The foundation was laid today | Syracusefan.com

The foundation was laid today

ImperialOrange

Living Legend
Saw some back and forth, as always, about recruit rankings today but this was a very big class for us in ways stars can't always quantify. Example: A four star thumper of an sec mlb doesn't fit a cover 2. Yes we've got the standard mix of better and lessor knowns from the recruiting sites BUT we just landed a class full of players that fit exactly what our systems needed. There's no reaches, there's none that are glaring projects, AND they should all make it to campus. Whens the last recruiting class that checked those three boxes?

Here's my 11:11pm quick takes.

High ceiling qb that can throw the entire route tree, extend plays with his feet, has great down field vision, and seems to be a natural leader. Fun thing is he won't be required to play early because we've got a stud qb ahead of him.

Size matters... and we just got 3-4 inches taller at every single spot in the secondary. That alone will tighten windows but oh by the way these guys all have ball skills as well.

These aren't all kids. Yes the hs kids do look a bit more physically advanced than years past which is a plus. However, between jucos, transfers and the Canadian guys we've got over a half dozen kids that will hit campus 20 or older. We needed more physically and mentally mature players and we got em.

We somehow filled glaring needs with said older/more experienced players too. We didn't have a pass catching TE of note last season... we do now. Our secondary was too small and numbers too low. Reinforcements en masse there. Pass rush from the edge? Would've been nice last year, will be an actual thing this year. Excited to see what our returning inside linemen can do when not eating double teams all game... I'd guess bcubs could vouch that they are as well.

Lastly versatility to really run our offense. No more square pegs with this group. We added thunder, lightening... and a mac truck in the back field. We added 2 doses of video game speed in the slots, along with 2 rangy go get it guys on the outside.

We've successfully addressed all of the glaring holes in the depth chart with this recruiting class today and we've still got some names to add before Spring ball starts.

Can't wait to see this group on the field mixed with our returning core group of talented players. I fully expect a more complete product that will show much more of the coaches vision on the field this season.

As always, Go Orange!

Saw some back and forth, as always, about recruit rankings today but this was a very big class for us in ways stars can't always quantify. Example: A four star thumper of an sec mlb doesn't fit a cover 2. Yes we've got the standard mix of better and lessor knowns from the recruiting sites BUT we just landed a class full of players that fit exactly what our systems needed. There's no reaches, there's none that are glaring projects, AND they should all make it to campus. Whens the last recruiting class that checked those three boxes?

High ceiling qb that can throw the entire route tree, extend plays with his feet, has great down field vision, and seems to be a natural leader. Fun thing is he won't be required to play early because we've got a stud qb ahead of him.

Size matters... and we just got 3-4 inches taller at every single spot in the secondary. That alone will tighten windows but oh by the way these guys all have ball skills as well.

These aren't all kids. Yes the hs kids do look a bit more physically advanced than years past which is a plus. However, between jucos, transfers and the Canadian guys we've got over a half dozen kids that will hit campus 20 or older. We needed more physically and mentally mature players and we got em.

We somehow filled glaring needs with said older/more experienced players too. We didn't have a pass catching TE of note last season... we do now. Our secondary was too small and numbers too low. Reinforcements en masse there. Pass rush from the edge? Would've been nice last year, will be an actual thing this year. Excited to see what our returning inside linemen can do when not eating double teams all game... I'd guess bcubs could vouch that they are as well.

Lastly versatility to really run our offense. No more square pegs with this group. We added thunder, lightening... and a mac truck in the back field. We added 2 doses of video game speed in the slots, along with 2 rangy go get it guys on the outside.

We've successfully addressed all of the glaring holes in the depth chart with this recruiting class today and we've still got some names to add before Spring ball starts.

Can't wait to see this group on the field mixed with our returning core group of talented players. I fully expect a more complete product that will show much more of the coaches vision on the field this season.

As always, Go Orange!
Great write up. Like you said - looks like all will make it to campus. Appears to be a solid class of ACC level players. This year the staff had the ability to begin recruitment of the next class, something they did not have time to do last year, so will be interesting what that class will look like. Six wins, including a signature win would be nice for recruiting purposes.

Great write up. Like you said - looks like all will make it to campus. Appears to be a solid class of ACC level players. This year the staff had the ability to begin recruitment of the next class, something they did not have time to do last year, so will be interesting what that class will look like. Six wins, including a signature win would be nice for recruiting purposes.

Confidence is a crazy thing. If we come out 3-0 to start and remain healthy (looking at you Dungey, oline PLEASE help this man out!) we've got enough talent and creativity to be a real pain in the ... and surprise some teams.

But hey... it's not their fault, they didn't know.

As always, Go Orange!
excellent write up.although i do not agree with much of it.i do like the maturity factor and recruiting canada. this is below average class with many projects. again hopefully dino will coach up,as at this point he is not getting wow factor help from the administration, in terms of dome renovation. i am not a fan of selecting players for a system. i am a fan of getting the best athletes we can get and put them in a system. we have seen the mack truck backs before. w/o a ol, they r vw bugs.-- we need at least 2 signature wins to make a dent in recruiting.
if we get those wins and dino stays, with his persona and the mythical dome renovation we will get better classes.

excellent write up.although i do not agree with much of it.i do like the maturity factor and recruiting canada. this is below average class with many projects. again hopefully dino will coach up,as at this point he is not getting wow factor help from the administration, in terms of dome renovation. i am not a fan of selecting players for a system. i am a fan of getting the best athletes we can get and put them in a system. we have seen the mack truck backs before. w/o a ol, they r vw bugs.-- we need at least 2 signature wins to make a dent in recruiting.
if we get those wins and dino stays, with his persona and the mythical dome renovation we will get better classes.

Based upon what? I'm not trying to pitch kool aid, but according to 2-4-7 every player in the class was a three star. I don't see ANY projects in this bunch, nor any reaches.

Who are the projects?

Who are the projects?
I agree the one thing that struck me about this class was the lack of projects like we have seen before. Although beyond Fagan and Devito this class lacked the star power, all look like contributors. That is one thing that always bothered me about previous classes, their may have been a few good players but always 5 to 6 projects that usually were reaches. Don't see that with this class. I look for this to be the norm going forward with a few more 4 stars mixed in. Can't wait.

From my nose bleed view I see two reaches, Berry and Elmore. But both could surprise and others could flame out. Always happens.

To the layman the obvious projects are the Canadian kids but...

I LOVE kids offered in camps. The lineman from Canada, Syracuse viewed him twice. Once at the Old Dominion satellite camp and then they got him to attend the Syracuse camp. They offered him at the Syracuse camp, which you can assume they put him through a vigorous workout. My impression was they are really high on him.

Tyrell Richards, he’s the only kid they mentioned as having NFL potential. Having viewed him at their camps.

Rvls has Patrick Davis as our lowest rated kid 2 star 5.2 and Richards as a 2 star 5.4

And Rvls also has Harper as our lowest rated kid 2 star 5.2. Kid had 5 or 6 P5 offers.

Then they have the MD linemen Dakota Davis a 2 star 5.4. This is a kid who was 1st Team All State on one of Maryland's most dominant running teams; and has a reputation of being nasty. IDK.

Last edited:
From my nose bleed view I see two reaches, Berry and Elmore. But both could surprise and others could flame out. Always happens.

I LOVE kids offered in camps. The lineman from Canada, Syracuse viewed him twice. Once at the Old Dominion satellite camp and then they got him to attend the Syracuse camp. They offered him at the Syracuse camp, which you can assume they put him through a vigorous workout. My impression was they are really high on him.

Tyrell Richards, he’s the only kid they mentioned as having NFL potential.

Richards is already 6-3 220. Sounds like he'll quickly get to 6-3 235. Size. Hopefully he can read the game and has lateral speed.

Richards is already 6-3 220. Sounds like he'll quickly get to 6-3 235. Size. Hopefully he can read the game and has lateral speed.

there's some camp clips floating around where you can watch him run. Kaufman said he was lining up in defensive back drills at a camp. I think his lateral speed might be ok.

Watch the Kaufman's tape again. "Elite size", "NFL potential".

every site rates the kids different, ESPN has it as the best group in years, others dont.

Read: not enough NJ kids.

I'm still shocked that Pierre (RB) didn't blow up. He ripped through his last 3-4 games in one of the toughest districts in FL. He's got size. Maybe not breakaway speed? I dunno.

I do know that he'll be given every chance to see the field, maybe as the starter. (Still holding out hope for Gus).

I'm still shocked that Pierre (RB) didn't blow up. He ripped through his last 3-4 games in one of the toughest districts in FL. He's got size. Maybe not breakaway speed? I dunno.

I do know that he'll be given every chance to see the field, maybe as the starter. (Still holding out hope for Gus).
Word is Pierre does have break away speed but maybe not the wiggle that a guy like Stritz has.

Word is Pierre does have break away speed but maybe not the wiggle that a guy like Stritz has.

Whatever coach did the Pierre signing vid said that he has 10.9 100 meter speed. THAT can't be right but that's what he said. Maybe he mixed up Sharod Johnson who has a personal record 10.98 100 meter, IDK?

Here's the Orlando Sentinel dish on Pierre:

CENTRAL FLORIDA SUPER 60 - #6
FLORIDA TOP 100 - #57

THE BUZZ – “Pierre is one of the most prolific running backs in Central Florida history and he went over the 5,000-yard mark for his career in his final game. The knock on Pierre and Liberty is that the Chargers don’t play anybody, but it’s not like any other running backs went out and put 5,000 yards on those teams.”

1ST TEAM FLORIDA ALL-STATE RUNNING BACK CLASS 7A

My take - Mike Hart as we know put up ungodly numbers in NYS section 3 class D while Tim Washington tore up the CT state records with an obscene amount of yards, something like 7,000+.

Lets hope that Pierre ends up more like Mike Hart and less like Timmy Washington.

Whatever coach did the Pierre signing vid said that he has 10.9 100 meter speed. THAT can't be right but that's what he said. Maybe he mixed up Sharod Johnson who has a personal record 10.98 100 meter, IDK?

FLORIDA TOP 100 - #57

THE BUZZ – “Pierre is one of the most prolific running backs in Central Florida history and he went over the 5,000-yard mark for his career in his final game. The knock on Pierre and Liberty is that the Chargers don’t play anybody, but it’s not like any other running backs went out and put 5,000 yards on those teams.”

My take - Mike Hart as we know put up ungodly numbers in NYS section 3 class D while Tim Washington tore up the CT state records with an obscene amount of yards, something like 7,000+.

Lets hope that Pierre ends up more like Mike Hart and less like Timmy Washington.

Hart was the one who said that he's got 10.9, 11.0 100 meter speed.

FLORIDA TOP 100 - #57

He is listed at 220lbs which is significantly bigger than anybody currently on the roster. I think he'll be much better than TW and hope his contributions are similar to those of MH.

Look - if Strickland was able to bowling ball VaTech's guys late in the game - just think what this kid will do. Powerback is huge in the offense. Tired D's arm tackle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom