The Duke Blue Devils will never be Syracuse's Rival | Syracusefan.com

The Duke Blue Devils will never be Syracuse's Rival

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
We've already embarked on the building of a rivalry that will be the headline of NCCAB for years to come. Granted we're off from it this year, until potentially a match in March.

The Louisville Cardinals are a much more formidable opponent than Duke.

Duke fans can chant "you're not our rivals" all they want.

Syracuse fans should chant "You're below us".

I am much more excited, and think it's much more realistic to continue the rivalry with Louisville.

Louisville is a better team. The only thing to me that makes Duke interesting is their coach. Otherwise they mite as well be NC St. with there ignorant, atrocious fan base.

Ok thats based on no games played. Brilliant!

Duke can be an exciting game. I think that all the hype is completely justified.

I just don't see them as ever being an arch rival, since UL is in the fold.

Rivalries choose themselves.

Well Duke will have to give us quite the excitement on the court this year to make them more important rivals than Louisville.

Louisville was the bane to our existence in the Big East since they entered the fold.

I don't care if Louisville is as good as the '96 Bulls going forward. They have never been, and in all likelihood never will be our rivals.

Our rivals are Georgetown and Connecticut, and I don't see conference re-alignment ending that.

I don't care if Louisville is as good as the '96 Bulls going forward. They have never been, and in all likelihood never will be our rivals.

Our rivals are Georgetown and Connecticut, and I don't see conference re-alignment ending that.

We don't know what conference realignment will do. We have no idea how being in the ACC will effect us going forward yet, and G Town has no idea how being in the new Big East will effect them yet. Uconn? they just have no idea.

I think this realignment provides us with a lot of possibilities.

we will no longer have a main rival. rivalries have to be two way. duke and the ville are already taken.

This is why it's a rivalry for me. Anytime we lose to Duke it will suck. Anytime we beat Duke it will be awesome!

But I will go even further. Any time any team beats Duke at home it makes me happy. I think Duke's home court is practically an unfair advantage for their team. Same thing with Pitt's home court. As I've said in other posts. Duke playing at Pitt and Pitt playing at Duke will hopefully be delicious justice.

I have no feelings about UNC. It was fun beating NC State on their home court two years ago. They will be out for revenge. I was at the game when Dwayne "the Pearl" Washington made his famous last second half court shot to beat the Eagles in double overtime. Still for me, the most unbelievable and exciting sports moment of my life. I would like to see Boston College become a rivalry again but they don't look so great nowadays.

We don't know what conference realignment will do. We have no idea how being in the ACC will effect us going forward yet, and G Town has no idea how being in the new Big East will effect them yet. Uconn? they just have no idea.

I think this realignment provides us with a lot of possibilities.
Ronald you are a very excitable lad and I applaud your enthusiasm.

I wish Kansas was in a conference with us. I've always thought that would make for a great rivalry.

The Atlantic Coast and Kansas Conference (ACAKC). I don't know, it's kind of a tough acronym. I guess you could also include the "Shockers" in that conference.

I have to agree that Syracuse will not be on the same level as UNC to Duke. We may be like a Maryland at best. But our main rivals are Georgetown and UConn.

I still hate Duke though.

I have to agree that Syracuse will not be on the same level as UNC to Duke. We may be like a Maryland at best. But our main rivals are Georgetown and UConn.

I still hate Duke though.

After our back to back national championships in March of 2015 and 2016 they'll respect us more.

before georgetown and john thompson "officially closed" manley it wasn't a real rivalry. after that statement IT WAS ON!
Before that game I never would have imagined that any team could be a bigger rival than the Bonnies. Ever. So you never know what might transpire in this new league.

TrueBlue, I believe you are right. The Ville is our natural rival! But we don't know what will happen in this new conference. Things can shift rapidly. Blood being spilled might hasten a rivalry. We can only hope.

Kidding kidding!

TrueBlue, I believe you are right. The Ville is our natural rival! But we don't know what will happen in this new conference. Things can shift rapidly. Blood being spilled might hasten a rivalry. We can only hope.

Kidding kidding!

I just envisioned myself leading a charge of SU fans into the Cameron student section.

Last edited:
UConn as our rivals?... still?? Georgetown will always be our historic rivals..no change there. I can see Louisville being in the place of UConn as a formidable rival.What Louisville provides EASILY replaces what UConn provided in terms of rivalry. Louisville's historic rival is Kentucky. Their conference rival is SU. UNC will always have Duke but I believe Duke and Syracuse will become quite the rivalry as the years go own..

Last edited:
Whatever rivalry emerges in our new league, I just hope we don't end up pathetically begging Duke to be our rivals.
If we beat them on the court, the rivalry will come, not before. JMHO

we will no longer have a main rival. rivalries have to be two way. duke and the ville are already taken.
You can have more than one rival. In the old days we had rivalries with Gtown, St. Johns, BC, Nova. UConn was not a rivalry until the mid 90s, really.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2