The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
(with some items borrowed form the Upside just to balance things off)

- That game looked like the NC State game, the Wake Forest Game and the Maryland game most of the way- not a blow-out but a game we had control of all the way. Then we suddenly lost control of it. The Golden Gophers picked up some blitzes and we had a blown coverage and suddenly we were behind and had to figure out a way to pull it out at the end. Fortunately we did but I thought we might have been in for an easier time of it.

- I think the blown coverage was more Wilkes that Reddish. He’s the one they were talking about on the radio. Often the guy running after the receiver in the TV picture is not actually the one who blew it. A cornerback is in charge of the outside. He’s supposed to get help on the inside and on that play reddish got no inside help and the receiver was running away from him more than past him. He has top run after him and the fans blame the guy they see in the picture but I think it was Wilkes who was primarily at fault.

- It was a weird year. We were the only team in the country to not allow a runner to rush for 100 yards against us, (Cobb wound up with 91 yards). But there were games when we were simply awful on defense. Georgia Tech ran for 394 yards on us. Our leading receiver, Ashton Broyld, never scored. How often does that happen? How often do you have two place kickers injured? I’m kind of glad it’s over. I don’t want to know what the next weird thing will be.

- We finally completed a pass over the middle. Last year Nassib and Lemon lived over the middle. Why was everything to the sideline all year?

- We had 9 penalties for 53 yards. That gave us 99 penalties for 751 yards on the season. And so many of them were silly plays like false starts, many of them on third down. Coach Shafer preaches “control the controlables”. We sure didn’t.

- Come back Jerome! The NFL doesn’t care. You need another year to make them care.

- Wasn’t it yesterday that we heard about a guy named Jay Bromley who dominated an All-Star game in new York. Nobody knew about him but Doug Marrone convinced him that Syracuse was the place he should be? Does time fly that fast? Now that’s a guy who is ready for the pros. Look out NFL!

- The game was a battle of the 1959 and 1960 national champions- with different players. They were in similar uniforms to their 1960 team. I wish we were in similar uniforms to the ’59 team. That would have looked great.

- Just listened to Jerry Kill’s press conference. What a class act. Sorry we had to beat a guy like that. I hope he has a long and happy life and career.

no downside at all for me... what a win..huge springboard into next season!! WOW LEGOOOO

With our traditional uniforms, a game between the 1959 Syracuse team and the 1960 Minnesota team might have looked like this. Check out the SU unis in the 1960 Cotton Bowl:

and Minnesota in the 1962 Rose Bowl in my next post.

Couldn't find it in color, unfortunately:

Minnesota was in white for the 1961 Rose Bowl

Last edited:
We have the worst pooch punt coverage guys I've ever seen. They do know it's not a safety if it bounces into the endzone right?
Career long FG attampt on 4th&2...wow, really?

Oh well nice win, we looked like the better team.

That Jerry came on the field in the second half was amazing. I was sitting with a physician who said there was no way Jerry should be coaching anymore, much less at field level. Quite a rally event for his team and a big event for the Orange to overcome.

- The game was a battle of the 1959 and 1960 national champions- with different players. They were in similar uniforms to their 1960 team. I wish we were in similar uniforms to the ’59 team. That would have looked great.

didn't mind the shirts and pants, but those helmets are just plain ugly! Wish they'd go back to the solid orange helmets with the block S on them.
Funny that that was the helmet that was on the table during the press conference - it looks so much more like SU football than those 2 tone blue and orange helmets.

85SUAlum said:
didn't mind the shirts and pants, but those helmets are just plain ugly! Wish they'd go back to the solid orange helmets with the block S on them. Funny that that was the helmet that was on the table during the press conference - it looks so much more like SU football than those 2 tone blue and orange helmets.

Helmets= freaking awful.

Seriously, I'm good with needing to keep up with the times. We aren't Bama or Penn St. so we need to change something up because HS kids care very little (or not at all) for tradition. But our helmets...they should be constant and our old school helmets are freaking awesome.

44cuse

That Jerry came on the field in the second half was amazing. I was sitting with a physician who said there was no way Jerry should be coaching anymore, much less at field level. Quite a rally event for his team and a big event for the Orange to overcome.
Guy seemed like he was trying so hard to stay calm that he seemed out of it. Wonder if that is his demeanor normally, if he was consciously staying calm or if it is prescriptions . I'm glad he didn't keel over

For me, communication in the secondary was a giant issue year long. It was like Northwestern and Clemson on that one play over the top. The good news is that there is a full off season to fix it.

Guy seemed like he was trying so hard to stay calm that he seemed out of it. Wonder if that is his demeanor normally, if he was consciously staying calm or if it is prescriptions . I'm glad he didn't keel over

He just didnt look well. Was an odd pale over red color and looked shaky. I'm glad nothing happened but I thought he might just collapse as well.

He just didnt look well. Was an odd pale over red color and looked shaky. I'm glad nothing happened but I thought he might just collapse as well.

His cheeks were red with veins standing out. Scary.

His cheeks were red with veins standing out. Scary.

Right. Underneath translucent skin. I was legitimately concerned when I saw him on the sideline and wondered what would happen to the game if he had to be rushed out in an ambulence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom