The Duke Blue Devils will never be Syracuse's Rival | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Duke Blue Devils will never be Syracuse's Rival

Rivalries are organic . . . twenty five years ago, nobody in Syracuse thought of UConn as a rival, not even as a potential rival. Syracuse fans didn't get the message until the Huskies had passed us in most performance measures.

Duke will certainly be an eagerly awaited annual game, as will Louisville, but we'll have to wait and see whether anyone in the conference rises to the level of a UConn or Georgetown type rivalry. Maybe they all end up being Villanova.

I wish we never stopped going to St Bonaventure but $$ ended that. Sigh

Duke may never become a rival, but that doesn't mean we won't have big games against them. I really don't understand the angst over people being excited about that game. It is a huge game. Just because we have tshirts and a record crowd doesn't mean we are are begging them to be our rival. We don't look weak, we look like we understand history and that this is going to be a historic night. I forgot who said it,but in another thread it was pointed out that this game will be a seminal moment for college basketball fans. Seeing Duke play Syracuse in the Carrier Dome and Syracuse play Duke in Cameron is freaking awesome. I'm almost more excited to see SU play at their place with the Crazies.

But whatever. I feel bad for the people who are acting above the whole spectacle because it is supposed to be fun. The consternation of some of our fans is comical. I don't care if Duke or Louisville or UNC will never be rivals, I'm going to enjoy a lifetime of those games and look forward to the more than I've ever looked forward to Providemce or Seton Hall - two schools that probably consider us one of their top 3 rivals who don't register on our radar until a day before game day.

#1 student section in the nation.

I respected Duke as a program up until the ridiculous taunting of the NC St. player last year.

Now I only respect the respectable players, and Coach K's win count.

Duke may never become a rival, but that doesn't mean we won't have big games against them. I really don't understand the angst over people being excited about that game. It is a huge game. Just because we have tshirts and a record crowd doesn't mean we are are begging them to be our rival. We don't look weak, we look like we understand history and that this is going to be a historic night. I forgot who said it,but in another thread it was pointed out that this game will be a seminal moment for college basketball fans. Seeing Duke play Syracuse in the Carrier Dome and Syracuse play Duke in Cameron is freaking awesome. I'm almost more excited to see SU play at their place with the Crazies.

But whatever. I feel bad for the people who are acting above the whole spectacle because it is supposed to be fun. The consternation of some of our fans is comical. I don't care if Duke or Louisville or UNC will never be rivals, I'm going to enjoy a lifetime of those games and look forward to the more than I've ever looked forward to Providemce or Seton Hall - two schools that probably consider us one of their top 3 rivals who don't register on our radar until a day before game day.
Great post

Imagine a future season in which Jim Boeheim has announced that this will be his final year. As it happens, the final home game of the year is vs. Wake Forest, which disappoints a record crowd of 40,000 saying good bye to their beloved coach. After the game, a deliriously happy Jeff Bzdelik tells a courtside reporter that "The Jim Boeheim Era is officially over!"

Nobody woulda seen Wake Forest coming, but boom - Instant rival.

Along with their dumbass students throwing coins and sheet at the SU players. I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm more pumped for the UNC game. They're the better program than Duke both of all time and recently. UNC has won the regular season title in 5 of the last 7 years. Duke has won it once in the last 7 years.

No idea why the Duke game is getting so much more hype than the UNC game.

Last edited:
The Atlantic Coast and Kansas Conference (ACAKC). I don't know, it's kind of a tough acronym. I guess you could also include the "Shockers" in that conference.

People train doan run outta Wichitaw...

I'm more pumped for the UNC game. They're the better program than Duke both of all time and recently. UNC has won the regular season title in 5 of the last 7 years. Duke has won it once in the last 7 years.

No idea why the Duke game is getting so much more hype than the UNC game.

Duke is the better team this year plus the just put together a real nice class foe next year. Oh yeah they also have a better coach.

If you define rivalry as the biggest annual in season game for both teams regardless of record than a lot of you have a hard time facing reality. We no longer have a rival, an annual game of such importance that it is recognized as such by all fans regardless of won loss record in any given year. We do not even have a signed contract with Georgetown and they are likely not going to return to their glory days. There will be no more commercials featuring Syracuse and Georgetown fans. UCon might as well be on another planet. The Ville is consumed with Kentucky the same way that Duke is consumed with NCarolina. The Ville, NCarolina and Duke are the only teams worthy of being our primary rival and they are all spoken for. Beating us will be important to them but not as important as beating Kentucky or Carolina respectively. We have no geographic based rivalry. St Johns is no challenge to be the best team in the NYS. We will have competitive games with the Ville, Duke and Carolina but they will depend on relative strength not family feud. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news. The demise of the Big East has consequences. Throughout its long history no other team in the ACC has ever shown enough consistency to become our main rival and now that it is more crowded at the top it is even less likely that a consistent new power will arise.

The consternation of some of our fans is comical.

And annoying. Being dismissive of Duke or the Duke game is ridiculous and embarrassing to the overall SU fanbase.

The ACC is someone else's conference. We need to understand that first. Then we take the conference and the rivalries will come.

Until then, GT and UCONN are our rivals.

44cuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boeheim answered this question very nicely on that Centerstage show on Yes.
Michael Kay asked him who our big rival is.
I will shorthand the profanity Boeheim uttered by using the full name.
But his answer was an unhesitating, "G-town, G-town, G-town."

There's a difference between a rival you badly want to beat and with whom you have great -maybe even legendary - games... and the Arch-rival you live to hate.

We'll have some great ACC battles.
But c'mon athletic department...it's time to make a long term deal with G-town.
Keep hate alive!

GO ORANGE!

Just a question: How much will LAX rivalries determine a basketball rivalry? SU-Duke, DU-UNC, SU-UVA are naturals in LAX, will any of them overtake Louisville as a true school rival in BB?-VBOF

Rivalries are formed when teams inflict painful losses on another team in big game situations when there is something important on the line...such as a conference title or NCAA advancement. For it to become a big rivalry the pain inflicted needs to be both ways, that is each team has to be able to win some of the time it can't be one-sided. And it needs to be on-going with the teams meeting on a regular basis not once every several years. Our rivalry with Georgetown is going to fade out because we won't be playing them regularly, same with UConn. SU will form a new rivalry in the ACC but it's to be determined by circumstance. If we only beat Duke once every 5 meetings it will not be a rivalry. We'll see what develops.

I think Duke and Louisville will be Syracuse 2 biggest rivals similar to G-Town and UConn. Duke just landed two awesome players for next year and will have some players back although Parker will for sure be gone. The point is Duke is going to awesome next year as will Syracuse with McCullough coming in to go along with what we will keep after loosing CJ and I think Grant. Both of these teams will be top 5 teams next year. Louisville will also be good. I think the fact that Duke and UNC have their thing going will mean that Syracuse and Louisville will become primary rivals but we will see. It will be interesting because in 5 year most likely Boeheim and Coach K will be gone and Roy not too far after that so it remains to be seen who will continue the elite level of play. That will be your rival over time.

Excellent post! Sometimes fans forget that it is supposed to be fun. Additionally, the notion of "rivalry" also implies a history, to my way of thinking. "Instant rivalry" is much like "instant coffee"; it may be better than nothing, but it pales in comparison to the real thing.

You guys are missing the point. A rivalry of National significance has to have the same importance for both teams. We are not about to replace Kentucky to the Ville, or N Carolina to Duke. We may become their second biggest rival and they may become our biggest rivals but it will not be the same as it was for Georgetown when we were each others biggest opponent regardless of record coming into the game. The significance of our Duke and Ville games will depend on the respective records coming into the game. If either team is down the significance will be down. However, there will always be National significance when Duke plays N Carolina, the Ville plays Kentucky, or Army plays Navy, just as there used to be when we played Georgetown. Those days are over. We will have extremely important games but they will not be first rank ultimate rivalries.

Fof 73 cav- yesterday is gone. Duke and NC will be our biggest rivals from now on. For better or worse.
Wouldn't trade places with G-Town or UConn for anything.