The Four Best Teams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Four Best Teams

Bama is not in the party this year. I'm a bama fan too, they are not in the top 4 period. The whole tank for tua is comical, he will not be a winning nfl QB.
tua played very well yesterday. you saw the drops ? lefty dude is the real deal.

give you 8 and then 9-12 bitches. so next you need 16. etc.etc...
4 teams is plenty. in fact 2 too many for the purists.
Football should do 64...oh wait that isn't fair. How about 68 with a couple play in games?

Week 1 of the playoffs is the CCGs. If you make week 2 teams 4-6, week 3 the semis, and week 4 the final, is that not enough? Why do we need more than 4 rounds?

Why? Why have the G5 teams in the playoffs? Why have at large teams? Why have 16? What is the point? Because people like playoffs?

Why G5 Teams?
IMO, if you are willing to fund a football program at your university, then you should have the following statement be true: If we beat everyone who is put in front of us, we are the national champions.

Why have at large teams?
To counter balance the auto-bids. If we go to five at-large bids, the balance of power in the playoffs will be to teams that are very good. Just like in March Madness. The small teams theoretically have a shot, make it fun, but the balance of power is to the P5 teams.

Why have 16?
There are 130 FBS teams. I don't think 12% of all teams making the playoffs is a high percentage. Compare that to other major American team sports, including March Madness.

What's the Point?
Fundamentally, you are saying that if you are willing to field the team, we will structure it so that if you go undefeated, you are the national champion.

Because people like playoffs?
Is no playoffs and two polls voted on by coaches and journalists a better way to declare a national champion than playing on the field? I don't think so.

One note, I was wrong in my initial comment, there are 10 conferences. So you can do either 10 conf champs + 2 at-large bids or 6 at-large bids with byes. Either way, top four get either a one round bye or two round bye.

Also, if we can stop pretending that schools and fans really care about the student part of football players' lives, let's at least maximize the profit that can be made, make more money for everyone (including the players) and set up a real playoff. No top draft pick is going to play in meaningless bowl games more and more frequently. Let's make real change, give everyone at least a theoretical shot and make it one of the most fun four weeks in all of team sports.

An 8 team playoff would make me lose interest in anything outside of ACC games. Why watch LSU vs Bama if both teams are locks for the playoff? With a 4 team playoff we just saw a de facto playoff game! I could live with a 6 team playoff, but even that is a stretch. At large bids should be a rare reward for very good teams. They should not be norm let alone have 3-4 of them. That makes no sense. There aren’t 8 deserving teams. And do you really think people won’t bitch would is number 8 vs 9?
"Why watch LSU vs Bama if both teams are locks for the playoff?"
Because it is a good game maybe? I have never bought into the whole "the game means nothing" concept. People will watch 2 good teams playing each other and Alabama right now is 1 school that people will watch in hopes that they lose.

Why G5 Teams?
IMO, if you are willing to fund a football program at your university, then you should have the following statement be true: If we beat everyone who is put in front of us, we are the national champions.

Why have at large teams?
To counter balance the auto-bids. If we go to five at-large bids, the balance of power in the playoffs will be to teams that are very good. Just like in March Madness. The small teams theoretically have a shot, make it fun, but the balance of power is to the P5 teams.

Why have 16?
There are 130 FBS teams. I don't think 12% of all teams making the playoffs is a high percentage. Compare that to other major American team sports, including March Madness.

What's the Point?
Fundamentally, you are saying that if you are willing to field the team, we will structure it so that if you go undefeated, you are the national champion.

Is no playoffs and two polls voted on by coaches and journalists a better way to declare a national champion than playing on the field? I don't think so.

One note, I was wrong in my initial comment, there are 10 conferences. So you can do either 10 conf champs + 2 at-large bids or 6 at-large bids with byes. Either way, top four get either a one round bye or two round bye.

Also, if we can stop pretending that schools and fans really care about the student part of football players' lives, let's at least maximize the profit that can be made, make more money for everyone (including the players) and set up a real playoff. No top draft pick is going to play in meaningless bowl games more and more frequently. Let's make real change, give everyone at least a theoretical shot and make it one of the most fun four weeks in all of team sports.

That is so millennial. I rather the P5 have its own division. I want less inclusion not more. Having a multi loss G5 team access to get hot and win would kill the sport. College BBall is ruined by Cinderellas. It makes for bad final fours.

Increasing the number of teams in the playoff increases the possibility of having G5 teams in the playoff. That is exactly what the P5 ADs do not want. No matter how much the press and fans clamor for increasing the size of the playoff, it will not happen because the P5 does not want to share the wealth with the G5 more than they already do. The conference championship games are looked upon as cash cows and what could be considered as the first round of the playoff. They're not going away.

Why G5 Teams?

Why have at large teams?

Why have 16?

What's the Point?

This would be excellent IMO, so I'm in complete agreement. The FCS has a 16 team playoff and somehow, someway those "student athletes" who don't have 1/2 the amount of resources, advantages, etc. provided for them do it. So, I guess all of the "student athletes" at the FBS level are categorically inferior academically than their brothers at the FCS level, since they can manage the rigors of academia, again with half the perks.

Most of the conference championship games are finished a month ahead of when the 4 team playoff starts. In my view, this is all about maintaining the status quo, keeping the all of the power, wealth, etc. at the top. It very much parallels America's present day climate/economic culture, etc. relative to same.

Increasing the number of teams in the playoff increases the possibility of having G5 teams in the playoff. That is exactly what the P5 ADs do not want. No matter how much the press and fans clamor for increasing the size of the playoff, it will not happen because the P5 does not want to share the wealth with the G5 more than they already do. The conference championship games are looked upon as cash cows and what could be considered as the first round of the playoff. They're not going away.

100% accurate.

if you ask me to pick the best 4 teams in any given year i might not be perfect but i'd be damn close. ask 200 more knowledgeable people to pick the best 4 teams and cull the results and i'm pretty sure you got your answer. we do not need another round of bowl games. and now let's talk about injuries another game invites...

if you ask me to pick the best 4 teams in any given year i might not be perfect but i'd be damn close. ask 200 more knowledgeable people to pick the best 4 teams and cull the results and i'm pretty sure you got your answer.

If this was Horseshoes, that would be great... :)

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Clemson
4. Oregon/Alabama

If they tiered the playoffs, I could see you including the G5. So you have the 10 conference champs and 2 at larges for a 12 team playoff. Using last year as an example:

Final Four
1. Bama
2. Clemson

Last 6
3. ND
4. Oklahoma

Last 8
5. UGA
6. Ohio State

2nd Round
7. UCF
8. Washington

1st Round
9. Fresno State vs 12. UAB
10. App State vs 11. Northern Illinois

You give the little guys a chance but make them have to really earn it. If they win 6 games then tip your cap. It also protects the P5 financially. The bigger games have bigger payouts.

In my ideal world the P5 schools would break away and go back to the old seven conferences but with 10 teams each. That gives you 70 schools. The CCG winners plus one at large make up the playoff.

SEC minus Arkansas and South Carolina

Big 8 plus Utah and BYU

B1G minus Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland

P12 minus Colorado and Utah

ACC minus Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, ND, VA Tech, Louisville and plus old ACC MD and South Carolina

Big East current P5 teams plus Penn State

SWC current P5 teams plus old SWC members Houston and SMU, plus Memphis and some combo of Tulsa, New Mexico, Tulane, UCF, USF to get to 10.

How nice would it be to play all the teams in your conference every year? And for conferences to be regional again?

How nice would it be to play all the teams in your conference every year? And for conferences to be regional again?
i thought i heard big 12 twelve promo say last night they play every team in their conference ?

That is so millennial. I rather the P5 have its own division. I want less inclusion not more. Having a multi loss G5 team access to get hot and win would kill the sport. College BBall is ruined by Cinderellas. It makes for bad final fours.

I was born in 1979.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom