The Dome vs Cameron | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Dome vs Cameron

75 tickets. Hmmm.

I think it's safe to say that just about -- I said, just about -- every SU fan I know will never see SU play Duke at Cameron.
don't worry when coach K is gone no one will want to go play at that hole, and tickets will be as easy as BC

I said it

But we will never be rivals.

Saw way too many grown men doing spirit fingers on SU free throws at the Dome. It was disturbing. DirectTV needs to do a commercial about what happens when grown men do spirit fingers.
lol, I remember when I used to worry about stuff like this, I was in high school, grow up

can you still have fun?

Ive been at both. I went to Duke - UNC in 99 as my cousin is a Duke grad. Also went to SU- Uconn that year. While certainly "loud" in its own right, the impact it has on your senses is just not the same. And not to pick on the dome but having been to PSU football games and to the big house, both of which of course are not enclosed, its a similar delta in how it impacts you overall vs the carrier dome in football as the magnitude of more than double the amount of fans is an awe inspiring experience.

So as a fan I think the dome experience is better than cameron. As a player - the intimacy is much like in high school. Considering these players go to prep schools and play AAU etc more than playing in a crowded HS gym against bitter rivals I can see the experience being challenging for them and highly unique. That said for someone who grew up in a basketball nuts country town in PA , where we had a packed gym of 800 that was always loud, obnoxious and on top of the court, I would compare the player experience at Cameron as similar just obviously different in terms of magnitude of fans and in who you are playing. Sorry for not being so detailed before as I was having a bit of fun comparing via surround sound...

Oh and I had chalked up our first visit to cameron as unfortunately a loss due to these exact reasons. Kids who haven't played in those up close and personal experiences instead playing in front of recruiters and some parents in friendly gyms are in for a rude awakening. Our guys will likely be a bit shellshocked at first. I also think one of the reasons Gerry was comfortable from day 1 was helped by what he faced every road game in HS. Nearly every gym in Northeast PA was overflowing for his games hoping their team was the one to knock off Gerry and the top team in the state.

Ok so cameron has its lore. But I have the surround sound on watching duke wake and on one of the loudest moments in the game it was a puny high school like loud vs the wall shaking had my wife complaining noise from the dome saturday night. Advantage dome.

Cameron is a rinky dink little high school gym, with a few thousand nerd students who never watched basketball until they got to college and thus have no clue how to act. They're there to feel apart of something, but most of them don't "get" the game. The adults just sit there. The students jump up and down and yell "ohhhhhh" and look up information about the opposing team and then chant it. Big deal.

Our old buddy who indirectly helped us win the NC by going to NIT State, Julius Hodge, on Duke:

“There's no way I could let a guy with a 4.5 GPA, acne and bad breath decide the way I'm going to play on the court. Everywhere I go I get that, so that didn't make a difference.”

You need to contribute at least $7k per year to Duke for season tickets (that's the upper area behind the wall).

When I was at Duke, the entire lower area in front of the wall (which surrounds the entire court), was composed of:

a) the 2 side-court areas -- undergrads only (no tickets -- first come, first serve, and free (except for that whole tuition thing)
b) end-court area to the left side of the TV cameras -- grad students. This is still the case, and there will invariably be a couple of Cuse folks there
c) end-court area to the right side of the TV cameras -- the band, plus some other Duke athletes
d) floor seats on either end -- boosters and their families

The only area for visitors was essentially a 2-person buffer perimeter between the visiting bench and the Crazies. Usually this was occupied by family and a couple of VIP's

Now, since I graduated, and everything went to with our undergrad population, an entire side court area (the side away from the TV cameras) is no longer occupied by undergrads (normal students stopped going after the dork patrol turned it into a freak show), and most of what's behind the guest bench is folks from the visiting team, whereas the folks behind Duke's bench are family, friends, and celebs.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if Duke allocated more than 20 tickets to visiting teams when I was a student.

Remember -- even the broadcasters get a seat literally on the ceiling of the building, and the press row area (it's literally just one row) is immediately in front of the undergrads on the TV side. Reporters regularly walk out of there covered in sweat and blue paint.

It's a tiny place (which didn't even have AC when I was there -- thankfully, that has been fixed).

What the breakdown on fans in your average ACC game?? Percentage wise??

don't worry when coach K is gone no one will want to go play at that hole, and tickets will be as easy as BC

I said it
They had 4 final four appearances prior to Coach K and are one of the most established brands in sports, so I'm not so sure about that.

They had 4 final four appearances prior to Coach K and are one of the most established brands in sports, so I'm not so sure about that.
I was going out on a limb with that comment, you may be right, but teams like San Fran, Holy Cross, Dartmouth, CCNY... have been to multiple final fours but how are they doing today??

I don't even know what we gave Duke behind their bench. Hopefully it was 75.
It didn't seem like they made use of all of them.

does anybody here really think that football drives the duke athletics program ? becuz i see a certain hoops/football correlation success wise.

What the breakdown on fans in your average ACC game?? Percentage wise??

It's essentially all Duke fans in the upper bowl, with the very rare wife or husband that went to UNC/Wake/UVA/wherever. Very, very few folks end up selling their tickets on the secondary market for the bigger games.

Sometimes, for the lesser games, there will be some folks outside right before the game selling the odd extra ticket. I wouldn't expect that for Cuse.

I was going out on a limb with that comment, you may be right, but teams like San Fran, Holy Cross, Dartmouth, CCNY... have been to multiple final fours but how are they doing today??

Yeah, yours is a common misconception about Duke before K. Duke made it to a regional final the yr before K arrived, and had been in the National Championship game just 2 years before that, which makes it all the more remarkable that our then-AD Tom Butters stayed with K when he struggled the first few years in the league. Those other schools you mention had fallen off the radar long before that.

The 75 tickets is what everyone has to give to the opponent. I'm willing to bet that most folks on your board who went to the Providence, SJU, G'Town, etc., games didn't get them through the SU ticket office but rather through the arena box office, Ticketron, or an "entrepreneur" on the street. The Dean Dome in Chapel Hole was the biggest arena until this year (21,750). It's very highly unlikely that 4 or 5 thousand fans from any ACC opponent are going to get tickets there.

The 75 tickets is what everyone has to give to the opponent. I'm willing to bet that most folks on your board who went to the Providence, SJU, G'Town, etc., games didn't get them through the SU ticket office but rather through the arena box office, Ticketron, or an "entrepreneur" on the street. The Dean Dome in Chapel Hole was the biggest arena until this year (21,750). It's very highly unlikely that 4 or 5 thousand fans from any ACC opponent are going to get tickets there.

I don't know the current situation, but when we were in the conference, The Big East mandated that each school gave the opposition 225 tickets per game.

I don't know the current situation, but when we were in the conference, The Big East mandated that each school gave the opposition 225 tickets per game.

Wow! That many?!?!?!?! The two blue-clad teams in NC would never go along with a requirement like that. I have no idea how many UVa gives to their opponent.

SU played down at NC St back in Feb 2001 a group of us flew down to Raleigh on a Thursday night. Drove to Cameron on Friday to check the place out was able to just walk right into the arena. Really neat. Saw a couple players running on treadmills and later on walked into an elevator just as Coach K was walking out. Back then there were very little restrictions on where you could wander. We went right out onto the court and took pictures.

SU game was at noon on Sat. Wanted to get the whole tobacco road experience so after the Cuse game another guy and I drove to Chapel Hill scalped a pair of seats together for Georgia Tech @ UNC which was at 4:00. There were plenty of tickets floating around we got in for around $45 each.

Next day we drove up to Durham for Florida St @ Duke Sun afternoon game. Tix were extremely scarce cost us $100 each and we just ended up getting singles on the opposite end of the arena from one another. Definitely an experience seeing a game in there though. Once thing that stood out was that the students were packed in down low and rowdy but the rest of the arena was actually very laid back not sure if it is always like that or just because it wasn't a huge game.

Wow! That many?!?!?!?! The two blue-clad teams in NC would never go along with a requirement like that. I have no idea how many UVa gives to their opponent.

Well, when you have BE teams playing in pro arenas, you obviously have more seats to be made available.

They haven't had the 11 final fours and 4 NC's that Duke has had. If Duke drops off a cliff when K retires, then we should be mighty nervous. Our brand is no better (it's worse if you go by the numbers) and our coach is older.

How does Cameron compare to the old UVA arena? Ive been to a game there and it was similar capacity iirc.

My buddy was able to score 4 UNC/Duke tickets at Cameron Indoor back when I was in school. Don't know how he accomplished this but he had a lot of money. Great atmosphere, except for the being full of Duke fans part. ;)

I think Syracuse's atmosphere is more impressive to me as a fan than Duke's. It would be easy for a lot of schools (like Syracuse) to reduce their capacity to 9,000 and fill up all the time. Much harder to get 30,000+ people to attend your home games on numerous occasions.

It's essentially all Duke fans in the upper bowl, with the very rare wife or husband that went to UNC/Wake/UVA/wherever. Very, very few folks end up selling their tickets on the secondary market for the bigger games.

Sometimes, for the lesser games, there will be some folks outside right before the game selling the odd extra ticket. I wouldn't expect that for Cuse.
So, say 90/10 home fans to opposing fans?

Yeah, yours is a common misconception about Duke before K. Duke made it to a regional final the yr before K arrived, and had been in the National Championship game just 2 years before that, which makes it all the more remarkable that our then-AD Tom Butters stayed with K when he struggled the first few years in the league. Those other schools you mention had fallen off the radar long before that.
not a misconception, just an opinion that Duke could fall off after K

They haven't had the 11 final fours and 4 NC's that Duke has had. If Duke drops off a cliff when K retires, then we should be mighty nervous. Our brand is no better (it's worse if you go by the numbers) and our coach is older.
I understand the similarity with our situation, but we have NYC/Dome/Melo Center

How many did we give Duke in the visitors section behind their bench?
Bees, I was told that when the schedule came out Duke asked for a bunch of tickets. SU asked Duke how many they were going to give us to Cameron. When Duke said 75 we said then that is all you are getting from us. I believe we only gave Duke 75 tickets even though 35k were going to be there.