The facts of 44 | Syracusefan.com

The facts of 44

SaltineWar

Scout Team
The facts:

Keeping 44 retired does no more to honor the greats who wore it than our tradition of bestowing it on worthy players.

Our 44 tradition was a unique institution in college football. We currently have no unique traditions.

44 was retired as a flashy move made by a newly minted athletic director, who had no concept of Syracuse football or our history, and wanted to put his stamp on the program.

The exact timing of the 44 retirement was to create a ticket-selling buzz in an otherwise historically dismal stretch of Orangemen football.

medium_restore44+syracuse.bmp

You are partially correct about it being retired "as a flashy move made by a newly minted athletic director...in an otherwise historically dismal stretch of Orangemen football."

However, we shouldn't forget that by the time of its retirement, #44 had lost its way. It was being used as a recruiting tool and was being given to undeserving players.

When it was retired, I didn't have issue with the decision. Its retirement has given the fanbase a chance to reflect about what the number really means. This number is our "All American"...it is our "Heisman". But more than that, it represents a standard of excellence we hold our players to.

This needs to be reinstated.

Truthfully I think keeping it retired is the way to go ... however treat it like they do 42 for MLB. If there is a senior or junior tailback that is exhibiting the excellence that comes with the history of that number then that particular athlete should be allowed to wear that number at homecoming. It should be an honor to the lineage ... for instance if Smith comes into homecoming with gaudy numbers and the team is winning and talk of the Doak award is being tossed around Smith should be allowed to don the number for the homecoming game.

The way I look at it is simple: there are more positives restoring 44 than there are negatives.

It is a great tradition for this historied football program, and they need to capitalize on it's potential.

I very rarely post...long time lurker...but I never understood just sticking a "44" jersey up in the "rafters" without referencing a spcific player. How can you honor the number without honoring the men who made that number significant in the fist place?? I don't get it. Who is it up there for? Brown?? Davis?? Little?? All three of them?? Maybe this was all covered when they put it up there, but in my opinion if it's up there for Brown, Davis and Little, then there should be three jersey's hanging with thier names on them. I think that would be more meaningful.

I'm also for letting a deserving player wear the number again. New recruit or deserving upperclassman, I really don't care. It was a great tradition.

You are partially correct about it being retired "as a flashy move made by a newly minted athletic director...in an otherwise historically dismal stretch of Orangemen football."

However, we shouldn't forget that by the time of its retirement, #44 had lost its way. It was being used as a recruiting tool and was being given to undeserving players.

When it was retired, I didn't have issue with the decision. Its retirement has given the fanbase a chance to reflect about what the number really means. This number is our "All American"...it is our "Heisman". But more than that, it represents a standard of excellence we hold our players to.

This needs to be reinstated.

Who was undeserving?

We have a unique tradition in college football...

We give a kid a #44 jersey and we demand hope that he turns into the next Jim Brown.

Maybe that's why nobody wanted to wear it anymore.

Maybe undeserving is too strong a word.

Looking back, I never felt Rob Konrad (FB) should've received the number. Don't get me wrong...he's an all time great. But if we were going to award it to FB's, shouldn't it have gone to Moose as well?

Board historians, correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Coach P use the #44 to lure Konrad to Syracuse? It was his high school number and he wanted it in college...or something like that.

I very rarely post...long time lurker...but I never understood just sticking a "44" jersey up in the "rafters" without referencing a spcific player. How can you honor the number without honoring the men who made that number significant in the fist place?? I don't get it. Who is it up there for? Brown?? Davis?? Little?? All three of them?? Maybe this was all covered when they put it up there, but in my opinion if it's up there for Brown, Davis and Little, then there should be three jersey's hanging with thier names on them. I think that would be more meaningful.

I'm also for letting a deserving player wear the number again. New recruit or deserving upperclassman, I really don't care. It was a great tradition.
I've alway felt the same. Syracuse does not "retire" numbers, but jerseys. I say throw three different 44 jerseys up there with Brown, Davis, and Little names on them. Then give it out to those deserving on and off the field as a an upperclassman. If no one deserves it, then it sits.

Thank you, and go Orange.

Looking back, I never felt Rob Konrad (FB) should've received the number. Don't get me wrong...he's an all time great. But if we were going to award it to FB's, shouldn't it have gone to Moose as well?

Board historians, correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Coach P use the #44 to lure Konrad to Syracuse? It was his high school number and he wanted it in college...or something like that.

I don't think anyone expect Johnston to become the player he did. Konrad on the other hand was a top recruit, and performed very well at SU when he wasn't hurt.

IIRC, Konrad asked for his old HS number, and it was available. There was no "luring".

I've alway felt the same. Syracuse does not "retire" numbers, but jerseys. I say throw three different 44 jerseys up there with Brown, Davis, and Little names on them. Then give it out to those deserving on and off the field as a an upperclassman. If no one deserves it, then it sits.

Thank you, and go Orange.

Excellent point! Donnie McPherson and Donovan McNabb will be here this season just to emphasize that point. As well as the late, great John Mackey.

Hail the jersey! Play the number!

I remember growing up playing pop warner and all the running backs at each level all wanted the number 44. 25 years ago I guarantee if you went to any pop warner organization in Syracuse, at any level, all of the running backs would be wearing 44. Same goes the High Schools at the time. It's kind of sad how the athletic department let the flare of 44 sizzle out. I can guarantee you that if you go to the same Pop Warner organizations now around Syracuse you won't find many running backs wearing 44, and the ones you do would be by coincidence. The youth these days have no idea the history, and importance this number had to the University. It's especially important right now since we are trying to reconnect with the youth around Syracuse getting them back interested in Syracuse Football. It definitely wouldn't hurt.

I think the retiring of 44 was done to get people in the dome for one shi**** game during the dark ages.

Get this number back on the field, would love to see Jerome lineup in the backfield against Ped State with the 44 across his chest. Bet he would go for 200 if they did this.

It's up there to honor the greatest of all Syracuse 44s, Glenn Moore.

...also...the physical "jersey's" hanging in the dome...at least on TV, look like they were made out of gaint garbage bags. I'm sure weight was a major consideration in the material choice, but come on, it looks really bad...and cheap...on TV anyway.

Truthfully I think keeping it retired is the way to go ... however treat it like they do 42 for MLB. If there is a senior or junior tailback that is exhibiting the excellence that comes with the history of that number then that particular athlete should be allowed to wear that number at homecoming. It should be an honor to the lineage ... for instance if Smith comes into homecoming with gaudy numbers and the team is winning and talk of the Doak award is being tossed around Smith should be allowed to don the number for the homecoming game.

I respectfully disagree.

Val Pinchbeck and the SU Athletic administration in 1958 decided specifically NOT to retire the number.

They agreed that the number should be a living tribute to Jim Brown - that was the tradition established by Syracuse University.

I believe that their approach should be reinstated - give the number to a promising recruit - a clearly special player.

That will restore what is one of college football's greatest traditions.

Looking back, I never felt Rob Konrad (FB) should've received the number. Don't get me wrong...he's an all time great.

This logic doesn't make sense to me. If he's an all-time great and a RB (yes, FBs are RBs), then why don't you think he should've worn 44? To me, that's the combo you look for.

Who was undeserving?

I agree.

Glen Moore, Michael Owens and Rob Konrad were all worthy.

At the time it seemed that Mandel Robinson was also worthy - he was being pursued by the likes of Michigan et al.

The great thing about #44 was that it was a tradition, not just history.

Syracuse has almost ZERO traditions left, and we purposefully killed a great one off. And cynically, it sure appeared to be done to goose ticket sales for a crappy USF game in a lost season.

I don't even care who wears it, I just want to see the damn thing on the field again.

This logic doesn't make sense to me. If he's an all-time great and a RB (yes, FBs are RBs), then why don't you think he should've worn 44? To me, that's the combo you look for.

Found this article from 1998 Miami Sun Sentinel: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1998-12-31/sports/9812280444_1_jersey-number-injuries-high-school

Konrad's No. 44 His No. 1 Problem
FED EX ORANGE BOWL
December 31, 1998|By MIKE BERARDINO Staff Writer
MIAMI - — Rob Konrad never asked for the comparisons. lie never asked Syracuse football followers to chart his every move, obsess over each injury, fret over the decoy status he often assumed in the Orangemen's egalitarian offense.
He never demanded a place alongside Hall of Famers Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd lAttle on the Mount Rushmore of college football in snowy Central New York.
All Konrad did was ask to keep the jersey number he wore in high school: 44. He liked the way it looked when stretched across his broad back. He chose it as a tribute to a pair of his early football heros, Tom Rathman and Tommy Vardell, powerful fullbacks who wore the same number and played his kind of game.
The minute Konrad pulled No. 44 over his pads at Syracuse, his life changed.
"It's like a lightning rod," says Bob Konrad, the player's father. "When you wear No. 44 at Syracuse, everybody's looking at you under a microscope, as much off the field as on."
The university zip code at Syracuse is 13244, changed several years ago from 13210. A decade ago the university phone prefix was switched from 423 to 443. A popular student hangout is a bar called "44's."
Brown, Davis and Little wore No. 44. So did '60s running star Jim Nance. Terry Richardson, a former star at Northeast High, wore No. 44 in the early 1990S.
Has Konrad been 44-caliber? In some ways, yes. In others, no. He would be the first to admit that.
Saturday night in the Orange Bowl Classic against Florida, Konrad completes an uneven senior season and a college career that has tantalized more often than it has delivered, frustrated more than it has satisfied.
Pro scouts view him as a likely firstrounder next spring, but gaudy statistics have nothing to do with that esteem.
Blame it on numerology. Only the 10th player since 1954 to wear No. 44 for Syracuse and the first fullback so honored, Konrad finds himself facing an uncertain legacy.
With 11 more total yards, Konrad will reach 2,000 for his high-profile career. So much more was expected of the kid who was everybody's All-American out of St. John's Prep in North Andover. Mass. So much more was predicted for the kid who dared to wear that hallowed jersey number.
"A lot of people talk about the pressure," says Konrad, who has met with Brown and Little on several occasions. "Regardless of what number I wore, I was going to come here and do the best I could. If that wasn't good enough, so be it. I can't do any more about it."
There is resignation in his voice, a weariness that his wan smile cannot mask. These past four years have not been the joy ride he must have imagined when he committed to Syracuse in the spring of his junior year in high school.
Injuries caused him to miss five games as a Syracuse junior, including the Fiesta Bowl loss to Kansas State. Konrad suffered broken ribs in a freak collision with a teammate. Later, he underwent season-ending surgery to reattach a tendon that had ripped free from his left knee.

I guess the thing that irks me is that any other year, Konrad would have been another highly touted recruit. Because he wanted #44...and because it was available...it was given to him. I just didn't think he received it for the right reasons

I wonder, if the number 44 was active, would SU have given the number to Averin Collier?

This is from a Michigan web site regarding their tradition for the #1 jersey:
--------------
The most coveted jersey number in Michigan football lure, the #1 has been worn by a total of 12 players during the 130-year history of the program. Three-time All-American Anthony Carter made the number popular when he wore the jersey during his player career (1979-82), and the #1 sweater has been given to a wide receiver five times since Carter adorned the number.

Anthony Carter

Player Position Years Worn
Angus G. Goetz LT 1919-20
Robert Jerome Dunne G 1921
Paul G. Goebel E 1922
Harry Kipke HB 1923
Dave Whiteford DB 1973-75
Gregg Willner PK/P 1976-78
Anthony Carter WR 1979-82
Greg McMurtry WR 1986-89
Derrick Alexander WR 1990-93
Tyrone Butterfield WR 1994-96
David Terrell WR 1998-2000
Braylon Edwards WR 2003-04
------------------------------

To my eye, in the modern era, only two of those players really stand out. And obviously there are gaps in there where they did not give out the number.

I not know if they use it as a recruiting tool or not. It would seem like they hold it for "The Guy" when they think they've got him. I would like to know more about how they handle the number if anyone knows.

But I'm coming around 180 degrees on the #44 at SU. I had been of the opinion, that if it wasn't working as a recruiting tool, then set it aside as an honor for past glory. I'm now of the opinion that it could be handled carefully, given out selectively now and then. However, I am opposed to just giving it out to an upper classman who has had success. I don't want guys changing to the number 44. Save it for a really special talent who is willing to take the challenge. Let Little, Brown, HCSS, and perhaps a select group of past 44 wearers decide if its to be given out or not.