The Downside- UNC II | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- UNC II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The last two minutes would have been comically bad if they were funny. We are up 68-58. Marek tries to go long with an inbound pass and pops it up. Buddy fouls and leaky Black hits one of two they get the rebound and Caleb Love gest some love from the rim on a three pointer. Griffin and Guerrier miss lay-ups but Alan gets the rebounds and is fouled. He mas two free throws to make it 70-62 with 1:06 left. Robert Braswell fouls Day’ron Sharpe who makes 1 of 2. Again the rebound sticks to the Tar Heels and they get just their 4th three, (of 20 attempts) in the game to make it 70-66 with 48 seconds left. Anything could happen. Braswell, instead of waiting for the defenders around him to foul him, tries a cross-court pass that gets intercepted with 24 seconds left. Love takes it to the distance to make it 70-68. Girard, who used to be a 90% free throw shooter but is now under 77% makes 1 of 2 free throws with 13 seconds left to make it 71-68. The current strategy is to foul and put the team down three on the line – but see how many seconds you can take off the clock first. Girard ignores that and fouls immediately. Fortunately Love missed both and a determined Joe gets the rebound and is fouled. He again makes 1 of 2 to make it 72-68 with 10 seconds left. Carolina gets a bouncing basket as the buzzer goes off. Waaayy too much drama for the end of a game that should not have bene in doubt.

- I called into the post-game show to ask Eric Devendorf to analyze Joe Girard’s free throw technique, which I think has kind of fallen apart. He just seems to flip the ball up there non-chalantly. Devo insisted that his technique was fine. “He could go out there and hit 100 in a row.” Steve Infanti suggested that he was “pressing too much and trying to aim it”. I think the opposite: he’s not trying to aim it at all. They both agreed that the problem is that he’s lost his confidence and kind of checked out mentally. I think that’s why his technique has deteriorated. I had hopes that he could become our new GMAC, at least in one regard: being our ‘closer’, the guy we want to get the ball in the last couple of minutes of a close game so he’ll get fouled and seal the deal from the line. GMAC was 88.8% for his career from the line but more like 99% in the last couple of minutes. Instead Joe has gone from 90% to 76%.

- With Quincy and Kadari both beaten up and the team as a whole having made such a great effort, what will this team have in less than two days when they play Clemson, who whipped us earlier this year in a 5PM game?

- Alan Griffin’s number is ‘0’ and that’s pretty much what he gave us tonight, going 1 for 10 and 0 for 6 from the line. To make a strong run at the end of a season, everybody has to contribute.

Haven't heard much said about our problems around the basket, in the first half. We got a lot of good inside opportunities but I think our first made lay-up came with about two minutes left in the half.

We make a few of those early opportunities and maybe we blow them out in the 2nd half. Not that being up 14 shouldn't have been enough to guarantee a comfortable win.

Griffin had that amazing chase-down block, but it never happens if he doesn’t get stripped just prior.

(but that was as much JGIII’s fault for giving him the ball in what was an immediate double-team situation)

But yeah - his shooting stat line made it look like he had money on UNC.
(Just kidding NCAA!!)

The AG that scored 20 in the first half a few games ago? I would like to be that lost.

Yeah he's not totally lost but there is definitely a bad AG and a good AG and you never know who will show up.

The AG that scored 20 in the first half a few games ago? I would like to be that lost.

Then he had to go to the bathroom...

AG and JG3 are both lost right now.
I don't worry about AG. He has had bad games before and come roaring back. The inconsistency of this whole team bothers me. Kadary was awful last game and solid last night. Same for Marek. Buddy has shown the most consistency over the last few games and even he was less than great against GT. AG was great against GT and terrible against NC.

I don't worry about AG. He has had bad games before and come roaring back. The inconsistency of this whole team bothers me. Kadary was awful last game and solid last night. Same for Marek. Buddy has shown the most consistency over the last few games and even he was less than great against GT. AG was great against GT and terrible against NC.
You make a very good point. I can't recall any previous SU suffering such an extensive rollercoaster season. Both game to game and even in game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom