The Frank Howard Roller Coaster Ride | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The Frank Howard Roller Coaster Ride

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be a big part of JB's gameplan or philosophy any more. Instead, it's slow the tempo, pound the ball into the hardwood and hope for buckets from the guards or putbacks.

We had short, fast, strong John Gillon. How did that work out on average?

I think Buffalo had a great game plan that we will see in every game in the ACC. Body Frank as much as possible, post up and attack PC and don't guard Marke or MM, helping out on Battle and OB.
Agreed. Facing smaller, lesser teams, as we have, we can overcome that. But when the players and defenses are better, then what? Frank is going to, and should be, harassed 3/4 court every game, all game. PC is going to get pushed around inside. Marek and MM will be forced to beat teams. That's just how it's going to be and the way it should be, from an opposition standpoint. We have 3 capable offensive players who teams will do everything they can to limit.

Agreed. Facing smaller, lesser teams, as we have, we can overcome that. But when the players and defenses are better, then what? Frank is going to, and should be, harassed 3/4 court every game, all game. PC is going to get pushed around inside. Marek and MM will be forced to beat teams. That's just how it's going to be and the way it should be, from an opposition standpoint. We have 3 capable offensive players who teams will do everything they can to limit.
That's why we're a fringe Top 25/Bubble Team and not a Top 4 seed Lock. The teams not named Duke/UNC/Miami have holes & weaknesses that we can expose as well.

There were times he pushed it but too often he showed that same tendency/syndrome of pounding the rock into the hardwood in one place wasting time. Granted he was huge with some big shots and heroics since Frank was unplayable. But, good defensive teams like Miami in the ACCT gave him extra attention, hounded him, and we were done.

Great point about not playing downhill. It happens on run outs and often off the one-high screen. When he does attack, he has success. But it seems that the moons need to align for him to get his shoulder turned on his defender.
Frank is not the only SU guard to have this issue. Triche struggled with it too. He started all 4 years for us, but in his first couple seasons, BT got stripped a bunch of times bringing the ball up against heavy pressure. It takes time to adjust to being on an island, and I was happy to see Tyus helping out but even he had trouble with very quick and aggressive Buffalo guards. I think Frank will overcome this. The officials let both teams, but especially Buffalo, get away with a lot of contact (maybe too much).

I'm more impressed that Frank won the game and went 3-4 from 3.

Last edited:
Same philosophy last year. Slow the tempo, grind 20 seconds on the shot clock before doing anything. It doesn't matter what player is running the point if the plan is to be a bottom 10th of the country tempo team and iso offense. Gillon's speed/quickness was utilized when we needed points.

I think people are way too hard on Frank, sure he makes few too many mistakes but when it matters he steps up! I pointed out on Twitter that his dribble seems to get a waist high while also dribbling slightly behind his body making it easier to steal and losing focus of the ball or hitting his hip,leg, etc. I just think he needs to tighten his handle up and maybe realize Chuckwu is pass attendee and Frank will be fine.

I am a fan of the FH experience but he needs to cut out the pick sixes where he gets stripped in the backcourt and there is no one between the opposition and the bucket. His teammates also need to help him out and show for the ball closer to halfcourt if he is being face guarded.

Dribble less, pass more, shoot less, drive more
I'd subscribe to that. FH is a low efficiency scorer and bad shots are just the same as TOs. Problem is that there aren't many other scorers.

M^2 should have scored about 30 points on backdoor alley oops last night considering they were leaving the baseline wide open for him. FH fed once on a helluva nice pass, but at some points it was hard to believe that Buffalo only had 5 guys out there, three on Tyus or Frank, two on Brissett, and one the off-guard and Moyer unguarded.

I'd subscribe to that. FH is a low efficiency scorer and bad shots are just the same as TOs. Problem is that there aren't many other scorers.

M^2 should have scored about 30 points on backdoor alley oops last night considering they were leaving the baseline wide open for him. FH fed once on a helluva nice pass, but at some points it was hard to believe that Buffalo only had 5 guys out there, three on Tyus or Frank, two on Brissett, and one the off-guard and Moyer unguarded.
Moyer's good enough to take advantage of the tractor trailer -sized space he's being given. He took it in once (scored on a floater) and shot it once from outside (didn't make it). I get that this was a close game and he had a short leash. But he's starting to get confidence and had a team-high 9 rbs. I'd like to see him shoot it more ... but his instructions probably track his jumper in practice. Hopefully that improves so he can take advantage.

Last edited:
15.4 ppg / 6.1 apg / 3.6 rbg / 2.0 spg

The way this board talks about the kid, you'd think his line was 5.0 / 1.5 / 0.5 / 0.5.
Too much emphasis on the negatives, IMO.
People are focusing attention on the turnovers, and I get it. But there is more to it.
Like having good intangibles at critical times? Granted he might've contributed to us being in those critical times, but...
Dribble less, pass more, shoot less, drive more
In a nutshell. When he focuses on this formula, good things tend to happen. We know he's capable, now its just a question of consistency.

Last edited:
I don't understand how anyone can be surprised when Frank can't bring the ball up or throws the ball away so often. This is the player he's been since he stepped foot on the Dome court. He's a bad ball handler, a weak passer who will throw some sweet ones from time to time and an all-around sloppy player.

His handle hasn't improved since his freshman year. He still dribbles high, away from his body and is terrible at warding off defenders. Getting picked multiple times at mid-court is just awful for a player in the ACC.

He's a 2-guard forced into the PG position. We've seen his success scoring the ball this year and his shot has gotten much better, but he's still a terrible ball handler.

Until last night he was not getting his pocket picked. Or bouncing balls off his feet etc. Most of his turnovers this year have been either passes or driving inside and getting the ball stripped.

OK. Answer me this.

If Frank was playing like last year how many games would we have won this year? For me the improvement is worth any amount of problems he has had so far.

Personally, I think some are rationalizing / candy-coating the volume of turnovers, but let's set that aside.

The kid is doing a LOT of very good things out there otherwise. He just needs to do a better job taking care of the ball, and not trying to make plays that aren't there.

And pay attention to the kid's demeanor when he is on the court -- always even keeled, never seems to get rattled or let bad plays affect him. Can't overstate what a positive development this is -- for both Frank AND our team.

Last year, his body language / behavior showed when he'd get flustered, and then his head wouldn't be in the right place. This year, he is proving to be unflappable. Very good quality for a lead guard. Even when he makes a bad play, it rolls off his back and doesn't prevent him from making a good play the next possession.

Now, about those turnovers...

OK. Answer me this.

If Frank was playing like last year how many games would we have won this year? For me the improvement is worth any amount of problems he has had so far.

Probably 6-5 or 5-6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom