The Downside- Cornell | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Cornell

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Cornell was projected to finish third in the Ivy League. Does this highly competitive game mean we’d finish second? Or does it mean we’d finish third and Cornell would wind up fourth? In any case, what does this mean for where we’d finish in the ACC?

- Our defense was sometimes good, sometimes bad. Early on, we were allowing too many open three pointers and lucky that the Big Red missed them. Later, we extended the defense to cover the jump shots and Cornell blew by us for several lay-ups.

- The big news, of course is that Benny Williams didn’t play a minute. Per Brent Axe, he was seated before the game in the section of the ‘bench’ designated for players who “expect to play”. Later in the game he slept with thew fishes. Coach Autry in his presser simply said “This was a particularly hard game and I just played the guys I thought could help us win”. Ouch!

- Much of the post-game show consisted of Eric Devendorf pleading with Naheem McLeod to remember that he’s 7-4 and play like it. If he could just be “strong inside, it would set up so many things for his teammates”. Again Naheem didn’t have much in the way of bad stats but there are so many things he fails to do that don’t show up in the box score: rebounds and lose balls that he does little to contest, lay-ups he doesn’t block, plays where he get pushed under the basket or just backs off of players he is guarding, etc. etc. Due to his ‘soft’ play, we’ve got Maliq Brown playing center and Justin Taylor playing power forward, something that probably won’t work in ACC play.

- Kyle Cuffe came up short on a dunk and had a Cornell guard faceplant him on another. His leaping ability, which seemed so dramatic in his highs school tape, seems to be a thing of the past. He can’t shoot it but does. And he sets up nothing as a point guard.

Naheem = enigma.
Lack of mobility and soft play neutralizes much of his 7-4" advantage.
I remember how clueless Fab Melo was the first year. And he would get angry at Boeheim. Famous quote: “Fab, I’m just trying to help you!”

I don’t know why it’s so tough for really big men to figure out how to score but that seems to be a thing. Fab was fabulous his second year, but this year is already Naheem’s second year.

This team is a mess . . . it's got more holes than Swiss cheese.

Naheem = enigma.
Lack of mobility and soft play neutralizes much of his 7-4" advantage.

He's looked mobile at times this year, (especially when the opposing center is moving him out from under the basket). Devo wanted him to hold his ground.

I remember how clueless Fab Melo was the first year. And he would get angry at Boeheim. Famous quote: “Fab, I’m just trying to help you!”

I don’t know why it’s so tough for really big men to figure out how to score but that seems to be a thing. Fab was fabulous his second year, but this year is already Naheem’s second year.

Even Jesse wasn't much of an offensive threat as a freshman or even a sophomore. His first impact was on defense.

This team is a mess . . . it's got more holes than Swiss cheese.

I like Swiss cheese. But I don't like the holes. (Same with donuts.)

Unfortunately we are just a bad basketball team with one really good player.

McLeod seems to be a "ball watcher". He doesn't anticipate where a missed shot will come off and he doesn't go aggressively after rebounds. He stands and watches instead of reacting and going hard. What a shame. I guess even Leonard Hamilton couldn't break him of this habit.

McLeod seems to be a "ball watcher". He doesn't anticipate where a missed shot will come off and he doesn't go aggressively after rebounds. He stands and watches instead of reacting and going hard. What a shame. I guess even Leonard Hamilton couldn't break him of this habit.
Being 7-4” and playing like he does would be like if Meghan Fox became a nun instead of an actress

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom