The Downside - Clemson | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Clemson

SWC75

Bored Historian
- This game will be compared to the 1984 Nebraska game. What people don’t remember is that we had three straight road games after that Nebraska game and we lost all of them to Florida, West Virginia and Penn State by a total of 13-57. This dissipated the immediate impact of the Nebraska game, which came to be seen as a freak thing. Just last year we followed up the great Virginia Tech win with a 0-54 performance at Clemson. The Nebraska game didn’t cause the 1987 breakthrough. That was the product of incremental improvements from week to week and year to year and a lot of hard work in recruiting. That’s what it will take this time, as well. It would sure help to beat Miami and Florida State this time around. But maintain this level of intensity is going to be difficult.

- I just listened to Dino saying in his presser that “We’re all banged up. We may not have enough strength for our next opponent.”

- We didn’t win this by playing a perfect game. We had a dozen penalties, including a delay of game before our first play in the first quarter. There was another delay of game coming out of a time-put. That unfortunate fumble by Strickland that produced a Clemson score allowed them to stay in the game. We didn’t eliminate our mistakes: we overcame them.

- The defense was fantastic – except on their two offensive scores. On those drives and those plays it didn’t look as if we could stop anything. They illustrated how dangerous Clemson is but if could stop the rest of time: why couldn’t we do it then?

- Steve Ismael has to battle both the D-backs and the refs. It looked like MMA back there. But he’s been called for OPI three times in the last two games and it’s cost us two touchdowns and a first down. Is he doing something wrong or are the refs interpreting it wrong.

- Steve and his mates need to work on their scramble drill a bit better. Dungey isn’t seeing anyone open when he scrambles and too often has to throw the ball away. A good receiver knows when his quarterback is in trouble and seeks to positon himself for an easy throw. Our guys seme to float around when Eric is on the run.

- Sterling Hofrichter has turned into a box of chocolates: you never know what you are going to get.

Never. I even wrote a downside when we won the basketball title.

Well that's a little silly but getting back to tonight's game. If you are going to do this, you didn't mention the worst play of the game for Syracuse. With 1:43, it's 3rd and 3. A first down wins the game. Instead of running a play, SU inexcusably gets called for a "delay of game" (this one was slightly worse than the one you mentioned as first play of the game). So instead of a fairly manageable 3rd and 3, it becomes a difficult 3rd and 8 against the #2 team in the country, with the prospect of blowing the huge upset. To make matters worse, SU still had 2 time outs left in their pocket, so could have have avoided the devastating, game-changing 5 yard penalty simply by calling a time-out. So I hate to bring this up on such a glorious night in the history of SU football, but you started the thread--so at least get the real downside listed if you are going to do it!

Only downside to me is losing Bradshaw. He and Frederick have improved so much as the season has gone along.

To have no downsides SU would have had to score on each possession and stopped Clemson 3 and out on every one of theirs. It was a wonderful game but there are still many works to be done. Let's add being beat up mentally and physically.

As for Ish...refs allow the D to grab and clutch him and when he shoves their innocent little hands away, he gets called. It's like they (refs) have a meeting before the game and say..."Watch #8's hands on passes.".

I think the biggest downside was listening to those cracker announcers. Ugh

The real downside:

Football games only last 4 quarters. It would have been a lot of fun to smoke them for even longer.

Great insight on the 1984 season. That was some schedule we had: Nebraska, Florida, Penn State, yikes. It wasn't out of conference because there was yet to be Big East football. We finished that year 6-5.

We lost to Rutgers the week before Nebraska 19-0.

Great insight on the 1984 season. That was some schedule we had: Nebraska, Florida, Penn State, yikes. It wasn't out of conference because there was yet to be Big East football. We finished that year 6-5.

We lost to Rutgers the week before Nebraska 19-0.

That offense wasn't that good. Went to that PSU game and Mac kicked a FG to avoid a shutout at the end.

worried about how they maintain after beating one of the best in the country.
Will the ego bump hurt them down the stretch?
Or can they keep their composure and win more games

Never. I even wrote a downside when we won the basketball title.

"Carmelo Anthony won't be coming back next year..."

That was a pretty short 'downside' but huge.

Well that's a little silly but getting back to tonight's game. If you are going to do this, you didn't mention the worst play of the game for Syracuse. With 1:43, it's 3rd and 3. A first down wins the game. Instead of running a play, SU inexcusably gets called for a "delay of game" (this one was slightly worse than the one you mentioned as first play of the game). So instead of a fairly manageable 3rd and 3, it becomes a difficult 3rd and 8 against the #2 team in the country, with the prospect of blowing the huge upset. To make matters worse, SU still had 2 time outs left in their pocket, so could have have avoided the devastating, game-changing 5 yard penalty simply by calling a time-out. So I hate to bring this up on such a glorious night in the history of SU football, but you started the thread--so at least get the real downside listed if you are going to do it!

There was a letter I was going to send to the local paper as SU appeared to be beating Indiana for the national title in 1987. I never got to send that letter, (no internet in those days). So, when we did win the national title, I updated the idea and posted it for my "downside":

"That Dave Bing, Richie Cornwall, Vaughn Harper, Rick Dean, George Hicker, Bill Smith, Kid Kohls, Mark Wadach, the Lee brothers, “Sweet D”, Rudy Hackett, Bug Williams, the original “Shack”, Marty Byrnes, Louie and Bouie, Danny Schayes, the Tricaptians, Sean Kerins, Pearl and the “A” Team, Ronnie, Greg Monroe, Howie Triche, “The General”, DC, Stevie and Billy, Dave Johnson, McNasty, Poetry in Moten, JDub, Otis Hill, Todd Burgen, Jay Hart, Etan, Blackwell and Shump were not on this team.

But then, they were. For without them and what they and the rest contributed to this program, this could never have happened. "

Smoke us? Huh...
Apparently you missed the game.

But after you discover the secrets of indoor plumbing, electricity, and basic dental hygiene, you should check it out.

You were outplayed in every aspect of the game.

Apparently you missed the game.

But after you discover the secrets of indoor plumbing, electricity, and basic dental hygiene, you should check it out.

You were outplayed in every aspect of the game.

You won by 3.

Not crazy about trash talking a fan base that has been nothing but classy, even in a loss. I was very impressed with how we played. It was no fluke, but Clemson is a great team and nobody is going to "smoke" them.

I want Clemson and Syracuse to win the rest of their games. Almost every Tiger fan I have spoke too has been polite and respectful and I have a lot of respect for the whole program from the coaches to fans. We SU fans have seen a glimpse of what could be and Clemson has what we fans want...a National Champion and class. As much as I'm not thrilled SU has to play them every year I am thrilled that SU has to play them every year. I hope they all had a safe journey home and see you next year in your den.

State the truth? Yes. I'm going to do that.

Ahhh, I was blissfully unaware it was still the 1700s in SC. That's for informing us all! Wait, that was hyperbole?

Guess it wasn't ALL the truth then, was it... since it was fairly obvious that's what I was referring to.

Ahhh, I was blissfully unaware it was still the 1700s in SC. That's for informing us all! Wait, that was hyperbole?

Guess it wasn't ALL the truth then, was it... since it was fairly obvious that's what I was referring to.
The sad thing is that it isn't the 1700's in SC. It only feels like it a disturbingly large amount of the time, which to quote you, is fairly obviously what I was referring to."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom