The Dome vs Cameron | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Dome vs Cameron

cto said:
Cuseguy... your argument is with the NCAA. That is all they require. We have a facility that seats 35,000... and season ticket holders are about half of that. Very easy for visiting fans to buy tix. In tiny arenas with good fan bases, not so easy.

I understand. Just too bad it has to be that way. I'll plan my ACC road trips for BC.

Well, Joyce, of course you'll be there. I expect you to have a front row seat for the second coming of Jesus.

Seriously, I understand that Cameron is a small facility and that season ticket holders rule the day. But it's wrong that opposing teams only get 75 tickets. It sorta takes some of the fun out of having a team like Duke in your conference if you can't see your team play them on the road.

I'll always long for the Big East days when you could get a ticket to see SU play any conference foe on the road.

You need to contribute at least $7k per year to Duke for season tickets (that's the upper area behind the wall).

When I was at Duke, the entire lower area in front of the wall (which surrounds the entire court), was composed of:

a) the 2 side-court areas -- undergrads only (no tickets -- first come, first serve, and free (except for that whole tuition thing)
b) end-court area to the left side of the TV cameras -- grad students. This is still the case, and there will invariably be a couple of Cuse folks there
c) end-court area to the right side of the TV cameras -- the band, plus some other Duke athletes
d) floor seats on either end -- boosters and their families

The only area for visitors was essentially a 2-person buffer perimeter between the visiting bench and the Crazies. Usually this was occupied by family and a couple of VIP's

Now, since I graduated, and everything went to with our undergrad population, an entire side court area (the side away from the TV cameras) is no longer occupied by undergrads (normal students stopped going after the dork patrol turned it into a freak show), and most of what's behind the guest bench is folks from the visiting team, whereas the folks behind Duke's bench are family, friends, and celebs.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if Duke allocated more than 20 tickets to visiting teams when I was a student.

Remember -- even the broadcasters get a seat literally on the ceiling of the building, and the press row area (it's literally just one row) is immediately in front of the undergrads on the TV side. Reporters regularly walk out of there covered in sweat and blue paint.

It's a tiny place (which didn't even have AC when I was there -- thankfully, that has been fixed).

Does that include player/coach tix? Used to be 2 per scholy player on the road. Assume it was the same for coaches.

AD staff... wow. Basically ur looking at only the biggest donors. Hell, not sure DC gets in the building. Unless JP hooks him up.

I was there around Christmas, this was the night we played Villanova and they also had a game. we got to campus at around the same time the last fans we're leaving the arena. Can't imagine the place filled to the brim with people
image.jpg

I was there around Christmas, this was the night we played Villanova and they also had a game. we got to campus at around the same time the last fans we're leaving the arena. Can't imagine the place filled to the brim with people View attachment 7502

Yeah, it's reeeeaaaallly small.

But, for those folks that are lucky enough to make it (expect any tickets to be ridiculously priced -- like, even up to $2k-per for the area above that wall, which is where there are actual seats), you'll never regret it. I've been to lots of arenas (never to the Carrier or the Phog, but to many others), but Cameron has a beauty and an atmosphere that is, albeit maybe not perfect, definitely unique.

I was there around Christmas, this was the night we played Villanova and they also had a game. we got to campus at around the same time the last fans we're leaving the arena. Can't imagine the place filled to the brim with people View attachment 7502

And, for the uninitiated, to the left side of that pic is the visitor's bench, and those 2 rows of cushioned 'seats' are what used to be the 'buffer' between the students and the visitors, where visitor VIP's sat (and still sit, though they are allowed more folks now). Most teams felt that the buffer wasn't enough, and that's why most visitors put chairs about 10 feet away from the bench during time-outs (though it's really unnecessary these days).

Well, Joyce, of course you'll be there. I expect you to have a front row seat for the second coming of Jesus.

Seriously, I understand that Cameron is a small facility and that season ticket holders rule the day. But it's wrong that opposing teams only get 75 tickets. It sorta takes some of the fun out of having a team like Duke in your conference if you can't see your team play them on the road.

I'll always long for the Big East days when you could get a ticket to see SU play any conference foe on the road.

I usually go to a conference road game every year but those trips are going to be far fewer now that we are in the ACC. The Big East schools played in much larger arenas than the ACC does and there just aren't many tickets available for most of these sites.

Last edited:
NOD1 said:
You need to contribute at least $7k per year to Duke for season tickets (that's the upper area behind the wall). When I was at Duke, the entire lower area in front of the wall (which surrounds the entire court), was composed of: a) the 2 side-court areas -- undergrads only (no tickets -- first come, first serve, and free (except for that whole tuition thing) b) end-court area to the left side of the TV cameras -- grad students. This is still the case, and there will invariably be a couple of Cuse folks there c) end-court area to the right side of the TV cameras -- the band, plus some other Duke athletes d) floor seats on either end -- boosters and their families The only area for visitors was essentially a 2-person buffer perimeter between the visiting bench and the Crazies. Usually this was occupied by family and a couple of VIP's Now, since I graduated, and everything went to with our undergrad population, an entire side court area (the side away from the TV cameras) is no longer occupied by undergrads (normal students stopped going after the dork patrol turned it into a freak show), and most of what's behind the guest bench is folks from the visiting team, whereas the folks behind Duke's bench are family, friends, and celebs. Frankly, I'd be surprised if Duke allocated more than 20 tickets to visiting teams when I was a student. Remember -- even the broadcasters get a seat literally on the ceiling of the building, and the press row area (it's literally just one row) is immediately in front of the undergrads on the TV side. Reporters regularly walk out of there covered in sweat and blue paint. It's a tiny place (which didn't even have AC when I was there -- thankfully, that has been fixed).

If all Duke is gong to provide the visiting team is 75 tix then that is all they should get from others.

If all Duke is gong to provide the visiting team is 75 tix then that is all they should get from others.
Bees... as Domestu pointed out, the issue is the size of the arenas. UConn provided us with only 75 tickets when the games were at Gampel. But when they were in Hartford, there were plenty of tix available. Louisville provided us with only 75 in their old arena; I can remember a game there when Devendorf's parents were bitching about the ticket situation. We were spoiled with the NBA arenas in the Big East. Not that way anymore.

We sould have fun with It as well. 75 lower level seats... in the end zone opposite from the court.

Makes it even more important for a level playing field for home court advantage, that we allocate very few tickets also.

Cheapest ticket for SU @ Duke is currently 1k on stub hub.

But we will never be rivals.

Duke's student section hops up and down, does jazz hands and makes up clever chants like "Let's go Duke". If you're a 5 year old, Cameron is terrifying.

Saw way too many grown men doing spirit fingers on SU free throws at the Dome. It was disturbing. DirectTV needs to do a commercial about what happens when grown men do spirit fingers.

I really don't get the argument over Cameron versus The Dome.
They are opposite ends of the spectrum.

Both are unforgettable venues.
Cameron is the best place I have ever seen a college game. It's as if you're part of it. Every seat.
The Dome - when packed - is the most amazing experience. It's hard to describe the enormity of the crowd and the sea of orange.

I started this as a comparison of the noise in each arena. I never said the world should choose the dome as a better venue just simply stated that is my opinion.

Bees... as Domestu pointed out, the issue is the size of the arenas. UConn provided us with only 75 tickets when the games were at Gampel. But when they were in Hartford, there were plenty of tix available. Louisville provided us with only 75 in their old arena; I can remember a game there when Devendorf's parents were bitching about the ticket situation. We were spoiled with the NBA arenas in the Big East. Not that way anymore.

Just because one holds more fans doesn't mean we have to give equal amounts of tickets. I don't even know what we gave Duke behind their bench. Hopefully it was 75.

My point was about the noise and atmosphere alone. Its certainly an extremely difficult place to play I just think the dome brings more to the table and decibel wise its much louder in a crazed dome than crazed cameron.

I'd just assume that since Cameron is smaller the sound has fewer places to go and it would be louder there. But I've never been to Cameron before.

Didn't ESPN do a decibel comparison Sat on Gameday and concluded that the decibel levels at Cameron and the dome would be just about the same' assuming a full house?

I'm just very thankful that we have the Carrier Dome. I understand the intimacy of Cameron, but I love that we have a large facility that can bring basketball to the masses. The 2010 Villanova game and this year's Duke game are experiences I will never forget. Still trying to forget the 2013 Georgetown one...

Part of why I love Syracuse basketball so much is having season tickets, attending games, and the routines and rituals that I do on game days. I couldn't imagine being a Duke fan and being in a situation where I might never get to see my team play UNC, or any other team really, on our home court.

orangedave said:
Didn't ESPN do a decibel comparison Sat on Gameday and concluded that the decibel levels at Cameron and the dome would be just about the same' assuming a full house?

Yes

We now play in a conference where gyms are on campus and the fanbases are multi-generational.

Anyone can go, it's just what you want to pay. Comparatively, in the good ole days you would by a ticket from some dude outside MSG and hold your breathe to see if it's real.