The Express | Syracusefan.com

The Express

Faegan

All Conference
One of the worst aspects of the Robinson era is that The Express was released during it. Thankfully the film lives on, but it still feels like a wasted opportunity. Can you imagine if it came out this season?

My hopes are lighting , AC , sound system
And jumbo screens are done by fall . We need an intro ... shut the lights .. and do something hot and our own ! Something the fans will want to be in there seats early for

One of the worst aspects of the Robinson era is that The Express was released during it. Thankfully the film lives on, but it still feels like a wasted opportunity. Can you imagine if it came out this season?
I know.

The flip, though, is that movie was close to all we had whenGRob was the coach. He was a nice guy. In fact, I’d still buy him a beer. But he was an awful coach.

And jumbo screens are done by fall . We need an intro ... shut the lights .. and do something hot and our own ! Something the fans will want to be in there seats early for
Those are later phases. Supports for new roof will be fine this coming summer. Roof in summer 2020. After that, me thinks.

Eh, it's an average movie. If you had someone do a bit better of a job on it I think it would've played better but to purposely change facts to fit a narrative of a movie is kinda a bad look.

A video montage of a loud train blowing its horn, rumbling down the tracks, a single train light shown on the jumbo Tron, the train gets louder and louder with Dino at the helm saying, “Orange Nation, jump on the Express”

Out of the tunnel comes our Top 10 ranked football team to the cheers of 40k plus packed into the dome...

Eh, it's an average movie. If you had someone do a bit better of a job on it I think it would've played better but to purposely change facts to fit a narrative of a movie is kinda a bad look.

Very much agree and it wasn't a story that needed to be "Hollywooded" at all.

Last edited:

And 1,000s of completions. :)

Like the news? :)

The filmmakers were as incompetent as the coaching staff at the time.

I know that making films is difficult. Even the best films have factual errors and goofs, but in The Express, Davis’ family is depicted watching the Cotton Bowl on a porch in Elmira. That is indefensible.

What I was curious about is Jim brown was here before Davis ... Didn’t he have the same issues ?

A video montage of a loud train blowing its horn, rumbling down the tracks, a single train light shown on the jumbo Tron, the train gets louder and louder with Dino at the helm saying, “Orange Nation, jump on the Express”

Out of the tunnel comes our Top 10 ranked football team to the cheers of 40k plus packed into the dome...

I still want “Welcome to the Terrordome” by Public Enemy played as they come out. Nike used it for a LeBron commercial recently, so more people will be familiar with it. It’s perfect. I still remember Mike Tyson using it as his entrance song to fight Razor Ruddock. Classic entrance!

What I was curious about is Jim brown was here before Davis ... Didn’t he have the same issues ?

That's one of the major flaws of the film. By all accounts, the Davis character in the film didn't reflect Ernie's personality. He was made into a hybrid Jim Brown/Davis character with the aggressive behavior toward Ben, etc.

People who knew Ernie insisted he overcame the ignorant haters with his essential goodness and grace. He was not the angry young Jim Brown.

But that was not what Hollywood needed.

Of all the things misrepresented in the film, that may have been the most egregious.

I still want “Welcome to the Terrordome” by Public Enemy played as they come out. Nike used it for a LeBron commercial recently, so more people will be familiar with it. It’s perfect. I still remember Mike Tyson using it as his entrance song to fight Razor Ruddock. Classic entrance!
I just listened to that as a reminder. Nah, I’m good.

I’d rather they play “We Will Rock You”
By Queen As the team runs onto the field. Then play “We are the Champions” after every score

The filmmakers were as incompetent as the coaching staff at the time.

I know that making films is difficult. Even the best films have factual errors and goofs, but in The Express, Davis’ family is depicted watching the Cotton Bowl on a porch in Elmira. That is indefensible.

where did they watch the game? where they there?

I get being mad about factual errors in a nonfiction biography. I understand wondering why some choices were made in this movie.

But movies do this *all the time*... It’s highly unusual for movies like this to adhere strictly to the facts. Stuff gets added or taken away to make a better story. If it was a documentary, less leeway could be taken or expected.

I liked it.

Been there, done that.

I’d rather they play “We Will Rock You”
By Queen As the team runs onto the field. Then play “We are the Champions” after every score

Ah, yes. Manley Field House. 1979. Except for that last game of the 79/80 season, a very good year.

Miracle comes as close to telling the real story as any big budget movie sports re-creation.

When I went to the movies to see it, I expected Ivan Drago to be the Soviet goaltender and the US to beat them in overtime using the Flying V.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom