dome dog.

Why? Many if not most of the most famous college football stadiums in America have benches. And my ass is relatively small compared to most, so I could care less. I’m pro bench, pro trough, anti dome dog.

Lol pro trough. I tend to agree. More efficient. Any dome reno seeking to eliminate trough should bw scratched immediately.

I too am pro bench and pro trough. I am more than 5’6 tall so any attempt to install backs on the benches on the third level would be a disasterous development for me (unless they completely remove and replace the third deck with a new deck with room to provide chair backs). Hence my pro bench position.

I am worried they are going to spend millions on fancy bathrooms. I don’t care about fancy bathrooms. Utilitarian troughs work fine for me.

I like Hoffman hotdogs but I hate how they are served at the Dome. The whole ‘let’s cook 500 Dome dogs and put them ready to go in foil bags 2 hours before the game so we will be really efficient’ mindset is ancient and needs to be dumped. Besides always getting a cold hot dog, the dogs are consistently underdone and the rolls are low quality and stale. It is exactly the same setup and product thry has used since 1980 and it was bad then. The food lineup is almost unchanged since the day the Dome opened. I find it remarkable how in a world where stadium food has undergone a complete revolution, Syracuse remains stuck in 1980. Yes, there are a couple of places where, sometimes, if you are lucky, you might be able to get chicken tenders, fries or a burger. They are almost back to where they were when there was a full service Burger King in the Dome. Worst management of food ever.

I too am pro bench and pro trough. I am more than 5’6 tall so any attempt to install backs on the benches on the third level would be a disasterous development for me (unless they completely remove and replace the third deck with a new deck with room to provide chair backs). Hence my pro bench position.

I am worried they are going to spend millions on fancy bathrooms. I don’t care about fancy bathrooms. Utilitarian troughs work fine for me.

I like Hoffman hotdogs but I hate how they are served at the Dome. The whole ‘let’s cook 500 Dome dogs and put them ready to go in foil bags 2 hours before the game so we will be really efficient’ mindset is ancient and needs to be dumped. Besides always getting a cold hot dog, the dogs are consistently underdone and the rolls are low quality and stale. It is exactly the same setup and product thry has used since 1980 and it was bad then. The food lineup is almost unchanged since the day the Dome opened. I find it remarkable how in a world where stadium food has undergone a complete revolution, Syracuse remains stuck in 1980. Yes, there are a couple of places where, sometimes, if you are lucky, you might be able to get chicken tenders, fries or a burger. They are almost back to where they were when there was a full service Burger King in the Dome. Worst management of food ever.
Last week Dinosaur BBQ began serving at the Times Union Center in Albany.

Pro-we-don't-need-no-stinking-air-conditioning, pro-bench, pro-trough, pro-soggy-dome-dog-and-flat-horse-piss-beer-in-a-can, pro-stuck-in-the-80's, pro-do-nothing-and-brag-that-its-world-class.

Pro-we-don't-need-no-stinking-air-conditioning, pro-bench, pro-trough, pro-soggy-dome-dog-and-flat-horse-piss-beer-in-a-can, pro-stuck-in-the-80's, pro-do-nothing-and-brag-that-its-world-class.

Lets be honest, as long as it has a blue curtin, well all be good with it.

I don’t know why they got rid of that Italian place where you could get meatball subs, ziti, garlic bread and a few other Italian items.

People clearly missed the point of my post. College sports are about the students that attend the college. We have a great student fanbase whose interest has waned when the team has struggled.

If you make it harder for them to attend games, the casuals wouldn't go at all, and attendance would drop as a result. Moving the stadium off campus would be catastrophic.

People clearly missed the point of my post. College sports are about the students that attend the college. We have a great student fanbase whose interest has waned when the team has struggled.

If you make it harder for them to attend games, the casuals wouldn't go at all, and attendance would drop as a result. Moving the stadium off campus would be catastrophic.

Such an overstatement. Winning is more important to attendance than a stadium 2 miles away. And college sports are about a lot of things, not one thing. How many students attend games v how many non students? Moreover, if syracuse sports were all about the students, they wouldnt have those crappy seats behind the basket.

You might have a point if the student section wasn't literally a section most football games

Last edited:
I think AC is a non necessity. And I’m pro bench, but not anti-seat. But if you want AC, wouldn’t the cold metal bench keep you even cooler in the pants region? I think it would.

Remember that athletics is not the sole tenant of the Dome. Lack of AC makes the building virtually unusable during the summer during peak concert tour season. We have missed out on some major events because of this factor.
And those early season football games are brutal.

I don’t think bnoro is talking about attendance. There are more seats than students, by about 2. If every student (including grad students who may have loyalty to their undergraduate school) went, people would still complain that they only fill half. The point is it’s core, it’s DNA. College athletics is about college, and in principle, that is best represented by students. Alumni may be second and everyone else third. Nothing is quite that cut and dry, but Alumni give primarily to enhance the student experience, not the fan experience. If students don't attend, there is a harder fight to get alumni support. The first/best way to combat that is to get a better product on the field. Unfortunately this is where it becomes a bit chicken or egg, but making things harder on students is not going to garner much alumni support. Where facilities like Northwestern’s succeed is by adding program (uses/function) that is desired and open to students. For me, this is why I liked attaching the Arch project to the Dome, and a Newhouse function, and a performance research function, and a med school rehab, etc. you see my point. That will wake up donors.

Remember that athletics is not the sole tenant of the Dome. Lack of AC makes the building virtually unusable during the summer during peak concert tour season. We have missed out on some major events because of this factor.
And those early season football games are brutal.
Plus there are rumors that AC is something a certain much maligned long term sponsor of Syracuse athletics is going to provide as part of the Dome renovation. AC is going to essentially be free.

I agree it is not a necessity but as the good Consigliere has noted, adding it expands the number of days an expensive facility is available by 25-40%. That helps justify the investment and provides many more opportunities to generate income and help pay back the investment made. And it forever ends the awful experiences all of us have had attending events in the Dome, be it football games, graduation, concerts, etc. on hot days. Those experiences are never forgotten and hurt attendance badly when there is nice weather.

I like Hoffman hotdogs but I hate how they are served at the Dome. The whole ‘let’s cook 500 Dome dogs and put them ready to go in foil bags 2 hours before the game so we will be really efficient’ mindset is ancient and needs to be dumped. Besides always getting a cold hot dog, the dogs are consistently underdone and the rolls are low quality and stale. It is exactly the same setup and product thry has used since 1980 and it was bad then. ...

Aha, an important point of correction here. 'Dome Dogs' used to be a brand called Tobin's First Prize (made in Albany, I believe). They were a ridiculously salty skinless hot dog that was way better suited to being prepared steamed than the Hofmann dogs with natural casings. (I think they were pretty good.) In 1997 SU responded to Hofmanns' popularity and introduced the local dog and began to phase out the originals. I don't know when they disappeared from the Dome entirely, but I was able to buy Tobin's at Stop & Shops and Hannafords in the Hudson Valley until 4 or 5 years ago. Now they appear not to exist at all.

Anyway, the moral of this story is that SU sometimes makes snap decisions without the ability to follow through. If you've only got the equipment and manpower to steam hot dogs, don't switch to a product that's completely gross if it isn't grilled.

Aha, an important point of correction here. 'Dome Dogs' used to be a brand called Tobin's First Prize (made in Albany, I believe). They were a ridiculously salty skinless hot dog that was way better suited to being prepared steamed than the Hofmann dogs with natural casings. (I think they were pretty good.) In 1997 SU responded to Hofmanns' popularity and introduced the local dog and began to phase out the originals. I don't know when they disappeared from the Dome entirely, but I was able to buy Tobin's at Stop & Shops and Hannafords in the Hudson Valley until 4 or 5 years ago. Now they appear not to exist at all.

Anyway, the moral of this story is that SU sometimes makes snap decisions without the ability to follow through. If you've only got the equipment and manpower to steam hot dogs, don't switch to a product that's completely gross if it isn't grilled.
I am not sure the fire laws allow for grills in the dome. At least that was the case originally.

Great student fanbase for football?

Great student fan bases don't: arrive late, leave at halftime, only show for big games, shake keys and stare at their smartphones all game.

I like the building on campus (and I am no fan of former Mayor Miner but I too would have balked at any deal that was proposed and then being sped thru by the Governor and County Exec. They are not ethical, quality people). That notoriety will never be replaced if the building is off campus. In order I want

better Wi-fi, more concourse room, more seat room, AC. Frankly if they don't get 1 and 2 fixed numbers 3 and 4 don't matter to me personally.

Great student fanbase for football?

Great student fan bases don't: arrive late, leave at halftime, only show for big games, shake keys and stare at their smartphones all game.

This is so tiring. The team basically has been bad while across the hall even our worst hoops seasons are 20 plus wins. Tough matchup. If the school actually wants donors and alumni involvement getting the kids involved and engaged is where it begins. That’s been a massive flaw of SU for forever.

The AD realizes the issues that need to be fixed. It’s always $$$

Plus there are rumors that AC is something a certain much maligned long term sponsor of Syracuse athletics is going to provide as part of the Dome renovation. AC is going to essentially be free.

I agree it is not a necessity but as the good Consigliere has noted, adding it expands the number of days an expensive facility is available by 25-40%. That helps justify the investment and provides many more opportunities to generate income and help pay back the investment made. And it forever ends the awful experiences all of us have had attending events in the Dome, be it football games, graduation, concerts, etc. on hot days. Those experiences are never forgotten and hurt attendance badly when there is nice weather.
I really hope so. I'm guessing many of the 60+ crowd at the Mcartney concert will never go back. My 60+ relatives just won't go. I'm sure they are not alone.

This is so tiring. The team basically has been bad while across the hall even our worst hoops seasons are 20 plus wins. Tough matchup. If the school actually wants donors and alumni involvement getting the kids involved and engaged is where it begins. That’s been a massive flaw of SU for forever.

The AD realizes the issues that need to be fixed. It’s always $$$

Yeah, but I've been going to games for 25 years and no matter how good the team was, student involvement has been lackluster at best.

Maybe kids growing up in the Northeast just don't like college football. I don't know and it doesn't really matter. It's not accurate to say that SU has a great student fanbase for football, latent or otherwise.

Yeah, but I've been going to games for 25 years and no matter how good the team was, student involvement has been lackluster at best.

Maybe kids growing up in the Northeast just don't like college football. I don't know and it doesn't really matter. It's not accurate to say that SU has a great student fanbase for football, latent or otherwise.

Support was fine in the 90s. Student population has changed a great deal too. Far less NYS kids, far more foreign born.

Status
Not open for further replies.