The frustration I have is with leadership aka the athletic director | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The frustration I have is with leadership aka the athletic director

Why do any or you think the AD has the ability or the authority to remove or replace the basketball coach? He doesn’t. And those who do are telling you what they have told you before, “Get a life.”
Who does 'have the authority', and more importantly, who will get the BB coach replaced?

Can someone explain to me why the game being in NYC and Yankee stadium makes us more money than a home game, or what benefit it gives us?

I get NYC is a big “market”, but what’s that matter when it’s two mediocre college teams playing in a mostly empty baseball stadium? Do we get on ABC instead of ACCN?

I just don’t see where this adds money.
Generally for a neutral site game like this, the host (I.e. the Yankees) underwrites all costs and pays the participants. Hypothesis is the Yankees would provide a huge check to Syracuse to move the game funded by the Yankees and any corporate sponsors. And, unlike a bowl game, this would not be split with Pitt as they are just traveling to a different location for the game. Payday would likely be in the high seven figures is my guess. Pinstripe Bowl paid $4.2MM to each team for reference.

Not that this makes it right.

I don't get the sympathy for Wildhack. He knew when he signed up the JB transition and Dino extension were 2 of the big ticket items on his docket. All the wonderful stuff he is reportedly doing behind the scenes is awesome, but in P5 schools the AD's big job is transitioning programs to new directions when their football and basketball coaches are getting replaced. He knew the politics and the pressure when he took the job - get it done.

Who has ever managed a transition like this anywhere? Legendary HOF coach, former player and alum, legendary contributor in the community and he has not said he’s ready to go. The transition will be hard enough when he finally willingly hangs it up.

Who has ever managed a transition like this anywhere? Legendary HOF coach, former player and alum, legendary contributor in the community and he has not said he’s ready to go. The transition will be hard enough when he finally willingly hangs it up.
I get all that. He signed up knowing that and there are examples, Crum, Bowden...the ADs job is to do what's best for the university athletic programs. He signed up for the job, he needs to do it.

I get all that. He signed up knowing that and there are examples, Crum, Bowden...the ADs job is to do what's best for the university athletic programs. He signed up for the job, he needs to do it.
In fairness, he didn't, when he took the job we were still in the Hopkins coach in waiting mode and I guess at that time that transition was already planned out and all he had to worry about was what if Hopkins doesn't work out.

He may or may not have seen that transition blowing up coming.

In fairness, he didn't, when he took the job we were still in the Hopkins coach in waiting mode and I guess at that time that transition was already planned out and all he had to worry about was what if Hopkins doesn't work out.

Good point. My bad. Though I think he had to know.

Neither situation is the same. They both had incredible long time success, but still not the same as JB.

Crum 675 wins. Wasn’t a program alum, he went to Pierce agricultural (???) and finished at UCLA. Coached at UCLA And Pierce JUCO before getting to Louisville. Great Coach no doubt, but ties to the School and community not as deep.

And again, Bowden was also a Great coach, but didn’t have as deep of ties to the school and community as JB does. Bowden coached at 4 other schools before FSU including two others as head coach. Grew up in Alabama. Played most of his career at Samford.

Definitely legendary coaches at those schools, but not ties/roots as deep as JB has.

How do you know that he’s not doing what’s best for the university. What do you expect JW to do?

One of the biggest things that gives me doubts about Wildhack is the women's basketball controversy. He attributed all the players transferring to the new norm in college sports. Actually, it was because the egomaniac coach was physically, verbally, emotionally and mentally abusing his players. He stood by Hillsman and it took The Athletic article to expose it and it happened right under his nose, it seems like he had no clue. Didn’t the players request a meeting to air their grievances and no one from the athletic department showed or responded. This whole situation has bothered me for a long time about Wildhack.
Wildhack isn’t a sports guys (didn’t make his career as a player or coach), he’s an executive that’s been focused on developing content and making things looks good on a television. It doesn’t surprise me he struggles to recognize when coaches are failing and what it takes to be a great coach in this day and age. Hopefully he’s not the one that’s leading the next head coach search. My fear is Syracuse thinks they need to continue with tradition after JB finally leaves, which means they go with an internal hire. The college basketball landscape has changed dramatically in the past 5 years. They need to find a coach that understands the current landscape and can position SU basketball to thrive in the new landscape.

Wildhack isn’t a sports guys (didn’t make his career as a player or coach), he’s an executive that’s been focused on developing content and making things looks good on a television. It doesn’t surprise me he struggles to recognize when coaches are failing and what it takes to be a great coach in this day and age. Hopefully he’s not the one that’s leading the next head coach search. My fear is Syracuse thinks they need to continue with tradition after JB finally leaves, which means they go with an internal hire. The college basketball landscape has changed dramatically in the past 5 years. They need to find a coach that understands the current landscape and can position SU basketball to thrive in the new landscape.
completely agree, zero experience in athletic administration, he's an ESPN/TV guy which helps the ACC but does little to help SYR compete and manage a P5 athletic department.

completely agree, zero experience in athletic administration, he's an ESPN/TV guy which helps the ACC but does little to help SYR compete and manage a P5 athletic department.

To be fair, I think JW is personally in a no win situation and he knows it.

If he steps in and forces JB's hand and JB goes full tantrum mode into his corner with the big donors behind him... Whatever happens, Wildhack likely gets the boot for mishandling the situation.

If he does nothing, he will eventually get the boot as well for dereliction of duty...

If he wants to keep his job for as long as possible, he kicks the can down the road as long as he can... Which is what we are witnessing I believe

You can bet if he attempts to force JB out, priority 1 for JB will be to make sure JW goes too.

If there is disagreement between JB and SU on the timing and manner of his departure I fully expect that those issues will be decided at the BOT level.

I’m shocked at the number of AD’s, BOT’s, and Chancellor’s we have on this forum. Everyone here seems to know exactly to do over professionals. Everyone here has the answer as if the people in charge must be clueless. It’s almost comical. Let’s have the people making these decisions make them before everyone goes off the deep end. I too think it’s time for JB to retire, but people with a heck of a lot more insight than me will and should make the call.

JW knows exactly what we need which in todays NIL world dont alienate the donors. If anyone on the board thinks Jim , weitz, the BOTs and big guns that love jim are going to be thrilled with Jims tree being chopped down your delusional.

I think this transition is the reason Coyle left. I know he told people that he felt the place was "dysfunctional" from an AD perspective. Coyle was CLEARLY in Hop's corner...and I think Coyle realized it was going to be very hard, if not impossible, to transition to Hop.

So he left the job to the next guy and started looking...

JW knows exactly what we need which in todays NIL world dont alienate the donors. If anyone on the board thinks Jim , weitz, the BOTs and big guns that love jim are going to be thrilled with Jims tree being chopped down your delusional.
Doesn’t mean that’s the correct direction to take Syracuse basketball. There’s only one acceptable SU alum to take over for JB. His name is Jason Hart. By no means is it a guarantee he will be successful, but at least he knows how to navigate the current landscape of high school superstars. Hiring Red or GMac would be taking the lazy route.

Doesn’t mean that’s the correct direction to take Syracuse basketball. There’s only one acceptable SU alum to take over to JB. His name is Jason Hart. By no means is it a guarantee he will be successful, but at least he knows how to navigate the current landscape of high school superstars. Hiring Red or GMac would be taking the lazy route.
I agree…..I think based on what we know, Hart has the highest upside.

And if he fails….what are we clinging to? We’re bad, boring, and our coach publicly embarrasses himself every couple weeks on average. Hart can’t do much worse than Boeheim has in the 20’s.

I think this transition is the reason Coyle left. I know he told people that he felt the place was "dysfunctional" from an AD perspective. Coyle was CLEARLY in Hop's corner...and I think Coyle realized it was going to be very hard, if not impossible, to transition to Hop.

Smart guy.

I’m shocked at the number of AD’s, BOT’s, and Chancellor’s we have on this forum. Everyone here seems to know exactly to do over professionals. Everyone here has the answer as if the people in charge must be clueless. It’s almost comical. Let’s have the people making these decisions make them before everyone goes off the deep end. I too think it’s time for JB to retire, but people with a heck of a lot more insight than me will and should make the call.

Those professionals don't seem to be doing a great job.

It’s his job.

44cuse
His job is whatever the board and the chancellor define it as, in this case I don’t think terminating the men’s basketball coach is one of his responsibilities

A lot of times we hear "you don't know what's going on behind the scenes." And while that might be true, the outcome/effect of what is or isn't is pretty clear.

Having gone to school - and served on the Alumni Board - under Jake and Gross, we had our ups and downs.

But under Wildhack - who probably wasn't expected since they got blindsided by Coyle - it's been downs and downs (for the most part). One good football season (who was mostly recruited under Gross), and a .567 win percentage, including the current season.

That's not good. This Boeheim retirement stuff is now a full distraction.

I will say that Minnesota basketball has been awful...

Translation: Jim has too much power and influence on the board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom