The Downside- Clemson | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Clemson

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Our problem going into this game is that we had a “Big Three who had scored 73 of our 86 points against Wake Forest and that we could not expect three guys to carry us to victory in every game. We needed more players to contribute. In this game we went in the opposite direction: the “Big Three became the “Big One”. Rakeem Christmas continue to play at an All-America level with 21 points on 10 for 13 shooting and 10 rebounds. His teammates shot 11 for 44 , scored 32 points and had 20 rebounds. (And much of that was after the game was decided.) We aren’t going to beat any ACC team with that kind of out-put. Rak can’t do it alone.

- Using Pat’s formula for “First Chance Points”, (Total points minus second chance points, fast break points and free throws), we scored 33 FCP (53-11-0-9) and so did they (66-21-0-12). The perception was that we were failing against their defense and they were succeeding against ours. But 10 of the final 13 point margin was in those second chance points. We got out-rebounded 30-40, although the offensive rebounds were only 12-23. Somehow they got an extra 10 points out of it. They must have bene more aggressive after their offensive rebounds while we tended to rest and try to set up a shot.

- We rebounded 12 of 39 misses: 30.8%. They rebounded 13 of their 31, 41.9%.

- Unless the box score on SU athletics is incomplete somehow, fast break points were zero for both teams. Modern basketball, circa 2015.

- Our three-point shooting, which had been a robust 38.9% since the 0-14 debacle against Holy Cross in game 6, deserted us. We were 2 for 15 in this one. Rod Hall basically swallowed Trevor Cooney (0 for 7 overall, 0 for 5 from the arc), whole.

- Michael Gbinije wound up in double figures with 11 points on 4 for 12 shooting but he had only 2 rebounds and only three of the points came in the first half when the game was decided.

- BJ Johnson and Ron Patterson were 0 for 6 and didn’t score. They are now a combined 34 for 129 on the season, ((26.4%), including 13 for 70 from beyond the arc, ((18.6%). Not much help there.

Last edited:
As bad as I feared. Ouch!! My finger ...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1598809-bigthumbnail.jpg

HA HA HA HA HA! I needed this laugh. Good night, sweet prince!

A Roberson rebound is a kick out instead of a put back. He is a garbage man that cleans up the trash by taking it back home instead of throwing it down the hopper. Reminds me of Alaskans that have front yards full of old 50 gallon oil drums. Clean that sheet up young man.

If Cooney goes 0 for from the field, he better have 5+ boards, or 5+ assisters or several steals. Unacceptable.

Trueblue25 said:
If Cooney goes 0 for from the field, he better have 5+ boards, or 5+ assisters or several steals. Unacceptable.

Or what?

He is by far the best we have. There are no other options. Everyone has bad days. One of best players on the team and he's had way more good games than bad. Trevor is the least of our worries

Cuse!

BJ and Patterson are a combined 34/129 for 26% sad to say, not 34/89.

2 downsides for me. The team seem to lack all effort in the 1st half. Even the announcers noticed that they just did not go after rebounds, giving up a majority of the 21 points they were down as 2nd chance points. This team is too limited to not have 100% effort. 2nd down sides, I used the same disc that had the WF game recorded on it record this one. I only recorded 2 hours worth so missed the last 30 seconds of regulation and the entire OT. IMHO, that was one of the more enjoyable and watchable games they have played in a while. To have erased that one for this debacle was a down right shame.

BJ and Patterson are a combined 34/129 for 26% sad to say, not 34/89.

Not sure what I was looking at but 34 for 89 seemed convincingly bad in its own right.

- Unless the box score on SU athletics is incomplete somehow, fast break points were zero for both teams. Modern basketball, circa 2015.

Just a thought... did we start this form of modern basketball?

Things have never been the same since we leaked everyone back and slowed down the ultra fast Kansas team in 2003.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom