The Downside - Colgate | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Jim Boeheim was sensitive about the subject in his press conference but we’ve given up 55 treys in our last five games. We’ve sunk only 23 in that time. If there was no arc, we’d have won this game by 21 points. We would have beaten Toledo by 16, not 8, Maryland by 10, not 2, lost to Kansas by 11, not 16 and beaten UCONN by 12, not 9. But there is an arc and we are at a significant disadvantage from out there. JB made the point that Colgate was just shooting threes and never got to the line, so we had an advantage from the foul line. We did, by 13 points. But they hit 7 more threes than we did. That’s 21 points. It did take them 35 attempts to get their 14 threes but that’s still 40%. A zone team with a 7-2 shot blocker should be able to extend to cover all their shooters. But we continue to leave guys open.

- JB talked about how Paschal has to get better at covering the corners. Many of Colgate’s threes came from there. But do you really want your center covering the corners, running over to trying to make a Warrick-like block? Or do you want your center defending the basket and just try to match-up with the other four guys? Last I counted, there are two corners. Even a 7-2 guy can’t cover both.

- Matthew Moyer are like two brothers and “Mom” likes one of them best. If Matt screws up early, the fair-haired child will be playing most fo the game. That’s what happened today. Moyer missed a trey and had a turnover early and played 8 minutes to Dolezaj’s 35.

- Boeheim was asked about Howard Washington, who played 5 minutes and sunk a trey and grabbed a rebound. He said that we can’t afford to play a three guard offense because it hurts our defense and rebounding by making us smaller at the forward position. He played Frank Howard and Tyus Battle 40 minutes each. Apparently, he doesn’t see HW as a back-up for his starting backcourt, (even against Colgate). He just sees him as the third guard and a three guard line-up that he doesn’t intend to use. “I know if I jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, that’s not going to be a good result. I don’t have to wait and see.” I wonder what went through Washington’s mind when he heard that.

Washington knows he's not better than Tyus or Frank - he lives that in practice every day.

But - I think JB is being his usual stubborn self not giving Howard a few spot minutes in each half REPLACING Frank or Tyus, instead of being on the court with them. They could use a little rest, and HW could use the run.
I feel like this is one of JB's few shortcomings, but we also know he's 100% about winning the game being played in that moment, not about developing players during games, etc.

This is about the time people will start to say, "JB can't play Player X all 40 minutes every game", to which JB replies, "hold my beer..." ;)

I think with Frank he was really allowing him to play through his mistakes and not yanking him. I do get that. Battle could’ve gotten a rest, though.

Remember when it was so unusual for a player to play 40 minutes? Now many of them do so. JB says they get lots of rest due to time outs. Hm.

I think with Frank he was really allowing him to play through his mistakes and not yanking him. I do get that. Battle could’ve gotten a rest, though.

Remember when it was so unusual for a player to play 40 minutes? Now many of them do so. JB says they get lots of rest due to time outs. Hm.
hes not wrong on that last part, being at the game at msg seems like there was a timeout or stoppage every couple minutes, and they all lasted at least a few mins so i can see how guys can catch their breath and not be exhausted....as a player id hate that, would seem hard to get into a rhythm, the tv timeouts are brutal while watching a game in person

hes not wrong on that last part, being at the game at msg seems like there was a timeout or stoppage every couple minutes, and they all lasted at least a few mins so i can see how guys can catch their breath and not be exhausted...as a player id hate that, would seem hard to get into a rhythm, the tv timeouts are brutal while watching a game in person
Between the time outs and the foul calls, “rhythm” may be in our rear view mirrors!

When I am watching at the Dome, after a time out I sometimes lose the thread and have no idea where in the game we left off. Takes my memory a few seconds prodding to get up to speed. Hate that.

Washington knows he's not better than Tyus or Frank - he lives that in practice every day.

But - I think JB is being his usual stubborn self not giving Howard a few spot minutes in each half REPLACING Frank or Tyus, instead of being on the court with them. They could use a little rest, and HW could use the run.
I feel like this is one of JB's few shortcomings, but we also know he's 100% about winning the game being played in that moment, not about developing players during games, etc.

This is about the time people will start to say, "JB can't play Player X all 40 minutes every game", to which JB replies, "hold my beer..." ;)
And round about February when their bodies start breaking down or they can’t get lift on their jumpers due to fatigue, JB will pooh pooh it...while the fan base goes ballistic.
No matter how many examples one can give, tough teaching an old dog new tricks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom